Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Ferrari 599 "factory" scratch removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:59 AM
TS Detailing Sponsor | California
Auto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant future
Ferrari 599 "factory" scratch removal

Here is a 599 I did in early 08, it was a few years ago that Ferrari built a completely new paint dept at the factory replete with robotic painting machines and new technology.......... however in my humble opinion since then the finishes on their new cars are as bad as ever do not get me wrong I still love the cars the way they look and drive but the spike in production has caused QC problems in the fit and finish dept.

Even brand new cars are requiring major paint correction work due to "factory sanding scratches" and severe machine holograms and on one 430 Scuderia I corrected a paint run that looked like Niagra Falls.

In this pic I dealt with a six an a half inch scratch(which was not a factory induced problem or the dealership btw).

This pic shows marring in addition to the scratch.

Getting started with wet sanding, initially 2000 grit moving to 3000 grit.

Scratch was corrected to a 95% level and looked like a shadow, paint reading in this case were a minimal 2.5 microns removed.

Compounding top of quarter panel with 3" pad in the tight spots

On this day the batteries went in my Fenix LED, but I always have back up equipment just for these occasions(the fenix is small and light, not the case with the kneecap buster police LED fashlight) checking for correction obtained.

The owner thought it was funny that a 265 pound guy could fit in the back of the car(but one of his pet peaves is clean streak free glass)so he grabbed my camera and took this pic.......

Interior, carbon shelled sport seats does it get much better than this?.

The correction took about 14 hours as I shot these pics early the following day

Old 10-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Teamspeed Member
G6OON is a name known to allG6OON is a name known to allG6OON is a name known to allG6OON is a name known to allG6OON is a name known to allG6OON is a name known to allG6OON is a name known to allG6OON is a name known to allG6OON is a name known to allG6OON is a name known to allG6OON is a name known to all
Always enjoy viewing your threads, as your work never ceases to amaze me.

Yet another amazing job.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Teamspeed Member
Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Ahh, nice to see another one of the Mario Bros' disasters saved! Shame that there's 1,000's more out there that we don't get to save... I wonder if the boys in Maranello have received my fruit basket yet??

Old 10-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
do you hv a pic of the scratch after correction?

Old 10-19-2009, 02:54 PM
TS Detailing Sponsor | California
Auto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant futureAuto Concierge has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by djantlive
do you hv a pic of the scratch after correction?

This one no, but yes on another 599 look for the upcoming post.