Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Toyota Supra Turbo - Massive Correction | Oakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Teamspeed Member
Oakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really nice
Toyota Supra Turbo - Massive Correction | Oakes

One of the most iconic cars in existance today, as we all very well know, has come through my doors. An example from 1995, mostly original paint and set up perfectly for that fun back road warrior and track day monster.

After seeing my work on other Supras as well as various exotics, the owner contacted me to hopefully bring this car back to life, cosmetically. Over the course of nearly 42 hours the beauty came back and she now shines like she's been in a bubble for the last 17 years.

As usual, the pictures do the talking here. From the full correction to the polishing of it's Forgeline wheels, I'll start it off with how she arrived!

As you can see, clearly has seen it's use and the elements, started off with the wheel polishing to bring the luster back to the polished lips. Here's how the looked before

After a few hours of hand polishing and finishing

Name:  8-1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  81.2 KB
Name:  9-1.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  81.1 KB
10. Name:  10-1.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  82.7 KB

After the wheels were wrapped up, the body was all masked off, headlights were polished and ceramic coated, as well as the wing removed after it was polished and sealed.

Name:  12-1.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  120.3 KB

As you can see, the wing had its fair shair of dirt and debris piled under, but otherwise no rust of corrosion which is always a plus! The condition of the paint however was less than desirable...

Name:  13-1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  90.3 KB
Name:  14-1.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  70.3 KB
15. Name:  15-1.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  73.3 KB
Name:  16-1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  64.5 KB

Black, White, and Red Supras were single stage paint, the metallic colors were more commonly a base/clear. Being a single stage, the car is much more subject to oxidation and sun damage, as well as being softer to marring and swirling.

After approximately 400 paint readings throughout the vehicle ranging anywhere from 75 microns to 400 microns in the repainted sections. I was going to have to change my process in each section so as to not be more aggressive than I needed to be. This is essential with any correction, more so with single stage cars as you can burn through it MUCH easier than a base/clear.

Once I performed my test spots and had my plan of attack lined up, I set up a few 50/50 shots to show the true difference with as minimal paint loss as possible, largest micron difference after correction was three microns removed. First on the fender...

Name:  17-1.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  67.5 KB
Name:  18-1.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  74.2 KB

Next on the drivers side door, which was still original paint

Name:  19-1.jpg
Size:  57.0 KB
20. Name:  20-1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  95.5 KB
Name:  21-1.jpg
Size:  55.3 KB

As you can see, the difference are rather dramatic and swirl/hologram free. Pulled the car outside from some finished sun snaps to really show the paints new condition!

Name:  22-1.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  103.7 KB
Name:  23-1.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  91.7 KB
Name:  24-1.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  101.2 KB
25. Name:  25-1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  121.1 KB

I of course made an effort to grab some photos of the gloss and depth of the paint in comparison to when it arrived

Name:  28-1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  115.1 KB
Name:  29-1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  134.1 KB
Name:  30.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  115.7 KB
30. Name:  31.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  106.9 KB
Name:  32.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  113.8 KB

Here are the finished overall profile photos of the vehicle all finished up. All the plastic under body pieces and chin spoiler were deep cleaned and sealed with protectant

Name:  Supra080.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  133.3 KB
Name:  Supra081.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  127.1 KB
Name:  Supra087-1.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  117.9 KB
35. Name:  Supra090-1.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  124.9 KB

Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Teamspeed Member
Oakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really nice

Name:  Supra100-1.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  178.2 KB

Here she is inside waiting to go home!

As always, thanks for looking! Feedback and comments always welcome and appreciated!

Nick Oakes

Old 08-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond repute
what an awesome car still to this day! great work!!

Old 08-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Teamspeed Member
Thank you! I agree, these cars still get most enthusiasts of all ages excited

Old 08-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Teamspeed Pro
PatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond repute
the car looks great. i still remember the people that drove these when they were new.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Teamspeed Member
A few Supras I maintain are still under their original owners! Pretty cool seeing the stories behind these cars.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Great work! I see that car down in OCMD for cruising weekend, so I've seen it in person and you truly have worked wonders on it! Seeing it up close this past October was stunning after seeing its previous condition.