Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

07 Porsche GT3 Restorative Detail

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:26 AM
TS Detailing Sponsor | California
Auto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant future
07 Porsche GT3 Restorative Detail

Completed today(11-27-2010) this car was one of my more challenging vehicles I have done recently. The paint issues were many(re-spray on the whole drivers side of the car) with sand scratches, deep marring and everywhere except the re-sprayed areas paint thiness averaging in the 100 micron measurement.

Here is the beginning.

Sand scratches.

After initial pass with M105 and wool on the rotary.

Nice scuff on the rear bumper.

The rear decklid was re-sprayed as well, in addition to the deep marring the body shop had put the "GT3" badge on crooked......that alone made me remove it and order a new one from the dealer.

First of the 50/50 pics.

Deep RIDS & marring.............lovin it.

After the initial cleaning there was still quite a bit of tar and rubber on the wheels which was evidence of "Track B**ch" status from the previous owner.

Missing my lift in the shop about this time.....

Bird drop etch along with the marring.

Marring and holograms.................my favorite (especially on hard paint suckness).

More pics of "The horror".

Rear fender clear film was not looking good...........

After the first step of compounding.

After medium polishing, the film looked pretty good after the jewelling step later in the job.

The previous owner must have been a "Nail salon owner" look at the marring.

After initial compounding stage.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:27 AM
Auto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant future
More sand scratches.

Corrected out.

Body shop missed these sand scratches too(Notice a trend?) lol.

Trying out some new gear(which I cannot talk about yet).

Working the passenger front quarter.

Looking better.

DA sanding marks.

After compounding.

Bird poop etch.

Not much to work with here, I treaded lightly(understatement).

After compounding.

All gone........

Did I already mention I miss my lift?.

Finish is coming back!!!

Fortunate to be working in this economy.........and while it is pouring rain.

Checking the finish during fine polishing.

As it would turn out this was the only sun pic I could take.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Dirty engine bay.

Working the steamer.

Crusty area after apc/steam before polishing the paint.

Everything cleaned, now dressing applied and then polish all painted areas.

Removed the wing and corrected the finish in this area.

After medium polishing step.

Underside of the wing had heavy peel(Imagine that!), so I sanded with Unigrit 1500/trizact 3000/Abralon mesh 4000.

"GT3" New badge affixed.

Finished engine bay.

No sun pics today:sorry:

Interior pics.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:30 AM
"Supercleaness".

Cleaned this area which usually gets missed(area at the bottom of the rear window.

The car has lot's of "Patina" still, but the new owner is going to also take it to the track where this car belongs.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Teamspeed Pro
0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
My M3 has the same problems but im gona get it resprayed in march so for now i'll just get it polished. You did an awesome job on this car and it shows!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
PaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond reputePaulGeudon has a reputation beyond repute
Lovely job - shame a GT3 can get into that state.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Teamspeed Member
depthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished roaddepthofshine is on a distinguished road
good work, you could do with a young trainee to do all the lowers of the car saves all that bending. These are really nice cars to work on and it looks amazing.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
slik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura about
Good work? Hell, this is OUTSTANDING! This car would have whipped a lesser man.

Well done, Bob!!!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Hot Shot has a reputation beyond reputeHot Shot has a reputation beyond reputeHot Shot has a reputation beyond reputeHot Shot has a reputation beyond reputeHot Shot has a reputation beyond reputeHot Shot has a reputation beyond reputeHot Shot has a reputation beyond reputeHot Shot has a reputation beyond reputeHot Shot has a reputation beyond reputeHot Shot has a reputation beyond reputeHot Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Outstanding. Your work is always impressive!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by depthofshine
good work, you could do with a young trainee to do all the lowers of the car saves all that bending. These are really nice cars to work on and it looks amazing.

BTDT......lol,had the "Young guy(s)" working with me in the past and one even told me he could not do the lower areas because his knees were bad, my thought at the time was "You are in the wrong business my friend".

This job was mobile and @ my shop I have a scissor lift to help with this type of job task(doing lower panels).

Quick Reply: 07 Porsche GT3 Restorative Detail