Notices
Cayenne | Panamera | Macan The Porsche Cayenne, Panamera, & Macan Discussion Forum.

Porsche Macan Spotted At The Ring Again

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 06:34 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Added another quick video clip to the OP.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
charris You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!charris You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!charris You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!charris You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!charris You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!charris You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!charris You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!charris You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!charris You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!charris You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!charris You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I am not sure how I feel about the sharing of the engine and other parts with Audi. This is actually one of my general Porsche concerns since Audi took over.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond repute
I'm hoping for a 2 door Diesel.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
cali2121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone have an idea or any inside info on when the Macan will be released? All I've heard is late 2013, but nothing more specific than that.

Looking for a DD SUV and hoping that this will come out sooner rather than later!

Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Porschephile88 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Here's a little insight into the Macan design from an interview between MotorTrend and Matthias Mueller. Looks like the Panamera Sport Turismo will preview design cues for the entire Porsche line, not just the Panamera; things are getting interesting...

New head and taillights based on Sport Turismo Concept

The Sport Turismo concept’s head and taillights will be applied across all Porsche models starting with the Macan B-segment luxury SUV. “These headlights will be the next generation of lights within Porsche, as with the rear. These three dimensional rear lights you will find with the Macan,” said Müller. “And in the front, with the four ‘eyes’, this is also our idea for the future…Across the brand.”

Read more: Paris Motor Show Exclusive: Porsche Confirms SportTurismo Cues Across the Brand, Hints at 6-min 918 and 600-hp 911! - Motor Trend Blog

The Sport Turismo is a catalyst in my opinion because it previews the next generation of Porsche vehicular/interior design. The same way the Carrera GT influenced the interior design of the current model line by way of the rising center console as well as exterior flourishes beginning with the Panamera, I have a solid feeling that the next generation of Porsches will be in turn inspired by the 918 Spyder. Since the Panamera was the first new Porsche to exhibit this design language, I think it will be the first one once again when the current car is retired in 2015. We'll most likely see the same sensuous Porsche curves all over the exterior, but with more defined character lines along door and body panels for edgier looks. The interiors will probably feature a variation of the current rising console but more in line with the Sport Turismo's tablet-like touchscreen center [as seen on the 918].

Back to the Macan though...

On another forum I'm a part of, one of the senior forumers has a source within Porsche that occasionally drops little nuggets of information regarding the Macan's design. The most recent one is that the Macan's headlights will resemble those of the Panamera Sport Turismo concept [which in turn resemble the Cayenne's] but will be smaller and have a 981 twist to them. I've stared at the Macan prototypes long enough for my eyes to want to bleed, but made the following inferences which I thought I'd share here and start a discussion.

EXTERIOR
- I think the headlights will bear a resemblance to the ones on the Cayenne, albeit taller and stretched further back over the fenders for a narrower shape than the lower, wider ones on the Cayenne. Think the difference between the 991's ovals and the 981's stretched designs; the Macan may even have the light structures in a stacked design the same way the 981 does to further differentiate it from the Cayenne.
- The front light units incorporating the DRLs/LED indicators on the non-Turbo models will be similar to the non-Turbo Cayennes in that they'll be right below the headlights and attached to the top of the air intakes. Modifications will be the removal of the dotted LEDs on the current Cayenne and have them replaced with a slim LED light strip for the DRL with the indicators below similar to the difference between the 991 and 997.2.
- The light units on the Macan Turbo will be two separate strips of LEDs similar to the Panamera Sport Turismo concept, while the headlights will incorporate the four-dot LED spotlights and a possible full-LED option. Spy photos of the 991 Turbo seem to confirm the four-dot design for that headlight assembly as well.
- The Macan's rear lights will be two distinct units split between the body and tailgate similar to the Cayenne, but will instead be narrow and feature the three-dimensional interior structures seen in the Sport Turismo concept. I think, in order to differentiate the design from the 991, the taillights may have some sort of additional bulge or kink in the tailgate sections the way the Cayenne's taillights form the lower bit that houses the reversing/fog lights. In essence, a combination of narrow 991 lights with the bigger, more abstracted Cayenne lights.
- The car's silhouette will be a more curvaceous, squatter Cayenne since that formula is already known to have worked on the bigger car. I'm also guessing we'll see some sort of door crease somewhere, possibly on the lower parts of the doors to make the car look more curvy and drawn in rather than sharply along the handles à la 981.

INTERIOR
- Based on the spy shots we've seen of the Macan's dashboard, I'm guessing we'll see a variation of the current Panamera's dashboard structure since the top part of the photo looks more sharply shelf-like, with a line running all the way across the cabin rather than the sloping design of the Cayenne's dashboard.
- The PCM screen will be taller and more square, probably in the neighborhood of 7.5-8 inches the same way the screen size went up from 5.7 to 6.5 inches in the previous Porsche model lines to 7 inches in this generation.
- We'll see the same rising center console design in the other models, but skinnier than the Panamera/Cayenne and more in line with the 911/Boxster/Cayman.
- If an air suspension option were to be offered, I'd expect to see the switchgear positioned where the smoking package/compartment is on the sports cars.

POWERTRAINS
- Macan: a tuned version of the Audi 2.0L I4 TFSI to put out 230-250 horsepower seeing that the facelifted Q5 has 225 hp in the base petrol offering. 0-100 in 7.5s.
- Macan S: a tuned version of the Audi 3.0L V6 TFSI with power in the neighborhood of 340 horsepower [since the current application sees power either as a detuned 272 horsepower or supercharged 333 in the Audi S/Porsche hybrid models]. 0-100 in 6.1s.
- Macan Turbo: the rumored twin-turbo Porsche 3.0L V6 with around 370 horsepower. 0-100 in 5.0s.

This'll allow the Macan to have a considerable on-paper performance distance from the Cayenne models so the smaller car doesn't poach too many sales from the bigger, more expensive one. I left the diesel/hybrid Macans out of my prediction because I'm sure the same system in the Q5 hybrid that marries the 211hp 2.0L TFSI and electric motor will carry over to the Macan unchanged the same way the Cayenne and Touareg share the same systems/power outputs, but not sure what diesels will be used; most likely the same 3.0L V6 turbodiesel we see in the current Panamera Diesel.

I realize that a lot of this could possibly be moot and I may be too optimistic, but all the clues so far have pointed my trains of thought in this direction.

Thoughts, anyone?

Porschephile88

Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Sechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond reputeSechsgang has a reputation beyond repute
^^While I do agree with some of what you said, I would probably say IF the 310 or 333 hp model comes out, that will be the highest they go. Does anyone know if the audi SQ5 model is coming stateside? That little thing rocks.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Artzt is an unknown quantity at this point
Weird to see a circular-type design in a Porsche taillight, but this will no doubt be cool to see. Doesn't look too far from reveal with these mules. I say within a year and a half. Maybe next year at LA.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Chimi-Changa is on a distinguished roadChimi-Changa is on a distinguished road
Cant wait for these! A diesel one might get 40MPG's! How about that pea shooter exhaust on that 'mule

Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmmmm......

Name:  is-this-be-the-real-porsche-macan-56885_1.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  38.2 KB

Old 03-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond reputeTRAKCAR has a reputation beyond repute
Looks nice to me.

Quick Reply: Porsche Macan Spotted At The Ring Again