Notices
Cayenne | Panamera | Macan The Porsche Cayenne, Panamera, & Macan Discussion Forum.

Official Porsche Cayenne & Panamera Picture Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
SO sexy^^^

Old 03-28-2012, 12:47 PM
KT
I give good hugs. Bo, you're first.
KT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations, looks amazing! Enjoy it in good health. Would love to hear your impressions as well.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:12 PM
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute

Old 03-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
umwolverine has a spectacular aura aboutumwolverine has a spectacular aura aboutumwolverine has a spectacular aura aboutumwolverine has a spectacular aura aboutumwolverine has a spectacular aura aboutumwolverine has a spectacular aura aboutumwolverine has a spectacular aura aboutumwolverine has a spectacular aura aboutumwolverine has a spectacular aura aboutumwolverine has a spectacular aura aboutumwolverine has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by KT
Congratulations, looks amazing! Enjoy it in good health. Would love to hear your impressions as well.
Thanks - here is way more information than you asked for. Bottom line - the car is much better than I imagined.

Ok, after about 800 miles including a Cincinnati - Chicago trip through the back roads, I feel I can offer a somewhat informed opinion on the GTS. I'll cover a lot of detail things, but one thing I won't voice an opinion on is the full-out performance (steering, brakes, engine, handling), since I'm taking it very easy, under 4,500 RPM, no more than 1/2 throttle and under 100 mph. (Maybe violated these rules just a couple times...). Overall the thing that impresses me most about the car is how well it handles. I haven't even really pushed it yet, but taking a 25 mph exit at 60 mph with absolutely no drama is just ridiculous. Here are my thoughts, in no particular order.

Get the PDCC!! It transforms the car. The first time my wife was in the car she noticed right away - 'the car isn't leaning', and I was driving very reasonably up an on ramp. In Chicago I was intentionally running over some of the worst street surfaces, and the car just glides over them. The cornering (I hit .9g without even a squeak from the tires) is physics-defying. I can't wait to start pushing the car.

Sound. The combination of exhaust/engine sound and the aggressive PDK setting in Sports Plus that rev matches from 4,500 rpm on downshifts is absolutely a gas! Surprised the heck out of me the first time I hit the brakes for a stop sign Brrrraaaap…..Brrrraaaap! Definitely somewhat anti-social. There is a big, big difference as soon as you hit the sport exhaust. The sound is just as good with the windows up, and the videos don’t do it justice. Fantastic – one of the best parts of the car.

Interior. Hands-down one of the best looking interiors I’ve ever seen in a car. Black IMO is definitely the way to go. The combination of the full leather, the high-gloss black, the aluminum, the stitching, the alcantara, and the embroidered (subtle black) GTS emblems in the headrests all work together.

Exterior. First time I parked the car in public, two Dads and families were walking around the car ‘do you mind if we take some pictures’. It’s rare when I get out of the car that somebody doesn’t compliment me on it. Really a stunning car.

Seats. The Alcantara 18-way Sport Seats are some of the most supportive and best looking I’ve seen. Very firm, and much more support and adjustment than my E60 Comfort Seats. The alcantara grips unbelievably well – you really stay planted in the corners. Very comfortable in a 6-hr drive to Chicago.

Steering wheel. THIS is how a sports-wheel should look. Aluminum, leather and just the paddles thank you – no extra buttons. The grip and feel is terrific. I prefer the leather way over the alcantara. I was concerned about changing radio stations with the stalk, but no problem at all – it works well.

The extra ‘multifunction’ gage. Fantastic! What a great idea – I’m still getting the hang of using it, and the rest of the PCM interface.

The tach – not a big fan of the color – would prefer it in a higher contrast black/white.

The PCM/multimedia interface. It’s a bit unfair, since I haven’t had remotely enough time to learn this, but I would give it a ‘C’ overall. Touchscreen is much more difficult to navigate than a wheel controller on the console. I imagine this system will do pretty much whatever I need, but the ergonomics are not great. Audi and BMW definitely have it over Porsche here.

Rear visibility. Worst of any car I’ve ever driven. You MUST get the backup camera. I’m not sure how people operate safely without it. I don’t find the lateral visibility through the side-mirrors that bad.

Noise/Ride. This car is just unbelievably quiet at speed when it’s in ‘comfort’ mode. The ride is so much better than my M5 it’s not even comparable. I don’t know of any car that has this combination of handling/sound in sport mode, and luxury in comfort. Incredible.

Spoiler. I love the spoiler up. I’m normally not a fan of this kind of thing, but the car just looks great with it up, and it’s going up at speed anyways. Ridiculous that you have to hold the spoiler button down the entire time it retracts. I mean, who needs to have the spoiler 11/16th’s down???

Steering. Yes, it is a bit ‘disconnected’ at slow speeds. But it tightens up as the speed increases and feels terrific. More to report on this when I can really flog the car.

Size. Yes, this is a big car. It feels biggest in the drive-through at McDonalds. It gets smaller as the road opens up and the speed and cornering forces build. Just maneuvering around a parking lot, or at low speeds though, it feels huge.

Retractable luggage cover. Cheap and I’m replacing it with the solid lid.

Wind noise. VERY quiet with the windows up at 100 mph. I don’t notice any of the high-frequency sound that some here have noted. Maybe that’s because my hearing isn’t great at those frequencies – mixed blessing. I do notice a distinct 'buffeting' with just the driver's window open, so I have to crack the moonroof. Not sure if it's due to the 'flexible' luggage cover or not.

Bose Stereo. The bass can get a bit boomy, but WAY better than the Bose on my M5, so I’m happy. Actually I think it’s pretty darn good listening to the XM/Sirius, and to classical through my iphone. Again – not the best hearing, so I’m not that particular.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Huge congrats!!!!

great writeup!

I suggest you open a new thread for it because I`m sure many more of us would enjoy reading your opionions on it as well!!

thanks for the great review!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:18 PM
KT
KT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent review, I love the detail. Will come back when I'm not on my phone.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 PM

Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 PM
KT
Sorry for all the multi quotes but I thought it might be easier.

Originally Posted by umwolverine

Get the PDCC!! It transforms the car.
I don't have it on my S, looking forward to seeing the difference.

Sound. The combination of exhaust/engine sound and the aggressive PDK setting in Sports Plus that rev matches from 4,500 rpm on downshifts is absolutely a gas! Surprised the heck out of me the first time I hit the brakes for a stop sign Brrrraaaap…..Brrrraaaap! Definitely somewhat anti-social.
Perfect. So is it like you said if it's on when the car is shut off it stays on at startup?

Exterior. First time I parked the car in public, two Dads and families were walking around the car ‘do you mind if we take some pictures’. It’s rare when I get out of the car that somebody doesn’t compliment me on it. Really a stunning car.
This has been my experience as well. Clearly the design is polarizing but I love it more because it's not perfect.

Steering wheel. THIS is how a sports-wheel should look. Aluminum, leather and just the paddles thank you – no extra buttons. The grip and feel is terrific. I prefer the leather way over the alcantara. I was concerned about changing radio stations with the stalk, but no problem at all – it works well.

The extra ‘multifunction’ gage.
Fantastic! What a great idea – I’m still getting the hang of using it, and the rest of the PCM interface.
What is this? I hope I don't kick myself for opting for the MF wheel. I wanted the paddles but decided for as much as I play with my music I didn't want to be reaching over to the PCM.

The PCM/multimedia interface. It’s a bit unfair, since I haven’t had remotely enough time to learn this, but I would give it a ‘C’ overall. Touchscreen is much more difficult to navigate than a wheel controller on the console. I imagine this system will do pretty much whatever I need, but the ergonomics are not great. Audi and BMW definitely have it over Porsche here.
I felt the same way coming out of an Audi. It's not the car's strong suit but you'll get used to it.

Rear visibility. Worst of any car I’ve ever driven. You MUST get the backup camera. I’m not sure how people operate safely without it. I don’t find the lateral visibility through the side-mirrors that bad.
Yeah, lol. Rear cameras should be standard on this car. The C pillars are large and it does have blind spots. Hasn't bothered me greatly in 2 years but I did opt for the LCA.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:21 PM

Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 AM

Quick Reply: Official Porsche Cayenne & Panamera Picture Thread