Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Anyone with feedback on Bose Surround Sound System on a Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
z356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone with feedback on Bose Surround Sound System on a Cayman?

I have questions regarding the sound systems available for the Cayman R. The sound system choice on the Spyder is limited to the Sound Package Plus System for $700 and you get the optional CDR-30 Radio at no charge. I believe the Sound Package Plus includes 7 speakers and a 185 watt output receiver. The Cayman R, on the other hand, appears to get three 'sound' options per the current PCNA's configurator:

1) CDR-30 Audio System (at no charge) - 'With optimized handling, 5-inch Display (monochrome) and MP3 audio play with 4 loudspeaker and integrated amplifier (2 x 25 watts)'

2) Sound Package Plus ($700) - 'Sound system with 9 loudspeakers and 235 watt output'.(edited on Dec 4th)

3) Bose Surround Sound System ($1690) - 'Digital sound system for special sound experience, altogether 11 loudspeaker inclusive active subwoofer and center speaker. Seven channel amplifier with 385 watts of total output and original BOSE signal processing technology. Microphone for interior noise measuring for the permanent optimization of volume and sound pattern for a balanced three dimensional sound as well as a highly transparent, original, faithful surround sound during the rendition of music in 5.1.'

The no cost CDR-30 Audio System has the lightest components, but also offers the least sound quality and the lowest amplifier power. But I have a question for those that have a Cayman or Cayman S with a factory CDR-30 radio & Sound Package Plus. Is this $700 option worth it? And for those with the Bose Surround Sound System (which on those models only costs $990), is this system worth the extra money?

I don't know how many will order Bose on the R since the spirit of the Cayman is performance and not high-fidelity, plus it will add some unwanted weight. In addition, we still don't know the level of sound insulation on the Cayman R. It will probably be closer to the current Cayman S instead of the lightly insulated cabin of the mostly track oriented .2 RS. Yet, stereo buffs might still want to combine their sport car with their sound hobby by ordering the Bose package. I just want to know from forum members that have these two sound systems on similar Porsche models - Sound Pkg Plus and Bose Surround - their opinions on how they sound & if they are worth the additional expense. z356

Last edited by z356; 12-04-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
How do you plan on (be honest) using the car?

Old 12-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute
The Bose system in my 911 is incredible. I just got a new Range Rover with Harmon Kardon system and it sucks donkey balls compared to the P-Car.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
z356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond repute
Chris: It will NOT be a dedicated track car. This Cayman R will be used as driver on the street and on spirited runs on back roads in California and at my other home in Colorado. Perhaps one or two DE at nearby Laguna Seca. It will have the optional Sport Exhaust that, when in use via the console button, will render any stereo useless. However, on certain occasions, like on a trip from Carmel to Los Angeles on Hwy 101, it would be nice to listen to some good stereo music for part of the trip. So at a minimum, I will order the CDR-30 radio and the $700 Sound Package Plus. I just want to know if the Bose option is worth the additional $1000.

And I will, like most Spyder owners, be ordering A/C too. But I am keeping the sport buckets to save the added weight of the Leather Sports. As a manager of a P-dealership, Chris, what is your take also on resale/trade-in of a Spyder or Cayman R down the line if it doesn't have any radio or speakers? I know with regards A/C most dealers I know are saying it will be the kiss of death if you order A/C delete on any Spyder, Cayman R and even gt3 RS! Regards, z356

Old 12-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
really short answer: Get BOSE. If you like music, which I do but am not a serious audiophile like some of the guys/girls on here, I appreciate better sounding systems. BOSE gives you better resale / trade in- but a car w/o A/C is certainly an instant killer on the $$. So my point of view is the same as there's on that subject.

Hope that helps and post pic's when you get the car!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Sanner - "z356" and I have been chatting quite a bit offline about the Cayman R. I've been leaning toward NOT getting any sound system (if I get one, I'd do the Bose - all or nothing, I suppose). Will it be a residual killer to not have a stereo? I plan on adding A/C to keep it driveable over the summers in DC. I honestly hope to keep this car forever, so resale is not a major consideration, but still a consideration nonetheless.

E - Buena suerte - I'll keep you informed on my end...

Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
It's only $1000; what will he remember a year after ownership? The money he saved or the better music he could have been enjoying. And yes, aftermarket is a solution - most enjoy the oem look and feel.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
krenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond repute
I agree that it should be Bose or nothing at all. I have the Bose system and it really is a marked improvement over the basic stereo.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
I have the Bose and it's great, but I don't see the point in a R...

Old 12-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
b9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond reputeb9ev has a reputation beyond repute
I have the Bose cdr24 and it sounds great.

Quick Reply: Anyone with feedback on Bose Surround Sound System on a Cayman?