Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

997 carrera (full GT3 body kit) detail - pics heavy

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Teamspeed Member
Envious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enough
997 carrera (full GT3 body kit) detail - pics heavy

Alright ladies and gents, up here is a car I have always thought I would hate to deal with...black Porsche paint! From what I have hear, its really soft! Well, long story short, I would rather have a black Porsche over a jet black BMW any day!!!

Porsche shows up late in the evening and I could hardly see any defects! It was dusk-ish (about 1.5 hours left of sunlight). I decided to wash, clay and wash the car and call it a night, not wanting to get into it and having to stop 1/4 way through!

Day two comes around and I figured out a game plan! knowing that its a softer paint, I elected to stick with softer pads and play with the polish/compounds to achieve the desired results. Its early in the AM so there was no sunlight at this point, so I brought out the halogens to see what I was working with...

YIKES - its a far cry from my original thoughts of "not that bad"

Old 05-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Teamspeed Member
Envious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enoughEnvious Eric will become famous soon enough
And Finally the sun comes out so I can get some BEFORE sun shots!!! These are a couple before and afters right here of the same shot...

Old 05-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Teamspeed Member
So I set out to see what Menzerna SIP and a megs polishing pad would produce! Darn near perfection - or so I thought! while it removed a lot of the defects with ease, it left the paint with "compound haze," which needed to be removed of course!

I then followed that up with Menzerna FPII with a green uber (detailersdomain) polishing pad. While this step greatly reduced the hazing, another round was necessary! I finished up with Menzerna FPII and a blue uder finishing pad. That process proved to be the ticket as no micromarring was left in the finish!

I had a couple of options to play with regarding the was or sealant. i was thinking of going the sealant route, but something told me to go with a carnuba! Wolfgang Fuzion was called upon and boy did it deliver!!! I love this stuff! I am finding myself using it on every single car as you can lay it on, tidy up the rest of the car, then come back to it and wipe it right off!!!

Here are the finals: Comments are definitely welcomed!

Products used on this detail:
pomolive dish soap
home depot grout sponge
Meguiars blue MILD clay
Megs last touch 1:1 clay lube
Menzerna SIP
Menzerna FPII
Wolfgang Fuzion paste wax
Megs glass cleaner
Megs Hyper dressing 3:1
ONR on wheels
Chemical Guys Barebone in the wells
Megs gold class trim detailer on front spoiler
Megs yellow polishing pad
Uber green and blue pads
PC speed 6 the WHOLE time
Optimum poliseal on interior carbon kit
DP interior protectant
Chemical guys leather conditioner

Thanks for looking!!!!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Holy Shit! Nice job, that black looks so clean in the after shots! very nice work!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice job on the 911...looks great

Old 05-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Phil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond reputePhil Y has a reputation beyond repute
nice job!

Old 05-19-2009, 01:00 AM
Teamspeed Member
thanks guys...

12 hours total in this one! results = worth it!

rumor has it that the owner is going to keep it garaged until the show (forgot the name) in 3 weeks!

Old 05-19-2009, 01:49 AM
V35
Teamspeed Junior Member
V35 is a splendid one to beholdV35 is a splendid one to beholdV35 is a splendid one to beholdV35 is a splendid one to beholdV35 is a splendid one to beholdV35 is a splendid one to beholdV35 is a splendid one to beholdV35 is a splendid one to beholdV35 is a splendid one to beholdV35 is a splendid one to beholdV35 is a splendid one to behold
First off, thank you so much Eric! The detail is unbelievable, and i'm just amazed at the new life you gave to the car's finish. Like I said, I'm a detail nut, and usually only detail my own car using my Porter Cable, LC pads and Menzerna polishes, but ever since SEMA, I haven't found the chance to detail it. All those swirls and scratches are the result of the car being manhandled with set and lighting pieces on the set of the Fast and Furious 4, as well as the mistake of allowing a "Hand Car Wash" to wash the car twice in the last 6 months. I knew where every major scratch was, as well as all the Holographic swirls that you can only see at certain angles. As soon as I got the car back, I put it under the white garage lighting, and every scratch I fussed over was gone! I was amazed and it is clear Eric has the skills needed with the right products to do proper correction work. Btw, I did get it garaged since I picked it up, and won't take it back out until June 13 for the Spocom car show at the Long Beach Convention center!

Old 05-19-2009, 02:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
great job...
cannot wait to have a long weekend where I can try to do the same..

Old 05-19-2009, 02:41 AM
Teamspeed Pro
The Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Great job!

Quick Reply: 997 carrera (full GT3 body kit) detail - pics heavy