Notices
Boxster | Cayman The Porsche Boxster & Cayman Discussion Forum.

Judgement Day at TPC (N.A)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
golfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to all
Judgement Day at TPC (N.A)

Well after nearly 3+ years my car in terms of power has met it's end. I will finally find out tomorrow what all the mods have added up to. I'm scared TBH. Ha, I can see the dyno chart now with an est of "only" 350 BHP. I'm shooting and hoping for 370+. Realistically I always thought it would be around 360.

I was never too concerned about how much power my car made and what the HP numbers were, for I now LOVE the way it drives, sounds and feels now. In my mind, the power department is finally up to par with the handling . However, after a recent car meet and pull with a 2010 Subie WRX Sti with 390HP worth of mods and a win in my pocket it got me wondering. How much is in the back there? Tomorrow will be that day.

The power mods that will be on my car tomorrow:

1. De-snork
2. Evo-Intake (dry filter)
3. GT3 Throttle Body
4. IPD Competition Hose & Plenum (82mm)
5. NHP Race Headers
6. Agency Power Exhaust
7. Dream1
8. RSS Underdrive pulley
9. Softronics ECU Flash

Wish me luck gents.

My wallet and I will be plugging our ears as soon as they start to talk about their turbo kit

Videos will come

This is my first real post here at teampseed and thought I'd kick it off with an interesting one and say hello. Although I won't have as much power as HassaanAbdeen and his "Turbo S" cayman, I was/am trying to see how much I can get while still keeping it oh so naturale baby

Last edited by golfguy11800; 08-25-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Teamspeed Member
erazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud oferazer72 has much to be proud of
I hate to say it, but, RWHP might be around 320-330. For your sake I hope Im wrong. I have done similar mods that should yield 370 Crank HP.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome golfguy! I hope you'll get a good amount of hp gain.

Last edited by Carrera; 08-25-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
golfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to allgolfguy11800 is a name known to all
Ok guys here we go...

I arrived and Tom took good care of me and we got to work right away.

While my car was taken around to the dyno I got a chance to take a peep here and there to see what cars were being worked on. I think there were at least 5 caymans there getting the turbo kit

Some slow vehicles at the shop...

After I wiped the drool from my mouth, I walked over to the dyno to see my car ready to be tested.

The car was strapped down and ram fans were positioned in place at the front of the car.

Now that we're all strapped in, we were ready to go! Turn up the volume! But not too loud

YouTube - Cayman GT Dyno

Sleepy 996 was right. I needed the tissues to wipe the tears inside I'm not going to lie, I was disappointed. 278.65 whp? A gain of about 28 WHP from stock after all that? Damn, all I could see was a few $K down the drain. Yes, I did not do a base dyno for I never thought I'd go to the end with the power mods like I am now. So I really have nothing to compare it to. If it was a perfect world and my car was truly 250.75 WHP stock then yes it was a gain of 28 WHP. However, after talking with Tom and scratching my head for an hour, he explained that in his field of work and testing he's noticed that the Tiptronic versions of the Porsche's generate about 20WHP less than the manuals. He saw this in the case of a few 997 Turbo's they dyno'd. I was also informed that my car was the first Cayman Tip they've ever dyno'd.

So this leaves me sad, however I was not out to execute HP numbers from the start or ever. I just wanted to make the performance power department up to par with that of the handling. And there I truly feel like I have accomplished that goal and won. I am PERFECTLY happy with the way the car performs now and am not thinking of a way to finance a turbo kit. I feel no need, I'm content with what a great machine it is now. Truly what it should have been from the factory...well...minus the exhaust sound, it's pretty loud and probably too much for most folks, but I love it :dance:.

I don't want to get into an argument over racing on the street etc, but some recent pulls with a few cars was the reason why I went to dyno my car. Let me just get all the ugly out real quick:soapbox:

1. Pulled with my neighbor's Ferrari 355, smoked it.
2. Pulled with a new RS4 near even, he got a 1/4 car after a mile if anything
3. Two Subies with at least 300+ WHP, dyno tested, walked them.

I'm not using those examples to gloat or stamp my feet, but rather as a point to bring up some confusion. How could it be that my car makes 320BHP (270.65x1.15 15% drivetrain loss) yet can keep up and or go faster than my examples listed? It doesn't add up. Things just aren't adding up.

Conclusion. A big thanks to Tom and the guys at TPC for conducting the test and helping me clarify a few things. Keep up the good work and great customer service

Oh and real quick, you will see that my air/fuel ratio is a bit high. Would the proper process of correcting this be emailing Softronics, showing them my dyno and having them send me a new flash to help correct this? I don't want to do any damage to my engine since it's on the high (rich or lean, I forgot?) side.

Thanks again everyone!

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TPC Dyno08-25-10.pdf (73.8 KB, 41 views)
TPC Dyno 08-25-10 mph.pdf (74.3 KB, 29 views)
TPC Dyno 08-25-10 rpm.pdf (72.3 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by golfguy11800; 08-25-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:27 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
That is strong for a Tip Chad... I told you that i have never seen an NA cayman go over 288whp on our dyno.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:03 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
That is strong for a Tip Chad... I told you that i have never seen an NA cayman go over 288whp on our dyno.
Yes I know, I guess it's funny how I always thought it would be more than what it was . I've driven both PDK and MT Gen. II Cayman S's and they both felt considerably slower than my car yet they technically have the same HP numbers according to the dyno results and Porsche's claims. I'm not mad at the dyno or anything. Numbers are just numbers and I'm more about how the car truly feels when you get inside and drive it. And by that mark, I'm more than happy with what I have. My goal was to match the performance to the handling and I can without a doubt check that off.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Carrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond reputeCarrera has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I guess hp isn't everything. If the Carrera GT had 300hp (hypothetically), but still felt exactly the same, you'd rather have that than a 600hp Supra that felt stock, right?

You have a really awesome car. Not that it's my business, but you had to of got those 13k seats used, right?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
JCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond reputeJCay has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschecarreragtmay6
Well, I guess hp isn't everything.
You are no longer entitled to an opinion.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by JCay
You are no longer entitled to an opinion.
rep

Old 08-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by porschecarreragtmay6
Well, I guess hp isn't everything. If the Carrera GT had 300hp (hypothetically), but still felt exactly the same, you'd rather have that than a 600hp Supra that felt stock, right?

You have a really awesome car. Not that it's my business, but you had to of got those 13k seats used, right?
Kind of. The car seriously performs like it has 390+BHP...yet it doesn't have that. When I drove the gen II Cayman S and mashed the throttle at 5kRPM, I felt like I had mashed the throttle of a camry seriously. It amazed me at how "slow" it felt.

I think someone with a gen II CS needs to drive my car. All are welcome! I'm in MD.

Thanks for the compliments. And YESSSS 13K used.....

Quick Reply: Judgement Day at TPC (N.A)