Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

1991 black Acura NSX - quick writeup

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Esoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to all
1991 black Acura NSX - quick writeup

This 1991 Acura NSX (first year produced) came to me all the way from Indianapolis for a major restoration detail. The owner drove 3.5 hours to bring it to me, then hung out in Columbus for the weekend, and drove 3.5 hours back after I was finished. The weather had been looking a bit sketchy on the final day, but we got lucky and the rain held off for his drive home.

For a 19 year old car with 16K on the clock, it was actually in pretty good condition. There had been some previous paintwork done to it and the body shop left me with sanding pigtails and other issues to deal with, but otherwise it wasn't as bad as you may expect. Having said that though, the paint was very finicky to deal with. Despite fully prepping the surface, I found that it took very aggressive means to get rid of the defects, yet with even light pressure it would mar the finish. It was like a combination of rock-hard Audi paint combined with BMW Jet Black. It took a bit of an odd combination of polishes/pads to get it to finish down the way I needed, and I spent 11 hours on the compounding stage alone with wool and Megs M105. To finish I used Menzerna PO203S on an orange pad with the PC7424XP. Final stages were Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze, and then followed by Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant.

Before photos:

There were a few major defects on the hood that I needed to do a little wetsanding on.

This was after compounding with M105 and wool:

The next two shots are after testing with PO203S/orange/PC. I found my winning combo for this particular paint.

Before:

After:

Pigtails from previous D/A sanding done on the car:

After several passes with wool/compound, but before finish polishing:

Plenty of clarity restored:

After shots:

It was mostly cloudy out, so I couldn't get really good outside or direct sun shots. Correction level was in the 90-95% range.

Given the amount of time involved, and the efforts that the owner went through to have me work on his car, I gave him a t-shirt!

Total time involved was right at 22 hours.

Thanks as always!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:07 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
My goodness this looks better then brand new and it's a 91'!!!
Sick work as always Todd!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:12 PM
jox
TEAMSPEED.COM
jox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond reputejox has a reputation beyond repute
Wow!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
bugraluleci is on a distinguished roadbugraluleci is on a distinguished roadbugraluleci is on a distinguished roadbugraluleci is on a distinguished roadbugraluleci is on a distinguished road
incredible job for a 19 year old paint... wow

Old 05-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
Better than new. Detailing is amazing. Owner must have been amazed by the results.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:59 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Randy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond repute
The results are amazing! The interior looks great too. Nice job on a badass car.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:30 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
LaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond repute
Great Job! The NSX is really growing on me these days...it's only taken me 20 years, but everytime I see one I think about getting one.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:33 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Randy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond reputeRandy@DomaniMotors has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LaneS@macarbon.com
Great Job! The NSX is really growing on me these days...it's only taken me 20 years, but everytime I see one I think about getting one.
Get one Lane! They are really fun to drive, mid-engined, and with aftermarket intake/exhaust they sound awesome!

Old 05-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Esoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to allEsoteric is a name known to all
Thanks to everybody for the compliments!

Old 05-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Banned
Jo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond reputeJo_Switzer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LaneS@macarbon.com
Same here!