Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Advice sought for Cayman or Boxster choice

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
911TurboS2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Advice sought for Cayman or Boxster choice

Folks-

I am used to driving and racing 911 TTs and GT3RS's, but I want to "down-size" (no insult is intended) to a Cayman or Boxster. I don't know much about these cars - what is the most powerful - is it the Cayman R? What is the best bang for the money?

Would like dual street / track use.

Thanks in advance - Gerry

Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 AM
pcw
Teamspeed Rookie
pcw is an unknown quantity at this point
I have never driven a GT3RS or a 911TT, I have a Spyder and no one has driven a Cayman R, with that said I would say the Spyder will still be the best bang for the buck. Here is why, 1. With the 10 extra HP in the CR, not sure you will see a big difference between the Spyder and CR in performance. 2. The CR will cost you more, no question about that. You can find "slightly" used Spyder's for a pretty good discount. 3. and the most important to me is the Spyder is a better looking car than the CR, IMO. I feel either way you will be disappoint in the power after coming from the GT3RS and the 911TT.

On a tight track the Spyder and CR will close the gap between what you are use to driving. The straightaways you will lose ground because HP different, but that is the trade-off when you downsize.

pcw

Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Howdy Gerry,

Drop me an email, you know my address.

If you would like to have a lot of "amenities" opting for the "s" model is the best value... however, i know what you like... you are an "r" guy.

Casey

Old 02-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
The best bang for the buck is probably a standard S with some performance upgrades, like a lightweight flywheel, IPD plenum, and / or a lightweight exhaust. Most Cayman Rs have been speced with a/c and a stereo, negating much of the weight savings of the package. So you end up with a car that's considerably more expensive but gains 10hp.

The standard S, even one luxuriously equipped like mine, is a really capable track car when properly set up.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Get a Cayman S and send it to TPC. Can't go wrong with those guys.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
krenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sean
The standard S, even one luxuriously equipped like mine, is a really capable track car when properly set up.
^^ This.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
JCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond repute
If you are going to spec a cayman with the options that the R already has as standard (aerokit, sport bucket seats etc) then its actually a few $k cheeper to go R... and you get the bonus of aluminum doors.

Last edited by JCay; 02-09-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
If the R had a ducktail, dubble bubble roof, and Spyder front and rear bumpers, I'd say get the Cayman R. Since it doesn't, you should get the Spyder, unless you will be using this car in the winter and rain extensively, then you should get the Cayman R.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
JCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Carrara
If the R had a ducktail, dubble bubble roof, and Spyder front and rear bumpers, I'd say get the Cayman R. Since it doesn't, you should get the Spyder, unless you will be using this car in the winter and rain extensively, then you should get the Cayman R.
Have you driven either of the cars you are trying to give advice about?
(this is a rhetorical question, please don't actually attempt to answer)

Old 02-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
krenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JCay
Have you driven either of the cars you are trying to give advice about?
(this is a rhetorical question, please don't actually attempt to answer)
Exactly...

Back to the OP's question -- for those of us with experience -- I agree with JCay that ordering an 'R' would be the preferred choice, as opposed to optioning up a brand new CS. Plus, depending on climate and how much street use it'll see, the OP may prefer the Cayman's fixed roof to the Spyder's "canopy."

Although, the OP was also asking about bang for the buck. So, I guess it would depend on how many bucks we're talking about here. For a real bargain, I'd consider a lightly used '09 CS or later (I like the DFI) as an excellent choice for street & track use.

But, I may be a little biased Mine is optioned up with heated sport seats, stereo, and other comforts that make it a pleasure to drive every day. At the same time, it's still a hell of a lot of fun on the track.