Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Oakes - Detailed: 2003 Mini Cooper S - DD nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Teamspeed Member
Oakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really nice
Thank you! I've felt more strained on this little car than I have on some S-class Benzes and such haha

Old 08-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
the 50 50 shots are great!

Old 08-05-2009, 01:28 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Great job! I'm glad to see this writeup because I am doing one of these right now as well. Same color, same situation - total neglect for years. I have over 8 hours of just cleaning into the car so far with probably 2 more to go before I can start the correction. 3 hours were spent on the wheels alone - nothing would touch the baked on brake dust but laquer thinner. A few questions:

How hard did you find the paint?
Did you use a guage? Was there plenty of paint?
Which APC cleaner did you use on the wheels? Was the dust cooked on, or was there actual metal from the brakes cooked in? The wheels on mine were the same wheels and the "dust" was like concrete. I had to remove them from the car just to get the leverage to clean them off.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Teamspeed Member
Oakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really niceOakes is just really nice
Good luck!

The paint, is similar to BMW paint (ironic right?) It's hard but I wouldn't jump to a compound, Menzerna 203 was doing the job for most of the correction, just the deeper imperfections required a compound but at some points wet sanding was more required. I did not use a gauge on this car, I've done it before, and the paint looks healthy on it.

I used Ardex NewWave APC at first, did the job but the rear driver wheel was actually metal from the pads being so worn and baked in! I used Ardex...I forget the name, I have it in a no name bottle, I feel like it has "Blast" in it. POWERFUL stuff - NEED gloves and a mask but gets the work done. I spent an hour on just the face of that wheel.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
daedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond repute
Whatever they paid - it was worth it. A car that looks like that for sale... people will pay top dollar and discount the mileage a lot more than 95% of the other cars for sale at the same price point.

Great work!

Old 08-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
AudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Oakes
Good luck!

The paint, is similar to BMW paint (ironic right?) It's hard but I wouldn't jump to a compound, Menzerna 203 was doing the job for most of the correction, just the deeper imperfections required a compound but at some points wet sanding was more required. I did not use a gauge on this car, I've done it before, and the paint looks healthy on it.

I used Ardex NewWave APC at first, did the job but the rear driver wheel was actually metal from the pads being so worn and baked in! I used Ardex...I forget the name, I have it in a no name bottle, I feel like it has "Blast" in it. POWERFUL stuff - NEED gloves and a mask but gets the work done. I spent an hour on just the face of that wheel.
where are you located?

Old 08-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Nice job! The owner of that car isn't doing it any favors . . .

Old 08-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AudiRS
where are you located?
Originally Posted by Oakes
Thank you fellas! Sure needed help, I'm in West Chester, PA

Old 08-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by daedalus
Whatever they paid - it was worth it. A car that looks like that for sale... people will pay top dollar and discount the mileage a lot more than 95% of the other cars for sale at the same price point.

Great work!
Agreed sir! It's said the the cosmetic condition of the car accounts for approximately 40% of the value. Thanks!

Originally Posted by AudiRS
where are you located?
Originally Posted by Tsar
haha, as Tsar pointed out, I am in West Chester, PA, just north of the DE/PA border by 15 mins.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
FMINUS has a reputation beyond reputeFMINUS has a reputation beyond reputeFMINUS has a reputation beyond reputeFMINUS has a reputation beyond reputeFMINUS has a reputation beyond reputeFMINUS has a reputation beyond reputeFMINUS has a reputation beyond reputeFMINUS has a reputation beyond reputeFMINUS has a reputation beyond reputeFMINUS has a reputation beyond reputeFMINUS has a reputation beyond repute
Great Detail!!!!

Quick Reply: Oakes - Detailed: 2003 Mini Cooper S - DD nightmare