Notices
Cayenne | Panamera | Macan The Porsche Cayenne, Panamera, & Macan Discussion Forum.

In the Teamspeed Garage: 2010 Porsche Panamera 4S

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Teamspeed Contributing Editor
Auto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond repute
Post In the Teamspeed Garage: 2010 Porsche Panamera 4S

Stuart Schwartzapfel, Teamspeed.com Editor

Post Date: Nov 23, 2009
  • Base MSRP: $93,800
  • Engine: 4.8L V8
  • Power: 400 hp @ 6500 rpm, 369 ft-lbs. @ 3500 rpm
  • 0-60 MPH: 4.8 seconds
  • Top Speed: 175 MPH
  • Transmission: 7-Speed Doppelkupplung (PDK)
  • Drive Type: AWD
  • Curb Weight: 4,101 lbs
  • EPA Fuel Economy Estimates [City/Highway]: 16/24
  • Final Assembly Point: Leipzig, Germany
Exterior: Basalt Black Metallic
Interior: Black Full Leather

Fast Fact: Panamera’s 45 cubic feet of cargo capacity is equal to that of BMW 750i (14 cu ft), Mercedes S550 (16 cu ft) and Maserati Quattroporte (15 cu ft) combined!

Hey Speed Freaks,

The concept of a four-door that handles like a two door is nothing new. Nissan coined the marketing handle in ‘89 when they started affixing a “4DSC” decal to all of their 3rd generation Maximas. Long before that, Aston Martin and Maserati built low volume exotic sedans like Lagonda and Quattroporte to appease wealthy enthusiasts looking for more space from their sports cars and more exclusivity from their luxury sedans. As anyone who has actually seen a Lagonda can attest, the 1980s super sedan was cloaked in a racy sort of opulence not seen by large BMW and Mercedes offerings of the time. Now fast-forward to 2009 where, after much anticipation, Porsche has thrown down their super sedan gauntlet – the Panamera. The front engine sedan, available in RWD (S), AWD (4S) and Turbo trim levels, went on sale last month and is ready to raise hell amongst a burgeoning crop of upper crust performers like Maserati Quattroporte, Aston Martin Rapide, Rolls Royce Ghost, Audi A7 and, given the green light, Lamborghini’s Estoque. But is Panamera a pure enough drivers car to bear the Porsche crest? We say hell yes.

A lot of Porschephiles shouted blasphemy from the rooftops when Cayenne began crowding mall parking lots in 2002. And despite being nearly neck and neck with 911 as the company’s leading volume car in North America, and providing lots of valuable cash flow for Porsche R&D over the years, many still dismiss the bulky off roader as being anything more than a rebadged VW made to capitalize on America’s former love affair with hulking SUVs. While the brand’s transition to sport sedans is certainly easier to swallow, it was not without skepticism that I approached Porsche’s second foray into four-door motoring. After all, there are only so many times a brand can offend loyalists before they start shopping elsewhere.

The spy shots and production pictures I had seen of Panamera in the months before my drive were less than flattering. The car looked awkward, bloated and contrived. Like someone had grafted the ass of a Carrera onto the rear end of a big sedan. But this is one of those cars that you simply must see in person in order to appreciate. The low-slung body has presence and the merger of c-pillar and rear shoulder looks fantastic. The overall profile has Porsche written all over it and looks decidedly sportier than S-Class and 7-Series. Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that Panamera is shorter, wider and lower than most every model in the competitive set (lighter too). Despite this, the unique hatchback design and fold flat rear seats afford owners with a mind boggling 45 cubic feet of cargo capacity.

“You won’t even notice the second set of doors”, said the salesman from Porsche of Huntington as I nestled into the soft grain ruffled leather enveloping the passenger seat of the $105,000 Basalt Black 4S test vehicle. Of course he was referring to the Carrera-like athleticism that I was in store for once this baby was let off the chain. But I was still surveying the interior, examining what Porsche had done to maintain design continuity in a segment that is entirely new for the brand. Immediately recognizable are the five circular gauges in front of the steering wheel that appear to have come straight out of a Carrera. They are still nice to look at and rather easy to read. But the real centerpiece is the ascending center console that starts just below the navigation screen. It’s characterized by two-rows of single-purposed controls - like hazard lights, sport mode button and window controls – that straddle a beautifully polished PDK shifter. It’s a classy affair that slopes downward just enough to match the angle of your arm in relation to the shifter. A nice break from the luxury norm these days, Porsche designers made an obvious stand against i-Drive-esq knobs that centralize vehicle functions into a single menu.

The backseat area is equally distinguished with 2 individual thrones separated by a handsome wood/leather divider and armrest. A raft of optional amenities like heated/cooled 8-way power seats, four-zone climate control and a DVD entertainment system are available options in the rear. Some would call the 4-passenger set-up wasteful but let’s not forget we are dealing with a Porsche not a Chrysler Town & Country. The emphasis is on individual passenger comfort above and beyond maximizing passenger count. I’m no giant at 5’8” but found rear legroom to be comparable with other short wheelbase luxury sedans like 750i, S550 and Quattroporte. Overall, the interior fits like a finely tailored suit and reeks of excellent build quality - materials feel good to the touch, buttons click with a pleasing preciseness and the design is modern while not being overly complicated. Navigation, by the way, is standard equipment alongside a power lift-gate, sunroof, bi-xenon lights and LED lighting, power heated seats and a stop/start fuel-saving feature.

As you would expect from a Porsche, the Panamera rides on the firm side and features a more direct, less boosted steering feel than that of the competition. Even still, I would welcome some additional weight or stiffness to the wheel. Panamera’s overall handling prowess is more than a little impressive though, especially considering the 2-ton curb weight. Contributing to this, the front axle has an aluminum double wishbone arrangement with an aluminum subframe (the rear axle is an aluminum multilink set up). DJ and I were all smiles as we ripped around the Huntington back roads with ease. Just point and shoot, it’s that simple.

The new direct-injected V8, which puts out 400 HP in 4S guise, will not scare the shit out of you the way a 556 HP Cadillac CTS-V will but certainly makes for plenty of forward thrust. It’s as smooth as it is powerful and offers prompt throttle response at nearly all speeds. Of course the meaty torque curve cannot take all the credit here as Porsche's gen 2 PDK tranny really brings out the best this engine has to offer. Gearshifts are as rapid as I have ever seen in a dual clutch set-up short of something inside a Ferrari. Like a luxury sedan should be, cabin noise is library quiet at cruising speeds and, if that’s not good enough, opt for the thermally and noise insulated glass for enhanced insulation. I could have used a bit more exhaust note being piped into the cabin. The grumble was a little too muffled for a V8-powered performer like this.

Panamera is designed to be a daily driver with much of the thrill of a sunny Sunday car. It also features a distinctive look and healthy list of standard equipment that will likely bring loads of new customers into the fold. Even if performance is not your number one priority, the Panamera might be worth a look simply because it’s different than the Benz in your neighbor’s driveway. The unconventional hatchback design, additional seating capacity and split-folding rear seats contribute to its best-of-both-worlds character – Carrera-like athleticism cloaked in a more usable package. Plain and simple, Panamera has made rationalizing a Porsche a whole lot easier.

Until Next Time

Last edited by Auto Purveyor; 11-24-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Hellz yes. Both for the Panny and the Pictures!

Old 11-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Auto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Stoppie, next time DJ and I decided we need a professional photographer with us, these pieces are too good not to have the best possible pictures!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Absolutley! Keep'em coming!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:17 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up Stuart and next time we will have to grab the turbo.
Special thanks again to Teamspeed partner Porsche of Huntington.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
One of your best reviews yet, pics aren't too shabby either.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
R34GTRowner is an unknown quantity at this point
good information. I felt very similar about the car. good to see the industry is taking chances and experimenting.
Thanks for the write up!

Old 11-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
dubbed is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome write up!

I'm loving the Panamera more and more everytime I see it and hear about it.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:54 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Speedophile is an unknown quantity at this point
Very nicely written....and I completely agree with you that the car looks much better in person, than in the pics

Old 11-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Glad you all liked the review. I think DJ has a Lotus Evora for us next week. Keep you all posted.

Quick Reply: In the Teamspeed Garage: 2010 Porsche Panamera 4S