Notices
Cayenne | Panamera | Macan The Porsche Cayenne, Panamera, & Macan Discussion Forum.

Sports chrono with launch control on the S/4S- who needs it!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
rojda is an unknown quantity at this point
Sports chrono with launch control on the S/4S- who needs it!

Despite all the adoration for this feature by Porsche drivers , many reports get better numbers without it.

Edmunds Inside line got a 0-60 of 4.6s with the 4S and stated "Even in default Drive without any of the performance buttons selected, the Panamera leaves with its nose pointed skyward like a drag racer. Holy guacamole! Selecting Launch Control produced too much tire spin (first rears, then fronts) in 1st gear (all the way through 1st gear) and it only found traction in 2nd. Best run was PSM off without launch control. Lightning shifts, amazingly free-revving V8. What a machine!"

In the latest issue of Car and Driver, they tested a S without sports chrono and also got a 0-60 of 4.6s. The article compared the Panamera S to the 750i and the Maserati QP-S. The Panamera won!

On the turbo, the overboast function makes the sports chrono a big plus. However, I have not seen testing that supports a significant advantage on the S/4S.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
fowwiee is on a distinguished roadfowwiee is on a distinguished roadfowwiee is on a distinguished roadfowwiee is on a distinguished roadfowwiee is on a distinguished roadfowwiee is on a distinguished road
but lunch control is not the only function you get with the sports chrono.

you also get an addition sport plus.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
True but neither launch control or sports plus translate into faster times. If you floor it in sport mode with PCM off you get the same or better.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:21 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Sayyaaf is a name known to allSayyaaf is a name known to allSayyaaf is a name known to allSayyaaf is a name known to allSayyaaf is a name known to allSayyaaf is a name known to allSayyaaf is a name known to allSayyaaf is a name known to allSayyaaf is a name known to allSayyaaf is a name known to allSayyaaf is a name known to all
But with sport+ you get the razor sharp throttle response. the car feels lazy without it.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
If I want that kind of responsiveness, I am shifting it myself in manual mode. More fun!.
I don't think it is worth $1,400 to add sport plus to the package.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
I prefer SC. And drive the Panny with it on all the time. Sport Plus can get annoying and is really only meant for the track.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
So you drive normally in sport mode and only use sport plus for the track?
If so, what do you use the sports chrono for during regular driving?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:40 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
fowwiee is on a distinguished roadfowwiee is on a distinguished roadfowwiee is on a distinguished roadfowwiee is on a distinguished roadfowwiee is on a distinguished roadfowwiee is on a distinguished road
in sport plus the suspension also lowers and becomes much harder!

Old 02-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Sport plus on the air suspension can be operated independently from sport plus on the sport chrono.
You can put the suspension in sport plus without having a sport chrono.

I don't have a sport chrono but I have air suspension. Under normal driving conditions I have the transmission in sport mode and the suspension in sport mode. Under aggressive driving conditions, I have the air suspension in sport plus and the transmission in manual PDK.

I don't expect the sport chrono on the S/4S improves your performance numbers.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rojda
So you drive normally in sport mode and only use sport plus for the track?
If so, what do you use the sports chrono for during regular driving?
I do - I drive my C4S in sport mode (manual) all the time. I've driven in sport plus once during laps of Laguna Seca. Normal is a non-starter unless I'm doing big miles on the highway.

I only use Sport Chrono's features - namely, setting up all the lighting, displays, etc. to my liking and the fact that w/o Sport Chrono you don't get the sport/sport plus modes. In PDK cars, SC is sadly a must.

That said, my next car (hopefully a GT3) will be devoid of SC since it'll be a manual.

Quick Reply: Sports chrono with launch control on the S/4S- who needs it!