Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

2010 Nissan Skyline GTR... used and abused!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:56 AM
Teamspeed Member
Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
2010 Nissan Skyline GTR... used and abused!

Hi all! I wasn't going to post this any time soon (I've got a million other things going on now and some of you know what they are ) but this one threw me for a bit of a loop (upset me in other words) and I thought I'd share with the rest of you so you don't get into the same situation as I did. I waxed this car about 1 month ago and polished out a very noticeable scratch that was on it (only a few weeks old at the time) and then scheduled it for a light polish to remove the dealer-induced swirls, which was 1 week ago. A mere month had passed and since then the "homies" had taken their toys (Scuderia, M3, GTR) out to the lake, the track, etc. Unfortunately I don't have the capacity to wash their cars at will (as they'd like, because they need them washed very sporadically) so they take their cars to the local car wash next door. I warned them of the dangers but they don't care as long as I can polish it and make it better again (as much as possible... good for me ).

Anyway, when I scheduled the "light polishing" the state the car was in could have been cleared up with a finishing polish and a DA... maximum 3 hours. When I got the keys last week (awesome car to drive...) I was completely shocked at the state it was in after only a couple of weeks!!!! Take a look >>

Nice foam bath and then a wash...

revealed this >> :angry :nervous2:

So my dilemma was that the keys were left for me along with the agreed amount of money, but the car was in roughly 4x worse condition than when I saw it last. What's a boy to do??? My premeditated combo for this buttery paint didn't really put a dent in the damage that was on the car, therefore I opted to bite the bullet and make my customer *a VERY good customer* happy and do a one-stage rotary correction, which threw my schedule completely off. I started off with a medium polish that would technically finish most jobs hologram-free, but this was crappy Japanese paint so it corrected well but the time it took to finish perfectly was far too much than I'd originally alloted. So I had to step down to a lighter polish that didn't correct as much, but left a hologram-free finish with the one step that I had time for.

I always strive for perfection and if it's not achieved, yes I do lose sleep because it drives me nuts. The owner was happy with the amount of correction I was able to achieve with a one-step, but I wasn't. There were still swirls in the paint and deep scratches, but I guess I just have to let them go . Anyway, I guess the moral of this story is that you should always quote a price for polishing a car right when the keys are handed over. It was a cloudy day when these were taken so you really can't see the (very minor) swirls in the paint.

Thanks for reading and to all the Playboy subscribers, thanks for "reading"!

- Jesse O'Connor