Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Sl 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
godoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Sl 500

So I took on my neighbors car today and ran into a couple problems. for starter the car is a 2002 SL 500 (silver) sport edition and he just drove it up her (seattle) from arizona where the car picked up alot of time in the sun and it shows.

the headlights were completely yellowed out and I took some plastic cleaner to them and that fixed the problem real quick. plan on sealing them with two to three coats of FMJ that I have.

now i know that mercedez and bmw, lexus and all the other high end cars are suppose to have very hard clear coats but damn, I thought that this being an 02 that it would just have a thicker coat of clear and would still polish down nicely.

had to take it all the way up to lake country purple wool with menzerna power gloss and that is after I experimented all they way from a white pad with 106ff to the lake country purple with SIP to where I am now. still....it takes a really long long time to get out the scratches, and I am talking about spiderwebs all over the thing.

my question is this, is there anything I can do to speed this up? I am using the makita rotary by the way.

Second, the rims on this car are stock but they have black tar build up that p21s took 80 percent off. I use bristle brushes but am thinking that I need a stronger brush but am fearing scraches to the rims. any suggestions on this one? dont want to go any stronger with the chemicals, have had bad experience with strong (non-ph balanced) chemicals before.

sorry for the long write up, would appreciate the input from any of you that have any.

thanks