Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Orange Calipers and Other Winter Fun...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Coochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond repute
Orange Calipers and Other Winter Fun...

I did some mods myself this winter. Nothing too profound but I thought I'd share them.
  1. Painted the calipers Mustang Grabber Orange
  2. Fabspeed Cat Bypass pipe - saved about 8 pounds....shucks.
  3. Front Fascia for cooling ducts and 3rd radiator
  4. Braille 11 pound battery

I painted the calipers using the G2 high temperature paint kit. While I thought about doing a custom RS Orange, I decided that the stock color Mustang Grabber Orange was close enough. I also have a few different Oranges represented in some of my graphics so I thought I'd add to the pot pourri. To paint the calipers, I did remove them, removed the caliper connecting lines and bleeder valves, and painters taped around the internals. The G2 kit is nice but I think my painting skills could be improved upon!! I know that I've seen 600F on my rotors at the track so I'm curious to see how well this product stands up. I do think the calipers look pretty cool now in ORANGE!

I replaced the catalysts since the Pawxster is now exclusively track. I used the Fabspeed pipes with extensions for the secondary set of O2 sensors. By extending the distance from the sensor, these are supposed to 'fool' the ECU to believe that emissions are OK. I haven't thrown a CEL but I don't think I'll know for sure until it hits the track in April. Fabspeed tells me that the chance of getting a CEL is pretty low with these extensions. I measure dB readings before and after placing the bypass pipes as I was concerned about making the car too loud as more and more tracks are limiting dB. There was NO difference in my before and after readings....interesting.

I made front fascia to protect the 3rd radiator from debris. Last season was the first year with the extra radiator and it definitely took some hits. I removed the front bumper using the Bentley manual as a guide. I used stainless steel mesh from Pegasus Racing. I placed larger mesh on the lateral ducts and simply secured it with zip ties. I used a finer mesh on the 3rd radiator and secured it with several screws and a hot glue gun. It came out pretty nice if I do say so.

Finally, I replaced my stock battery with the Braille 11 pound kit.

And now for some gratuitous pictures.......

Old 02-18-2011, 08:27 PM
ljg
Teamspeed Pro
ljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond repute
Man, today must be some sort of record of guys coming back.

Looking good, Mr. Orange.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Coochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond reputeCoochas has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ljg
Man, today must be some sort of record of guys coming back.

Looking good, Mr. Orange.
The rumors of my death were greatly exaggerated!
I did however fall off a ladder a few weeks ago and really screwed up my clutch leg.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Looks good, Dave. You gave that Boxster a great new lease on life! How's that tangerine Turbo doing?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Looks good, Dave. You gave that Boxster a great new lease on life! How's that tangerine Turbo doing?
Hey Buddy!
Yeah the Boxster's got a whole new lease on life. It now has as many track miles as street miles and it's very happy.

The Super Pumpkin is fine although feeling very neglected. Because I bought my big ass truck the turbo sat this winter out. I'm so ashamed. I love the car so much and am fairly certain that it is going to be a long term ride so I thought I'd save it from the winter this year. Frankly with all the snow we've had this season, there is no way the TT would have been OK even with the snow tires. There were many work days where the snow was fairly deep on the roads.

Hope you're well!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Good to see you Back. Any updates to the 911 Turbo, love the spec on your car.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
Good to see you Back. Any updates to the 911 Turbo, love the spec on your car.
Bone stock.
I could see adding a chip and exhaust in the coming years just for some extra fun. It's now been 2 years since I picked up the car. I can't wait for Spring.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome back Dave! The mods look great on the Pawxster!

Hope your leg feels better soon.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Welcome back Dave! The mods look great on the Pawxster!

Hope your leg feels better soon.
Thanks Alex.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Dave we missed you man! Feel well soon!

Quick Reply: Orange Calipers and Other Winter Fun...