Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Need some help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
Need some help!

Two questions guys, sorry if these have been posted/answered before, but search didn't show anything for me.

1. What do you use to remove old waterspots from paint and windows? I'm talking about the residue left on the car after it gets rained or sprinkler'ed on. I've washed and clayed the paint but the spots didn't come out. I've tried auto-class cleaner on the windows (not the paint) and that didn't work either.

2. I don't know what this part of the car is called, or really how to describe it, so here's a pic. How do i clean the black area around the small back-seat window? It's not painted, and it's not glass. What should I use to take care of it?

Old 07-22-2010, 11:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
If the water has etched into the clearcoat (which it sounds like it has), then you have no choice but polish it. If you don't have a rotary or random orbital, you'll have to take it to a detailer to get it done.

As far as the 'black thing', if it's not glass, what is it? Is it rubber trim??? Without knowing what it's made of, can't offer any suggestions.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:13 AM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
If the water has etched into the clearcoat (which it sounds like it has), then you have no choice but polish it. If you don't have a rotary or random orbital, you'll have to take it to a detailer to get it done.

As far as the 'black thing', if it's not glass, what is it? Is it rubber trim??? Without knowing what it's made of, can't offer any suggestions.
I have no idea what it is. It doesn't feel like plastic, and I don't think it's glass. It's certainly not rubber though.

If i bought a polishing pad that I could attach to a normal electric drill would that work? I have no experience with detailing beyond washing/claying/waxing with an applicator pad.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:31 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
LordoftheWheel is an unknown quantity at this point
First mask off the rubber parts so you don't get any wax or dried wax residue as it is a pain to get rid of! Then take a microfiber towel (a new one) and Meguiars m 205 Polish and do small sections at a time, rubbing in a back and forth motion with a little pressure. The Polish is very thin (almost like water) so apply it to the rag first. If they dont come off you can try using compound, but most of them are too abrasive to use by hand and will scratch, you figure great no water spots but tons of swirls If they come out use a quality sealant after to protect it from happening again. Hope this helps

Old 07-23-2010, 01:33 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
LordoftheWheel is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by STLG
I have no idea what it is. It doesn't feel like plastic, and I don't think it's glass. It's certainly not rubber though.

If i bought a polishing pad that I could attach to a normal electric drill would that work? I have no experience with detailing beyond washing/claying/waxing with an applicator pad.
If you have no exp. I'd say no as u can burn paint and rubber in a blink of an eye!!! I'll take spots over burn marks any day, and you have a white car..be happy its not black it would drive you insane

Old 07-23-2010, 01:34 AM
Because I said so.
CrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond reputeCrazyRuskie has a reputation beyond repute
AFAIK that area surrounding the small window IS glass, at least that's how I remember it when I had my G37S.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:57 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by LordoftheWheel
First mask off the rubber parts so you don't get any wax or dried wax residue as it is a pain to get rid of! Then take a microfiber towel (a new one) and Meguiars m 205 Polish and do small sections at a time, rubbing in a back and forth motion with a little pressure. The Polish is very thin (almost like water) so apply it to the rag first. If they dont come off you can try using compound, but most of them are too abrasive to use by hand and will scratch, you figure great no water spots but tons of swirls If they come out use a quality sealant after to protect it from happening again. Hope this helps
Ah thanks. So back and forth, not circular motions? Does it matter?

Originally Posted by LordoftheWheel
If you have no exp. I'd say no as u can burn paint and rubber in a blink of an eye!!! I'll take spots over burn marks any day, and you have a white car..be happy its not black it would drive you insane
The car in the pic isn't mine, just the same type of car. Mine is actually "Blue Slate," it's a dark blue. Here's a pic of the same color, though it's not mine.

Originally Posted by CrazyRuskie
AFAIK that area surrounding the small window IS glass, at least that's how I remember it when I had my G37S.

Oh i see, so I guess I should try the glass cleaner again. Thanks!

Old 07-24-2010, 09:03 AM
Teamspeed Member
Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Two questions guys, sorry if these have been posted/answered before, but search didn't show anything for me.

1. What do you use to remove old waterspots from paint and windows? I'm talking about the residue left on the car after it gets rained or sprinkler'ed on. I've washed and clayed the paint but the spots didn't come out. I've tried auto-class cleaner on the windows (not the paint) and that didn't work either.

2. I don't know what this part of the car is called, or really how to describe it, so here's a pic. How do i clean the black area around the small back-seat window? It's not painted, and it's not glass. What should I use to take care of it?
As Bonehead has said above, if the water spots have already etched the paint you'll need to have it polished. To determine that, give your car a thorough bath then with a sponge (preferably a baby washing sponge from the supermarket) wash an affected area with vinegar. Yep, vinegar . And wear gloves because you'll stink to high hell for days if not! Vinegar will remove them from the windows, also.

The part of the car I think you're referring to is the A pillar, which is plastic in most cases and should be waxed the same as the rest of the car. Hope that helps!

- Jesse

Old 07-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Banned
^Thanks a lot (to everyone). I'm going to try everything in a day or too and see how it works. If the spots are etched in the paint, polish will more than likely get it out if polished correctly right?

Old 07-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Teamspeed Member
Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
^Thanks a lot (to everyone). I'm going to try everything in a day or too and see how it works. If the spots are etched in the paint, polish will more than likely get it out if polished correctly right?
It should come out with a light polish .