Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Cayenne | Panamera | Macan (https://teamspeed.com/forums/cayenne-panamera-macan/)
-   -   Decisions, decisions (https://teamspeed.com/forums/cayenne-panamera-macan/78203-decisions-decisions.html)

Chris from Cali 01-25-2013 04:09 PM

Decisions, decisions

After a year with our beautiful baby, it's become apparent we need more space for her stuff, our stuff, etc. I've boiled it down to two cars: Audi RS4 Avant (if it comes) and Porsche Cayenne GTS. My wife is cool with either one.

The dilemma is this: Do I wait for the RS4 to (maybe) come here? I'm #1 on the list at my local Audi dealer, but the word I keep getting from Audi is that it's not coming. Of course they said this about the TT-RS and the RS5, too, plus I've seen the real thing at our Cars & Coffee out here. Stop Everything, There

If the RS4 doesn't come, I'll get the GTS. But I've been wondering if I should not even bother with the RS4 and just get the GTS. I've looked at one locally that's VERY close to the spec I'd order (~$95K sticker), and I'm in love. I took my wife and daughter today to check it out and my wife loves it too. My concern is that I'll get the GTS, the RS4 DOES show up, and then I'm pissed....

I'm open to your ideas.

BTW, I also considered (am considering?) the S6, the new Range Rover, and maybe a 550ix or M5. The RS7 is going to be $120K or so, so that's out.

Scott Davis 01-25-2013 04:15 PM

Without knowing when or even if the Audi is coming, Id go GTS. In a couple years, if they do release it, then you can trade up.

Tell you what though, I experienced the S6 Wednesday and that is a sweeeeet ass car.

Maxtheone 01-25-2013 05:03 PM

This is an easy one since the GTS is the better, faster and more exclusive car. I had a ride in the RS4 and the owner told me it felt pretty synthetic!

Maxtheone 01-25-2013 05:06 PM

Oh just read that. S6 is another story, I would look into that one too. More practical and very very fast!

zzzspeed 01-25-2013 05:52 PM

Neither one!
Having owned the CTT, it was a rough ride on those 21" wheels and the GTS is even more tightly sprung. As sporty and exciting a car it is, the rough ride gets old especially as a family cruiser and running errands.
With your other choices I would put first on my list the S6 and second the new RR. None of the others are good options IMO. Performance wise the GTS is not going to be much faster then the RR. My CTT was at best 0-60 in 4.5 sec using my VBOX. The GTS would probably do 5.5 to 6.0 at best. The new RR will be at 5.9 sec and the S6 has been tested at 3.7 sec.

parealtor 01-25-2013 05:55 PM

as much as I love the thought of the RS4 avant coming to our shores, I seriously doubt it will ever happen. I saw a cayenne GTS the other day at my local porsche dealer and it was sweet. Id take the GTS any day of the week and wouldnt feel like I was missing out if audi were to bring it to the US.

Clubber 01-25-2013 06:20 PM

I would wait for the RS4. Noone does fast tourings like Audi and tbh pannie's are really ugly. Maybe they will improve on design with the second generation like cayenne and boxster.
Porsche is not good at nailing the design with newly introduced model lines. It takes time.

JonA85 01-25-2013 06:37 PM

Chris you know me, I'd roll the dice with the RS4.

La Artist 01-25-2013 07:18 PM

To me this is one hell of a cross shopping.

Its a porsche high end luxury model and on top of that the GTS (probably the best of the panameras)

vs
An Audi A4 a damn good A4 but still A4.

And that sound of the GTS just makes it a very easy choice.

PS
The Panamera facelift is around the corner, so you might want to hold out for that one, in the process you might find out if the RS4 is coming to the US.

zzzspeed 01-25-2013 08:17 PM

^^^ guys, he is talking about the Cayenne GTS not panny

La Artist 01-25-2013 08:39 PM

Oh my bad.. disregard the PS then, everything else still stands..

I would take the Cayenne over the RS4

Clubber 01-25-2013 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by zzzspeed (Post 1412540)
^^^ guys, he is talking about the Cayenne GTS not panny

ooops.. In that case, cayenne then.

Although RS4 would still be more enthusiast's sleeper than a cayenne IMO.

moabite 01-25-2013 09:28 PM

I would love to see the RS4 reach the US - however, in light of the RS7 confirmation I doubt the avant will make it.

I gather you're primarily a VAG guy and you're also primarily looking at new but if you're open to used an E63 estate may be a worthwhile consideration.

alin2.5 01-25-2013 10:15 PM

Having owned a Cayenne S and TT, I am quite partial to the Cayenne and think you would be very happy with one.

However, I'll throw out another suggestion...get an Audi Q5, which was my daily driver for the past 3 years, save 20-25k and save up for the RS4 avant when it hits stateside. :)

Chris from Cali 01-25-2013 10:25 PM

Good suggestions guys.... The Q5 is disqualified because the luggage space is not that big and it's pretty boring to drive. It might be my wife's next car, but not mine. The E63 would be a good call, but I think MB makes ugly wagons. If BMW had an M5 estate, I'd strongly consider it. The obvious, perfect choice, but never coming here, is the RS6 Avant.

I guess the safest choice is to wait until July/August to see if there is an RS4 announcement, and if not, then decide between S6 and Cayenne GTS.

Please keep the comments coming.

cotmfk 01-25-2013 10:52 PM

I would wait. As baby gets older, you don't need to carry as much stuff around, you will find out if RS4 is coming, and the Porsche will get cheaper. You may also decide you want something different (like the new M3 or something).

moabite 01-25-2013 11:11 PM

I have to play devil's advocate here on a couple levels...

If you're eliminating the Q5 and upcoming SQ5 based partly on cargo space I'm not sure the S6 will meet your needs on space.

With that said, you mention the hypothetical M5 Estate. It would be amazing but not likely period much less reaching us. So, if the S6 is a consideration, I would bring in the M5.

I think the S6 is great but the M5 is more of an enthusiast's vehicle which I would say is are where your original proposals of RS4 Avant and Cayenne GTS are at.

I know the new S6 is supposed to be great, but it, along with the SQ5 are a bit vanilla in comparison to RS4 Avant, Cayenne GTS and M5 imo.

All We'll Drive 01-25-2013 11:14 PM

I'd get the GTS, sell it when the RS4 came, keep the RS4 for 6 months, then start thinking about what I could replace that with ;)

mile2424 01-25-2013 11:53 PM

I'd get the GTS as well Chris or maybe a paint to sample Panamera GTS to match the Gulf colored garage!

997carrerasblk06 01-26-2013 12:13 AM

hmmm, out of all of those cars I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish....all i get through your post chris is a bit of car ADD coming out :D If you are trying to just haul some things around and want to do it in comfort and style, easy get the RR. I will tell you I have had mine for about 3 months now and not a single problem, except that it is a bit thirsty. It's comfortable, beautiful and has plenty of capacity. The S6 is a great saloon from what i have heard, but in reality there is no room in that thing for kid related stuff. The Cayenne doesn't have a ton of room either if you are saying that the Q5 is too small, though it is a cool SUV with a bit of sport to it. I say you hold out, get the wife a RR ditch the A3 and Golf R and pick up a 599 :D just saying. Best of luck in your search my friend.

Ordered Analogue 01-26-2013 01:09 AM

Drive the S6 and then think if you could live with an RS4/M5/RR etc...

joshg120 01-26-2013 01:26 AM

Chris I would seriously consider the new Mercedes GL if your willing to sacrifice a little sportiness. My parents just got a new 550 and it is nothing short of a fantastic car,room for 7 passengers, fit and finish is excellent and it can still offer a sporty drive

GrayTT 01-26-2013 02:25 AM

For me it's the RR...
And I am a guy with a kid

Ordered Analogue 01-26-2013 06:23 AM

Sorry but the GL is rubbish IMO. I've had the ML, driven the GL multiple times. There's no sportiness bar the AMG's. The new ones are a bit more refined, but still handle like a boat. That it just my opinion.

In the SUV's the Range Rover is king I have to admit.

If you're looking at saloon cars, I urge you to go drive an S6 and then decide. Try the 650 Gran Coupe too. Two very different cars but both are fabulous fun.

hugo 01-26-2013 06:32 AM

funny,was thinking along the same lines: RS4 or Cayenne GTS and RS6 avant vs Cayenne Turbo....
I look seriously into replacing the Cayenne turbo with the new RS6,waiting for a test drive to see what's what...

Christian 01-26-2013 06:51 AM

Rr sc

MeanMachine 01-26-2013 07:22 AM

B7 rs4

LUPINN 01-26-2013 07:31 AM

I'd get the S6 Avant!

Very comfortable, a lot of space, 3,7 to 60mph...

What do you want more? :D

(I read the RS6/RS7 are out, otherwise.. they are the perfect combo of space-comfort-performance)

Maxtheone 01-26-2013 07:32 AM

Me too I thought you mean a Panny GTS...but that just makes my advice easier: get an S6! one of the best cars out there right now!

BLACKBULL 01-26-2013 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali (Post 1412562)
Good suggestions guys.... The Q5 is disqualified because the luggage space is not that big and it's pretty boring to drive. It might be my wife's next car, but not mine. The E63 would be a good call, but I think MB makes ugly wagons. If BMW had an M5 estate, I'd strongly consider it. The obvious, perfect choice, but never coming here, is the RS6 Avant.

I guess the safest choice is to wait until July/August to see if there is an RS4 announcement, and if not, then decide between S6 and Cayenne GTS.

Please keep the comments coming.

M5 Gran Turismo!??......

http://cache.bmwusa.com/cosy.arox?po...630&height=270

Alexscud 01-26-2013 09:14 AM

Chris, I think the indication of use is decisive in the choice of the car. The Audi RS6 and 'an excellent car, but the Cayenne GTS with its ground clearance and more space allows you to load what' you want. The increased speed 'of the RS6 I do not think so' important..:thumbup:

zzzspeed 01-26-2013 11:11 AM

Actually the Cayenne has by far the lowest available cargo room of any SUV.
I have two little boys, and strollers along with luggage caused us to have to take the minivan on trips instead of my CTT. That sucked!

Chris from Cali 01-26-2013 08:27 PM

I appreciate all the insight. So I've driven the A6 (and sat/seen the S6 plenty), and I'm pretty confident the trunk is enough for what we need. We've also checked out the cargo space in the Cayenne. It seems more than adequate (and double either the Golf or A3). That's the key - right now we have two small hatchbacks and a 911. Not the ideal formula for hauling anything. My wife will keep her A3 TDI for day-to-day stuff with the baby, then the Cayenne/S6/RS4 would be the weekend "whole family + stuff" car.

I think I'm going to hold my RS4 slot for now, see if it comes, if not, I'll do a back-to-back with the S6 and Cayenne GTS. My wife is cool with any of them, so it'll just be a case of which one floats my boat. We'll also bring all the baby crap and test fit it.

Thanks again!

JonA85 01-26-2013 08:29 PM

Fingers crossed the RS4 comes!

SpeedEvo 01-26-2013 09:01 PM

CTS-V Wagon. Or Cayenne GTS.

Dyna 01-26-2013 10:20 PM

audi s6 avant.. its a no brainer, check skn tuning they got a stage 3 which consist of a milltek exhaust, new intercooler and mapping which gives u 560 hp / 701 Nm.. they got some cool colours for the s6 as well! anyway good luck with your new to be car

AudiRS 01-27-2013 02:25 AM

Get the cayenne GTS. You will love it.

jasonrhcastle 01-27-2013 07:15 AM

The GTS (I had a Turbo) would be a functional option. I have two kids, one now at 5 and one at 3. When my son was 1.5-2.5, we still carried the one stroller. It was tight (if carrying a big stroller), but manageable (if carrying the smaller travel/folding stroller). The rest of the cargo area was adequate for our trips. I had the trailer hitch, and ordered it in case I needed to add a Thule cargo carrier. Never did though.

The RS4 Avant would be an AWESOME ride! I would love to see one in person, and get a drive in it.

I currently have a Panamera GTS for my daily, and the wife a '13 Q7 TDI (which is no slouch BTW, with air suspension it is very dynamic). I have very little issue with the Panamera GTS now as far as traveling goes with the kids. The Q7 I am getting ready to do an ECU remap. Should get quite a bit more pep out of it.

Good luck mate! Looking forward to seeing what you pick.

J

Chris from Cali 01-27-2013 07:18 AM

Thanks again. I briefly considered the Q7 (there is a sick S-line 3.0T at my local dealer), but it's going to be facelifted very soon.

For my Euro friends, Audi doesn't sell any Avants other than the hideous "All-Road" here. Believe me, if they sold the S6 or RS6 Avant here, we wouldn't be having this discussion! :)

parealtor 01-27-2013 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali (Post 1412760)
Thanks again. I briefly considered the Q7 (there is a sick S-line 3.0T at my local dealer), but it's going to be facelifted very soon.

For my Euro friends, Audi doesn't sell any Avants other than the hideous "All-Road" here. Believe me, if they sold the S6 or RS6 Avant here, we wouldn't be having this discussion! :)

I love my Q7 sline. facelift isnt happening for at least another 2 years I believe.