Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

PCCB's on Spyders

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
z356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond repute
PCCB's on Spyders

Because of the high cost ($8150) or other concerns, most dealers & early adopters who initially ordered Spyders did not specified Ceramic brakes on their cars. Now that you (Spyder owners) have driven your cars for many miles and months, any of you regret not having the PCCB's? If you had to do it over again, would you have wanted (or ordered) PCCBs rather than the standard steel brakes on your Spyder? z356

Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
littlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond reputelittlebulldogg has a reputation beyond repute
no, steel brakes are fine.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
yellow doesnt match!!!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
z356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, they might not match color-wise. But here is what I am trying to get at. When Car & Driver recently selected the Spyder as the best handling car for under $100K sold in America, it had this to say about the Spyder brakes:

"We had a small beef with the brakes. The Porsche had the longest-stroke pedal, which allowed for unmatched exactness on the street, but it doesn’t have quite enough bite. And on the track, things got a bit too soft."

I have also heard some complaints about the standard brakes from at least two current Spyder owners. Here is what one wrote to me recently:

"If I had to do it over again I probably would splurge for the PCCBs. The feel (and bite) of the PCCBs is unbelievable. Plus, the brake dust that accumulates on the wheels (with the steels) is pretty bad -- with PCCBs, not a problem."

I know that the PCCB's on the Spyder will not be the same as those on the gt3's. Besides being smaller (350mm), they have a different brake booster and a different feel. Not as much 'bite' as the PCCB's of the gt3 cars. But one owner that I know here at Teamspeed that has both a PCCB equipped Spyder and a PCCB equipped .2 RS, while telling me the difference between the two brake systems, still recommends PCCB's on the Spyder...even though he has destroy his set from constant hard use on the track (something I will not do since I will not be doing many track events as he does).

So, I am still debating whether to have ceramics or not on my Spyder. If anyone else has experience with brake issues on a Spyder, I would love to hear from you. z356

Old 11-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Teamspeed Member
david9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enoughdavid9962000 will become famous soon enough
For a better bite and and a hard pedal, I would try the Pagid Club Sport pads and steel brake lines.

Last edited by david9962000; 11-07-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
From what I've seen on other forums, PCCB's are only practical on the track, and cost too much. Steel brakes look better, and unless you are going to track your Spyder very frequently, will do just fine.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
4DRSpeed is a glorious beacon of light4DRSpeed is a glorious beacon of light4DRSpeed is a glorious beacon of light4DRSpeed is a glorious beacon of light4DRSpeed is a glorious beacon of light4DRSpeed is a glorious beacon of light4DRSpeed is a glorious beacon of light4DRSpeed is a glorious beacon of light4DRSpeed is a glorious beacon of light4DRSpeed is a glorious beacon of light4DRSpeed is a glorious beacon of light
We have a local going through the same issue that Car and Driver talks about exactly. We're looking into stainless lines and Motul fluid.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
JCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 4DRSpeed
We have a local going through the same issue that Car and Driver talks about exactly. We're looking into stainless lines and Motul fluid.
Problem solved.

If you want a really firm brake pedal, you can also switch out the Master Brake Cylinder for the GT3 one. It is a relatively cost affective part and a direct swap. Makes the brakes feel MUCH better.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
pearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond reputepearlcoupeg35 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by david9962000
For a better bite and and a hard pedal, I would try the Pagid Club Sport pads and steel brake lines.
DING DING DING!

Save your money - keep the red brakes that match the cool colors of the Spyder and do this upgrade. A friend of mine just did this and cant stop talking about it.

to the OP, if you want more info - PM me and ill give you my buddys email.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Not even Spyder specific, but to chime in with the other guys, the response you feel from a pad upgrade and SS lines can be quite substantial.

Enjoy this legendary car!

Quick Reply: PCCB's on Spyders