Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Have you tracked your Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Have you tracked your Spyder?

TS,

To the Spyder owners - have any of you tracked your cars yet? I am curious to know how you handled the top/safety issue of the car. I have been told you cant run with the top up since it will blow off at high speeds - so you run with it down. But then i heard there is an issue with safety?
Can anyone chime in on this? Thank you.

Jon

Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
littlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond repute
Not yet, hoping too very soon. I believe you have to run with it off. I've only autocrossed.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by littlebulldogg
Not yet, hoping too very soon. I believe you have to run with it off. I've only autocrossed.
Ye i was told it has to be off - but then was told about some sort of "arm restraint" system that the tracks required??? know anything about that???

Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant futureBullitt44 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
Ye i was told it has to be off - but then was told about some sort of "arm restraint" system that the tracks required??? know anything about that???

Most clubs require arm restraints for convertibles.

They are a good idea!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
krenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond repute
You might want to hit up savyboy. I know I've seen a few posts with him tracking his Spyder (at Laguna Seca, IIRC). I'm sure he could give you some good info.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Bullitt44
Most clubs require arm restraints for convertibles.

They are a good idea!
That is what im being told. I dont even know what that is??? Got any info on one for me?

Originally Posted by krenshaw
You might want to hit up savyboy. I know I've seen a few posts with him tracking his Spyder (at Laguna Seca, IIRC). I'm sure he could give you some good info.
I sent him a PM.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
JCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond repute
Savvy ran at Laguna with the top down. He has a Hans and 6 point harness.

Out of curiosity, what is the issue with safety with the top down that you heard about?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
NotSoMiniC has a reputation beyond reputeNotSoMiniC has a reputation beyond reputeNotSoMiniC has a reputation beyond reputeNotSoMiniC has a reputation beyond reputeNotSoMiniC has a reputation beyond reputeNotSoMiniC has a reputation beyond reputeNotSoMiniC has a reputation beyond reputeNotSoMiniC has a reputation beyond reputeNotSoMiniC has a reputation beyond reputeNotSoMiniC has a reputation beyond reputeNotSoMiniC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pearlcoupeg35
TS,

To the Spyder owners - have any of you tracked your cars yet? I am curious to know how you handled the top/safety issue of the car. I have been told you cant run with the top up since it will blow off at high speeds - so you run with it down. But then i heard there is an issue with safety?
Can anyone chime in on this? Thank you.

Jon
This summer at a recent track event at Putnam park there were two spyders being driven by porsche driving instructors ;both were being driven with the tops up for the entire event.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
IIRC the limit with the top up is 125mph. I wouldn't run with it up. Cabs are required to have rollover protection when running track events and sometimes--but not always--arm restraints, which necessitate a harness. Arm restraints thread through the lower belts of a harness and keep your arms from flying all over the place in an impact. It's kind of a PITA as you need a harness bar to attach a harness to, but it is a substantial improvement in safety.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quick Reply: Have you tracked your Spyder?