Notices
Detailing & Paint Protection Detailing tips, tricks, and product information to keep your vehicle in showroom condition.

Damon@Tirerack Detailed - Audi S4 Cabriolet - Black

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:17 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Damon@Tirerack Detailed - Audi S4 Cabriolet - Black

Check out my latest

Another co-worker of mine has a nice S4 Cab he wanted some time spent with. The car had never had any love other than regular washes, but it was evident the wrong kind of materials were used to wash it. The paint had some pretty good towel marks and evidence there was still dirt involved in the the drying process too. He asked me to see what I could do after seeing the results Rich's Evolution Paint Correction System had with two other black cars I have done. On with it! Found here:

I first started with a good Dawn wash and clay-barring. Lotsa tar was in the paint but afterwards it wasn't looking too bad.

As expected, when I got it under bright light things took a turn for the worse.....

The more I use the Gloss-It system the more impressed I am with it. For the weekend warrior like me it's perfect. Thanks for great products Rich!

Last edited by Damon@tirerack; 10-09-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Nice work Damon. Looks great.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:54 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
Wow good job. Black is a tough one to care for. Were you nervous sanding down the scratch?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:55 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ATL-Porsche
Were you nervous sanding down the scratch?
Towards the end, YES. I really need a paint meter....

Old 10-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
Looks perfect... I would love a black car but hate that it shows everything.

You guys did great work!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:11 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Damon's post cont'd....

It had been in a minor accident he plans to have fixed in the spring, but it was up to me to make look better for now:

Think any women have been driving it? I wonder what gave it away....

Old 10-09-2008, 12:12 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
And last but not least - the big daddy. A BAD scratch that was inherited fro the prior owner. This one made me gulp hard.

First thing first. Time to get the sandpaper out. I soaked some 3M 2000 grit and got to work.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:12 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro

Old 10-09-2008, 12:14 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
I never like to have to sand scratches out but am beginning to realize clearcoat is deeper than you think. I ended up sanding the big scratch completely out before polishing, but I'm sure I have removed almost all of the clear in that area, which is scary. Near the end I was taking 2 or 3 swipes, wiping it down and taking a good look. Then I would repeat. A buddy of mine actually laughed at me because he though for sure I had wrecked this paintjob. I started by rubbing some of the deeper areas with red compound (liquid sandpaper!) to smooth them out. I thenwent to Extreme Cut on orange pads and did the entire car, using decent pressure and and Gloss Enhancer to prolong the cutting as long as possible. After finishing and doing an alcohol wipedown I hand rubbed some of the deeper scratches out again with the Extreme Cut and then did the whole car a second time the same way. I followed with Evolution Cut on yellow pads once, another IPA wash and then Evolution Polish with green followed by Gloss Activator by hand and then Gloss Finish and the white pads.

Rub-a-dub-dub.....

After working on the car for about 3 hours I was starting to see results. Sinister.....

I called it a night at 2am.....

The next morning revealed about 30 minutes worth of "sun" before the rain hit. Just enough time to hit the Audi with a Gloss enhancer wipedown and to get some pics before returning. It would have been stunning in the sun because probably 85% of the scratches that were there before were now gone.

Big scratch? Where?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:14 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
f you look back you'll see there were two places on this panel that had to be sanded as well....

A few more before the drive to work. It's a good thing I drive a truck because I would be in some serious trouble in this bad boy....

Quick Reply: Damon@Tirerack Detailed - Audi S4 Cabriolet - Black