Notices
Car Audio & Electronics Discuss Your Car's Electronics Here. Head Units, Amplifiers, Speakers, Wiring, Security, Radar, & More!

Eclipse AVN726 Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Jack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond reputeJack628 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Eclipse AVN726 Review

Admittedly, there’ssomething cool about having a two-in-one product like the AVN4430. It’s convenient, gives you some options for how to use the product and it’s priced right (you can’t blame people for buying on price in this economy). All that applies to the AVN726E, including the part about the price. For a flagship model, it’s relatively inexpensive at an MSRP of $1,299. OK, it’s not at the more magical $1000 mark, but it’s priced well for its value.

The positives for this product are the 7" WQVGA touchscreen, great navigation graphics plus 3D maps with renderings of buildings and landmarks, and the excellent overall picture quality. Features include 5V preamp output, Direct iPod connection, built-in Bluetooth and video output for a rear monitor. Of course you get CD, DVD playback and have the ability for system expansion, e.g., Sirius satellite radio and HD Radio. If you want traffic info you’ll need the Sirius Traffic receiver. If you live amidst the tangle of freeways in California (or in any congested metropolitan area), save yourself the money. Just bet on traffic all the time. I’m almost never wrong about that!

Connecting your iPod to the AVN726E is a simple matter, which is great, but it’s a shame that you need an optional cable to watch your videos. That being said, at least in terms of audio the unit does provide great sound by bypassing your iPod's D/A converter and using the internal DAC. I found the iPod menu a bit plain and accessing files from a large library was a little on the slow side.

You have the option of using Advanced or Simple mode for controlling the product’s functions which may be helpful for some users. As for the navigation performance—the screen has a highly readable layout and prompt turn alerts. The unit is a flash-based nav system with over 16 million POIs and includes map data of the U.S., including Alaska, Hawaii, as well as Puerto Rico and Canada (which we all know is really simply a part of our country, except with a weird healthcare system). Levity aside, nav voice guidance is available in Spanish and French, as well as English. Overall, it’s a complete nav system that presents itself well and functions superbly.

An extra cable is needed for iPod video, but on the other hand, Bluetooth is built-in. I love built-in. The hands-free audio quality was excellent. There were no issues with distortion or echoes during our review. Also, I did appreciate that the display indicates signal strength for the phone and
battery life as well.

The DVD picture was brilliant, all the colors looked remarkably “clean”. The DVD menu was a little lackluster. The same applies for the menu for the iPod. But this is a small cosmetic matter and I don’t imagine many will be too troubled by that. The unit itself is simple and elegant and looks factory in the dash. It was perfect in the Scion xB we used for the review.

If you can afford to spend a few more bucks on a higher end navigation source unit, then the AVN726E is a great buy. You don’t always get what you pay for in life, but at least with this flagship Eclipse unit you get your money’s worth.

Soucre - Videos

Old 08-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Votblindub is an unknown quantity at this point
I was looking this unit up on cent and looking for reviews. my deck is starting to act funny after being in two cars for like 8 years or so. This is one of the potential ones I am looking at.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:54 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Go for it Votblindub, this looks like one amazing deck

Old 09-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Votblindub is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by DJ
Go for it Votblindub, this looks like one amazing deck
when i save up enough cash. theyre kinda on the expensive side
i jsut spent a LOT on wheels, suspension, tires, maintenance timing belt kit and ive still got to get that all in and on the car and get a couple more minor things.