Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

New guy :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Teamspeed Member
Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
New guy :)

Hi all!

Phil referred me to this site and after lurking for a bit I've decided to join in! A bit about me: I'm an American who's been living in Hungary for more than 8 years, I have hazel eyes, and well, we're not on a date here so I suppose that's enough about me . One thing I will add is that I'm a detailer and I love my job immensely. I wake up in the morning and there's nothing more satisfying in my life than my son tickling me on the toes to wake me up and knowing that there's another car out there for me to detail. Anyway, I'll post one of my works here and there's more to come if anyone's interested!

Well I can honestly say that I've never been a big Ferrari fan, but spending a lot of time with this one certainly changed my mind. The older Ferraris just didn't really "catch my eye" and they really weren't really geared towards comfort. The 599 definitely breaks the mold though; comfort, style, elegance and 620 reasons not to take the family wagon to work... a true gentleman's Ferrari. On to the detail. The car had some pretty bad RIDS all over it and was generally "hazy" from the other scratches, but being that the car is less than one year old and that it's a daily driver (scratches are inevitable), the owner and I agreed that a "deep" correction wasn't necessary. By deep I mean that there were some deep scratches that remained after the polishing. Now in the future when it needs to be polished again, I'll still have plenty of clear to play with. Here's some before pics of what I was up against:

Day 1

Some muck left in the badges

Looks like someone used that colored wax crap...

Some cowboy polishing burns...

Wax residue

My usual pre-polish snow foam mix of Organizone No-Touch snow foam (10%) and HD Extra degreaser (5%)... both 100% biodegradable, I love this stuff The wheels and tires were cleaned with Organizone GS-1, which is also 100% bio. This stuff is also awesome because it's got a ph value of 12.5, but when diluted even with 1% water it goes down to 7 making it safe for ceramic brakes.

Had to break out the waterproof gloves for this one as it was bowls cold outside!

I soaked the clay in warm water to prevent scratching and had to switch pieces about every half panel, as it was rock hard within seconds. Not too much contamination.

Hmm, buffer trails...

Not so visible in this light but if you look closely you can see some of the RIDS.

Generally hazy finish.

Mucky...

Bug marring on the clear bra. The clear bra will be replaced soon, because it's become quite worn within a short period of time and really makes the front of the car look awful.

I hate the hard water in this country!!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Teamspeed Member
Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Clever Nickname You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!

I started my test area with a Riwax finishing pad and some Insta Finish Micro Cut (cut 1 out of 5). I knew it wouldn't do a thing, but force of habit told me to start with the least abrasive combination... I think I even heard the ceramic finish call me "stupid" after a couple of passes . I then stepped up to Insta Finish Swirl Away (cut 2 out of 5) and that didn't do a thing either. Then I hit it with a Riwax polishing pad and Swirl Away, but that didn't get me where I wanted to be either so finally I tried Insta Finish Buff n' Shine with the polishing pad and it did the trick. This stuff adds some healthy oils to the paint and leaves a great foundation for wax. I worked the polish in with about 4 passes at 600, taking advantage of the cutting power before it diminished. Then I sped up to 900, 1200 then back down to 900 finishing it up. This left me with very minimal marring and some Riwax and Scholl finishing pads with Insta Finish Insta Cut #30 finished things up like a champ. Some random polishing pictures.

After about 5 passes with Buff n' Shine and a polishing pad

Next 2 pics, finished up with Insta Cut #30

Night, night! See you tomorrow...

Day 2

Cleaning around the badges with some baby Q-Tips and Auto Magic BC-2

Now this is cool... a gas tank bib! That was mighty thoughtful of them!

Some after polishing money shots in the sun with no LSP.

The first coat of wax was applied on night 2 just before I finished up, which gave it plenty of time to cure before day 3's adventure...

Old 05-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Teamspeed Member
Day 3

I don't know if any of you have ever tried spit shining a car before but believe me, the results are amazing! I learned how to spit shine back in the army and seeing just how glassy I could make my boots soon became an obsession for me. I actually made a lot of money back then spit shining peoples' boots because nobody else had the patience to do it. After doing a little research and testing I discovered that spit shining a car could be done the same way as boots. The trick to doing this is having an already cured wax foundation, which I did the night before, which gives the wax something to cling on to when you start spit shining it. With plenty of cold, distilled water you just have to keep polishing the wax, keeping it wet and cold so it doesn't cure, until it disappears. I tried it with a foam applicator first but it was too porous so I switched to a Swissvax style microfiber. Including the foundation wax, I put a total of 4 layers of Swisswax Concorso on this car and it was very time consuming... I think about 7 hours. I'll be searching for a new shoulder socket on the black market tonight . I instructed the owner not to touch it until 48 hours curing time has passed.

Almost crystal clear...

Very deep finish

The owner is now on a bi-weekly maintenance wash with me for all of his cars . Enjoy the finished product!

COMING SOON...

Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute
cool post man, welcome...

Old 05-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
good introductory post!

welcome to the Team!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
mbolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond reputembolo has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome aboard and great job with the 599. Really interesting colour combo which I bet looks very classy IRL.

Magnificent work - you deserve that bi-weekly work and more

Old 05-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Cool first post! That 599 actually looks BETTER than new when you were done with it! IS that color called Vinaccia? Great color combo on that car.

Oh, I almost forgot: welcome to the team!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Superfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond reputeSuperfly has a reputation beyond repute
Fantastic Job!! With both the first post AND that detail!!! Wow. And welcome to the Team!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Phil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for joining I'm sure everyone will love all your post!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Teamspeed Member
Originally Posted by SLC4S
cool post man, welcome...
Cheers!

Originally Posted by .:Raul
good introductory post!

welcome to the Team!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by mbolo
Welcome aboard and great job with the 599. Really interesting colour combo which I bet looks very classy IRL.

Magnificent work - you deserve that bi-weekly work and more
Thank you kindly! I love the color, as well

Originally Posted by Alzilla
Cool first post! That 599 actually looks BETTER than new when you were done with it! IS that color called Vinaccia? Great color combo on that car.

Oh, I almost forgot: welcome to the team!
Cheers mate! Yep, that's Vinaccia. I just finished an F430 in Vinaccia, but with a slightly different interior... sort of plumb-colored (Vinaccia), with an off white complete leather, that was just sweet... will post soon!

Originally Posted by Superfly
Fantastic Job!! With both the first post AND that detail!!! Wow. And welcome to the Team!!!
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Originally Posted by phil@detailersdomain
thanks for joining I'm sure everyone will love all your post!
Cheers Phil!