Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Melted!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
godoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Melted!

hey all

detailed my first 2006 bmw m5. my friend up here has had it for a year and it was badly gashed in the side door by an ex-girl friend. I buffed it out with a wool pad and a gloss it 4 inch backing plate. never realized how rough I had it with the lc backing plates. the gashes and scratches are all gone.

for my gererosity my friend let me work on the hood of his car and take a shot at all of the spiderwebs. hit them with a wool pad and some "extreme". came out wonderfully ut had light light hazing so I switched over to my pc and used a LC orange pad with gloss it lubricant to keep it going smoothly.

polished the hood of the car for about an 20 minutes with the pc and was finished. everything was better then he has ever seen the car before. I am going back tommorow to throw some wax on it, he had to run to work.

as I was putting everything away I pulled my orage pad from the pc and off came the middle of the backing plate. not the whole backing plate, just the middle section where the hook/loop (velcro) part is. it aparently melted while I was using it on the beamer and then glued itself to the back of the orage pad and came off with the pad.

now I have a great backing plate with no middle section to it.

have any of you ever experienced this before? the car was outside and some parts of it were in the sun but mostly shaded. never ever had this happen before and I have done alot of cars. this was my first time using the gloss it backing plates. the rotary backing plate was just heaven and so was the pc backing plate until I took off the pad.

anyways, looking for feedback, let me know

Old 08-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
godoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Update!

turns out that I used more preasure on the backing plate then it was originally designed for and this is what caused the excess build up of heat on the buffing pad to melt the backing plate.

just another rookie trying to keep up with the pros learning as he goes....

thanks all!

Old 08-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
CaRJoE0220 has a reputation beyond reputeCaRJoE0220 has a reputation beyond reputeCaRJoE0220 has a reputation beyond reputeCaRJoE0220 has a reputation beyond reputeCaRJoE0220 has a reputation beyond reputeCaRJoE0220 has a reputation beyond reputeCaRJoE0220 has a reputation beyond reputeCaRJoE0220 has a reputation beyond reputeCaRJoE0220 has a reputation beyond reputeCaRJoE0220 has a reputation beyond reputeCaRJoE0220 has a reputation beyond repute
Are we suppose to be seeing pics? I got nothing