Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

What Buffer to get for paint protection?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
What Buffer to get for paint protection?

Im going to buy a buffer so I can get going on some paint correction and wanted to know what you guys use. Any recomendations or reason to or not to get one over another? Id like to buy from somelike Phil@detailersdomaign so I can help out a forum sponser.

Thanks Guys

Old 05-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
slik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura aboutslik560 has a spectacular aura about
If you are just starting out, I would strongly recommend a random orbital buffer and not a rotary. The rotary units are high-performance, but there is a definite learning curve and it's best to log some serious experience with an orbital so as not to damage or burn the paint. There is a lot of information out there on detailing-oriented web sites, and even our sponsors will likely tell you to start slow and learn the craft.

I use a Griot's Garage random orbital, but that's just a preference. FLEX makes some excellent units, and I think they have one that is safer than a conventional rotary. Believe me, there are more opinions out there than you can count. Do as much research as you can, get as much advice and instruction as you can, pick a buffer, then just do it!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
I've done my due diligence on this topic and hands down the way to go is the Flex 3401. Safety of a random orbital but high enough speeds to afford a very good correction.
As said above, stay away from rotary buffers like the Makita or Flex 3403 unless you know what your doing. While they may give you the ability to get a faster correction, they can also burn the paint if you're a novice.
Porter Cable and it's brethren (ie the RO's from Griots or Meguiers) are safe as well but not as effective as a Flex.
Only significan. Downsides to the 3401 are the price (almost twice that of the Porter Cable) and the lack of backing plate choices due to their proprietary design.

I'm still trying to decode if the cost of a polisher and the supplies is justified seeing as I would use it once or maybe twice a year. But if I ever pull the trigger, it will definitely be the Flex.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
I started with a RO got tired of it and took the next step to a Cyclo Polisher. Dual heads that both rotate in a random, but fixed motion. You get the best of both worlds and less chance to really screw up. They are heavy and built like a tank, but it will last forever.

Cyclo Toolmakers

Old 05-11-2010, 06:53 PM
nrz
Teamspeed Senior Member
nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!nrz You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I started with a Porter Cable 7424 and upgraded to the Flex 3401. It is a much stronger unit and works awesome!! You can still get very good correct, almost rotary level using the Keven Brown method and smaller pads on the units like the Griots, Meguiars and PC. The Griots seems to be the best entry level unit with lifetime warranty and the most power of the three units (and almost as much power as a Flex). I have both seeing as how it wasnt worth selling the PC for peanuts and I can put 4 inch pads on it to perform spot buffing or polishing in tight spaces. There are lots of great forums specific to detailing that may offer more resources then here.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Im also running a Flex 3401 now, its expensive but a high quality. Maybe just try one first as it can vibrate the shit out of your arms. I wanna learn rotary now, but for the little cars I do, im not sure if its worth my while.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:11 AM
sal
Teamspeed Senior Member
sal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant futuresal has a brilliant future
I've just got a random orbital just to do light corrections, but if you are looking for something more heavy duty, I second the weird guy talking about the Cyclo. The results are definitely worth the price.

If you send Phil a message telling him what you're looking for, I'm sure he'd help you out. He's helped me out in the past just to sell little things like pads and polishes and is very quick with the replies.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sal
I've just got a random orbital just to do light corrections, but if you are looking for something more heavy duty, I second the weird guy talking about the Cyclo. The results are definitely worth the price.

If you send Phil a message telling him what you're looking for, I'm sure he'd help you out. He's helped me out in the past just to sell little things like pads and polishes and is very quick with the replies.
Weird? I like to think I'm just quirky.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
gmblack3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I prefer the Megs G110v2 over the XPPC.

The G110v2 has the following advantages IMO:

Less vibration.
Better overall feel in your hands.
Enough power to get the job done 90% of the time via the KBM.

I have never used the newer Griots polisher, the only issue I hear about is that with the increased power comes more vibration.

Over the last month I have been using a Festool FEQ 150. The price is very high at just under $500, but its has less then half of the vibration of the G110v2 which most likely has the least amount of vibration of the $150 machines. Plenty of power and easy to handle. It did blow out a grease seal on me, but Festool had it back to me in just over a week including shipping both ways. I can final polish with one hand while using the festool.

I used a flex 3401 for a few panels recently, plenty of power not much vibration at all. With its forced reverse rotation, it is a 2 hands on machine.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Smoke You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by gmblack3
I prefer the Megs G110v2 over the XPPC.

The G110v2 has the following advantages IMO:

Less vibration.
Better overall feel in your hands.
Enough power to get the job done 90% of the time via the KBM.

I have never used the newer Griots polisher, the only issue I hear about is that with the increased power comes more vibration.

Over the last month I have been using a Festool FEQ 150. The price is very high at just under $500, but its has less then half of the vibration of the G110v2 which most likely has the least amount of vibration of the $150 machines. Plenty of power and easy to handle. It did blow out a grease seal on me, but Festool had it back to me in just over a week including shipping both ways. I can final polish with one hand while using the festool.

I used a flex 3401 for a few panels recently, plenty of power not much vibration at all. With its forced reverse rotation, it is a 2 hands on machine.
I agree with Bryan on the G110 v2, I use mine regularly (and own 4 other machines including a 3401 Flex which I sold not too long ago)

I think the v2 is very well balanced and easy to handle where the Flex need a bit more attention. Plus using the flex in small areas is tough because you cannot change backing plates so you are limited to 6" pads or bigger.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Buffer to get for paint protection?