Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

McLaren Detail MP4-12C (Auto Concierge & Immaculate Reflections)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 03:26 AM
TS Detailing Sponsor | California
Auto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant future
McLaren Detail MP4-12C (Auto Concierge & Immaculate Reflections)

Another joint detail completed by Jeff and I, recently a longtime client finally had his McLaren arrive to the San Francisco dealership(Which is in Palo Alto...) and he wanted us to prep the vehicle for clearfilm which was wrapped by Elite Films at the dealership so the vehicle would not have even the slightest chance of any damage.

We arrived early and were met by Daryl the service and parts director and he showed us great hospitality and then gave us a tour around the facility and then a short tutorial on the basic workings of the vehicle, my pics will come first then Jeff will add his nice pics of a special automobile and facilty @ McLaren San Francisco.

Light clay step.

Medium level compounding to get the finish ready.

Jeff using some solvent in the door crease to remove some left over compound.

Even though we were doing the latest offering, McLaren F1 still pulls "RESPECT"...............

Goshan and crew from Elite doing their part on the film wrap.

It would a few days later that my client would take delivery of the car and bring it home, here is the car upon completion but Jeff will now show the pics that brought us to this point from here on in.

Although this is the best view you can have of the car......behind the wheel.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:27 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Immaculate Reflections is on a distinguished roadImmaculate Reflections is on a distinguished road
Here are my pics from the wonderful time spent working on McLaren's new supercar....the MP4-12C! This is a car I've been looking forward to for some time and this car may seem conservative in pictures, but in person its much more aggressive looking and the exhaust note is nothing short of vicious. Much fun was had during the 2 days Bob and I spent on this car. McLaren of San Francisco treated us VERY well and were very accommodating to our needs and was a pleasure to work with them and am looking forward more in the future.

The metal flake is so vibrant and intense on this car that it made capturing the defects extremely difficult. The vast majority of my pictures were shot in full manual mode in addition to manually focusing nearly every picture.

Here is Bob wiping the car down while I start photo-documenting the car.

Bob claying...

A few of the defects we found....we would find a lot more later

Scratches by the headlight removed..

Bob and I working the paint together

Some sand scratches

Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Immaculate Reflections is on a distinguished roadImmaculate Reflections is on a distinguished road

At this point the prep work was all done and while the clear bra guys were wrapping the front, I snapped some pics of other cool stuff at the dealership.....Let's start it off with an actual retired F1 car!

A couple other McLarens....

This silver has SO much metal flake in the paint...it was blinding.

This is also a Fisker dealer and there were about 10 Fisker Karmas here! The all electric super-luxo sports car is gorgeous in person and again the metal flake was the brightest I've ever seen on a car. They make a cool sound as they go by (for pedestrian safety).

That's a whole lot of Karma!

As I was snapping pics, I spotted them wheeling this mechanical marvel out of service and into the showroom....had to get pics of it. The guys at the dealership were very accommodating in this respect and didn't mind the pictures which was very cool of them.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Teamspeed Rookie

Bob posing next to the rolling chassis.

The MP4-12C parked next to its older brother....the big daddy McLaren F1!

Fast forward a few days....The owner had taken delivery and gone on a few fun drives. But now it was time to do the remainder of the correction work and get this car to a full 100% perfect.

Had you noticed there are no door handles on this car?....Bob demonstrates the secret here....

Once Bob got inside, he fit very comfortably......I did too. Its a nice place to be

Bringing it outside for the wash and decontamination

Sonax doing its thing on the wheels

Here I am getting the left front wheel dialed in...

Looking nice

Sonax turning all the embedded iron particles that nice dark red color and ready for cleaning....

Bob foamed the car and then we started the wash process.

Gotta love the FOAM!

Old 03-03-2012, 03:29 AM
Teamspeed Rookie

Flooding the paint to carry the majority of the water off the surface

Using the electric leaf blower to assist in getting the water out of the tight places.

Wiping up the last of the water....

Bob taking readings on the paint thickness

Nice and healthy readings

More defects to be sorted out....

Old 03-03-2012, 03:29 AM
Teamspeed Rookie

Making progress.....

Check out that reflection of the owner's Scuderia

Compounding on the back end....

50/50 shot

Scratches in a bad place....not an easy place to get to....much time hand polishing was spent here as even our smallest machines could not reach all the way.

Deep tracer scratch on the roof....

After several compounding hits, its looking ship shape again.

We finished the final correction with minutes to spare to get sun pics. We hustled for you guys to get these shots.

We brought it back in for a few shots before putting the Swissvax Concorso wax on.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:30 AM
Teamspeed Rookie

The carbon fiber cockpit.....oh so nice

Interior shots...

Old 03-03-2012, 03:31 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Bob doing the only thing you can do in the driver's seat of this car.....grinning ear to ear!

Engine shots

Thanks for looking!

Old 03-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Teamspeed Member
depthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your first 12c detail what did you think now you have seen it in up close and the flesh?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
EuroToy is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome job and your customer has amazing taste- ACR, Scud, and McLaren= WIN.

Quick Reply: McLaren Detail MP4-12C (Auto Concierge & Immaculate Reflections)