Notices
Cayenne | Panamera | Macan The Porsche Cayenne, Panamera, & Macan Discussion Forum.

Porsche Panamera Battles Aston Martin Rapide at the Ring

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:13 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Porsche Panamera Battles Aston Martin Rapide at the Ring

Scheduled for an official presentation at the 2009 Geneva show, here are two all-new four-door coupés testing at the challenging Nürburgring. Both, the fourth range from Porsche, known as the Panamera, and the all-new Aston Martin Rapide, are developed to be strong competitors to the Mercedes CLS, the brand-new Volkswagen Passat CC and the future Audi A7.

Though the Panamera takes over design elements from the 911 range, there will be significant differences, too: While the first has always been to keep its rear-mounted boxer engine, the newcomer will have a choice of three front-mounted motors, though set back to the centre of the car as much as possible. The entry-level unit will be Volkswagen’s 3.5-litre six-cylinder unit developing 300 bhp, while Porsche’s own drivetrain will be a direct-injection eight-cylinder petrol engine, available in naturally-aspirated guise (350 bhp) and with twin-turbo (560 bhp).

That should be enough to beat out the competition for a while: Mercedes’ CLS 63 AMG comes up with “only” 514 bhp. However, should Stuttgart make the CLS even stronger, Zuffenhausen would strike back with the Porsche GT’s 700-bhp ten-cylinder unit ...

The target for the Panamera is to be a true sportscar while at the same time it shall be a family-car for every-day use with four full seats, easy access to the rear and a luggage compartment of around 450 litres. When it hits the road in 2009, Porsche hopes to be able to sell 20 000 units annually – and to jump over the barrier of 100 000 sold cars per year.
Yet more exclusive will be the new four-door from England: Following the Rapide Concept shown at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit back in 2006, Aston Martin is now coming up with the real machine. Former owner Ford had put the project on hold when they decided to sell the biggest pack of shares. After selling this to the group lead by David Richards, one of the first decisions was to revive the project and start developing the production version Rapide. Together with the body, the DB9 will provide its platform and its V12-engine. The latter will be tuned to 480 bhp while it delivers 450 bhp in the DB9. The car is believed to be released in 2010.
Source WCF

Old 08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Mike@Stoddard has a reputation beyond reputeMike@Stoddard has a reputation beyond reputeMike@Stoddard has a reputation beyond reputeMike@Stoddard has a reputation beyond reputeMike@Stoddard has a reputation beyond reputeMike@Stoddard has a reputation beyond reputeMike@Stoddard has a reputation beyond reputeMike@Stoddard has a reputation beyond reputeMike@Stoddard has a reputation beyond reputeMike@Stoddard has a reputation beyond reputeMike@Stoddard has a reputation beyond repute
haha!! that is awesome..i wonder if they compare lap times when they're done

Old 08-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Russ has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond repute
Is that just a coincidence?

Old 08-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
KAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to allKAZ555 is a name known to all
I can tell you one thing, the AM won the battle in the design department.

Old 08-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
NuclearSymphony has a reputation beyond reputeNuclearSymphony has a reputation beyond reputeNuclearSymphony has a reputation beyond reputeNuclearSymphony has a reputation beyond reputeNuclearSymphony has a reputation beyond reputeNuclearSymphony has a reputation beyond reputeNuclearSymphony has a reputation beyond reputeNuclearSymphony has a reputation beyond reputeNuclearSymphony has a reputation beyond reputeNuclearSymphony has a reputation beyond reputeNuclearSymphony has a reputation beyond repute
Well I guess that negates my similar thread in the Aston Martin section! This definitely gets my attention, having a weak spot for fast four-doors.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
yalmutawa has a brilliant futureyalmutawa has a brilliant futureyalmutawa has a brilliant futureyalmutawa has a brilliant futureyalmutawa has a brilliant futureyalmutawa has a brilliant futureyalmutawa has a brilliant futureyalmutawa has a brilliant futureyalmutawa has a brilliant futureyalmutawa has a brilliant futureyalmutawa has a brilliant future
design goes for the auston but no way to compare an austin vs porsche in proformance i'll take the porsche with my eyes closed

Old 09-06-2008, 05:56 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I dont like a 4 door aston, it just feels not right and not formal one bit. Nothing you can be driven in like a bentley.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute911 S has a reputation beyond repute
the aston looks much better, but i wonder how they both did in regards to performance!!

Old 09-07-2008, 03:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute
I keep hoping to see a picture that makes the back end look better on the panamera... I think the front is going to look great though

Old 09-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
BBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond reputeBBTurbo has a reputation beyond repute
Any idea on MSRP's yet?

Anyone have a fee l for MSRP on the various engines? I heard the TT will be over $150K. It would have to have on heck of a performance profile to justify that price against only modest styling. By that I mean many other performance sedans don't look like squished down siblings of their marques SUV's. Although I've only seen a few spy shots, the Panamera looks like a Cayenne thats been stepped on to me.

Quick Reply: Porsche Panamera Battles Aston Martin Rapide at the Ring