Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

2008 Audi A8L Restorative Correction

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 12:19 AM
TS Detailing Sponsor | California
Auto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant future
2008 Audi A8L Restorative Correction

Dicerning client that sought me out to optimize his Audi A8's appearance, he purchased the vehicle from a private owner and well the vehicle had been taken thru an automated wash so the finish was dry and marred, in addition the wheels had been cleaned with acidic cleaners and it showed.

Car as it arrived to my facility.

"B" pillars with usual marring.

Dried out trim.

Hard water etching on the hood.

Scratches & marring.

50/50's.

RIDS on the hood.

Most of the readings were good, however on a few spots caution was taken.

50/50's of the trunklid.

Reverse angle pics.

Entire trunklid corrected.

More hard water etching.

Corrected.

Deep RIDS that required sanding.

Plenty of clear to effect the repair.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Auto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant future
Scratch corrected.

Fuel cover door had been re-sprayed, and with that some shrink.The color match was good but the door needed sanding to match the adjacent quarter panel(Note the halogen reflection on the left is not clear, halogen on the right is O.E finish).

During wetsand step.

After compounding the door has matching texture.

Evidence of "Tunnel wash marring".

After first hit with M105/D301.

Marring on trunklid.

Correction steps.

Marring on right rear quarter.

Looking much better.

Sanded fuel door fine polished.

I would later tell my customer I feel someone "Keyed" the right rear door, usually this has a bad ending(Repaint required) but there were healthy readings and I corrected the deep scratch.

After sanding, I pulled out the DeWalt and the "Wooley mammoth edge black pad and went to work.

After using the black pad I switched to the aqua polishing wool, then medium polished the panel........disaster avoided.

Evidence of "Tunnel wash" wash brush material lodged in the headlight!!.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Dirty engine bay was next on the list.

After engine pics.

Finished down gas door, only to clean trim of compound and it would be done.

Undetermined substance on the spokes of the wheel.

Removed.

Finished product.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Interior pics.

"Black cherry" finish now looking as it should.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
slik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura about
Simply put: "aaaaahhhhhhhh" Nice to see another great car brought back from "average" to "outstanding".

You forgot to include a video clip of the owner tap-dancing with joy on pick-up day. At least I would have, had this been my Audi.

Well done and well documented.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:17 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
LaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond repute
Amazing transformation!

Old 03-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Matt has a reputation beyond repute
My favorite year for the A8! What a great job restoring it to better than showroom condition!

Old 03-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond reputebdeitemeyer has a reputation beyond repute
I hope the owner was very appreciative of you bringing that car back to life!

Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 AM
This won't end well
65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute65°V12 has a reputation beyond repute
I find your line of work absolutely awe-inspiring. Great work!

Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond reputeGregV has a reputation beyond repute
amazing great work!!!

Quick Reply: 2008 Audi A8L Restorative Correction