Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

BMW 335 opticoat job

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Teamspeed Member
Envious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enough
BMW 335 opticoat job

BMW 335
TWO STEP WITH OPTICOAT

This client of mine called me up and was concerned about the long term protection of his car, no so much having the whole thing restored to a perfect condition. We went over some options and decided on a one step process. Upon arrival, it was clear that a one step would not work out and I ended up doing a very in depth two step on the car to remove about 90-95% defects from the paint. This really amped the gloss ten fold, and made the paint more clear to the eye! When you remove the swirls and scratches from the paint, you allow more depth, gloss, clarity to show! At the end of all the polishing, I ended up using carpro erasure to remove the polishing oils and leave the surface bare and ready for longer lasting protection…opticoat! This is an actual coating rather than just a sealant wax which will provide longer lasting, more durable, more scratch resistant protection to the paint…exactly what the client was looking for in the end!

Starting off condition:
Name:  new335001.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  75.4 KB
Name:  new335005.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  70.7 KB

This specific spot, as well as two others, had bird dropping etchings that needed a more aggressive approach to remove
Name:  new335008.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  63.2 KB

Ended up touching up a few spots around the car
Name:  new335018.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  72.2 KB

Exhaust tips were cleaned up with chemical guys metal shine
Name:  new335024.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  41.4 KB

Tires degreased with meguairs degreaser and brush, then pressure washed off
Name:  new335025.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  69.4 KB

Detailed image clay bar removed quite a bit of contaminants…used ONR for clay lube
Name:  new335032.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  34.4 KB

Pre-polishing condition around the car
Name:  new335037.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  37.6 KB
Name:  new335040.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  68.3 KB
Name:  new335041.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  new335047.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  105.6 KB

And the after shots BEFORE the opticoat application. I knew I wasn’t going to be able to finish in time to get good after shots, so I decided to pull it out after I was done polishing.
Name:  new335051.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  37.3 KB
Name:  new335054.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  54.8 KB
Name:  new335059.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  61.7 KB
Name:  new335061.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  94.4 KB

Name:  new335069.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  98.5 KB
Name:  new335080.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  91.9 KB
Name:  new335086.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  87.2 KB

Total time was about 11 hours all said and done.
Two step paint correction process
Opticoat application

Meguiars 105, menzerna 203 (harder paint)
Carpro erasure
Optimum opticoat
Meguiars hyper dressing and glass cleaner
Chemical guys metal shine, V07
Griots DA, surbuf pads, hydro tangerine pad
Sonax wheel cleaner, ezdetail brush

Old 10-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!SPEEDANDTECH You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
excellent job. i think it looks fantastic.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Teamspeed Member
Envious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enough
yeah man, those pics are just from the polishing! The opticoat was finished around 730 at night, dark!