Notices
Bentley | Rolls Royce | Land Rover Continental GT, GTC, Flying Spur, Arnage, Azure, Brooklands, Phantom & Land Rover Discussion Forum.

Disco Series II Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
keprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond repute
Disco Series II Reliability

Hey all, I wanted to get some perspective from owners on the reliability of the Disco Series IIs. My wife and I are thinking about buying one as we need a good 4WD vehicle and I have always like the looks and capabilities of Land Rovers. However, I have also heard they are in the shop all the time. What have your guys' experiences been with them?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:01 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
They are great but I can assure you parts are expensive and I think the A/C is not that great in the summer but all in all its a great offroader. If your looking for ease of use and reliability nothing beats a 198 series LandCruiser with the 4.7L V8.

Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of81911 has much to be proud of
No such thing

Old 01-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
keprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond reputekeprunited8 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MeanMachine
They are great but I can assure you parts are expensive and I think the A/C is not that great in the summer but all in all its a great offroader. If your looking for ease of use and reliability nothing beats a 198 series LandCruiser with the 4.7L V8.
My wife and I were looking into Landcruisers as well, we just weren't sure that they were comparable in terms of ability in bad conditions. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by keprunited8
My wife and I were looking into Landcruisers as well, we just weren't sure that they were comparable in terms of ability in bad conditions. Thanks for the feedback!
Nothing compares to a LandCruiser.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Zorro
Nothing compares to a LandCruiser.
I agree. Actually just had this conversation not 2 hours ago. If you want the full "Land Rover" experience, buy an old Explorer (solid axle) and take it to a Jaguar dealership. Have them replace a bunch of electrical parts at full retail, then drive the car home. On the way home, stop it on the side of the road, and light it on fire. Walk the rest of the way home.

If you liked doing that, get the Disco.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
bavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud ofbavmtrwrksftw has much to be proud of
I have heard things about the Disco such as "It's not leaking oil, it's just marking it's path." That may concern the reliability a bit.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond reputeGroupB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bennett
I have heard things about the Disco such as "It's not leaking oil, it's just marking it's path." That may concern the reliability a bit.

When it STOPS leaking oil, it's time to check the oil.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond reputePatrickHenry has a reputation beyond repute
i had a new 2000 disco II model and had to have the engine rebuilt twice in the first 66k miles. the engine is based on a 1950 buick block... the horsepower is around 180 and gets about 10 mpg. you could easily spend $3,000-$7,000 in repairs in the first year. (my opinion only)

dumb idiot women think you have an $80k vehicle though...

i know 2 people that drive white ones, but they both are the offspring of a plastic surgeon and an attorney...

Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
crazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond repute
Avoid this car like the plague.

My sister got a brand new series II for her 16th birthday. When it came time for her to drive to college it wasn't reliable enough (36,000 miles on the car) to make the 70 mile journey from Memphis to Oxford. She instead drove our '96 Lexus LX450 lifted with mud tires since it was better on the highway. I $hit you not.

The car leaked oil like crazy. Here are some of the problems:

The transmission wouldn't shift out of drive
The windows rolled down randomly
You would remove the key from the ignition but the car would keep running
The blinkers only worked when they felt like it
The transfer case would not shift into low to save your life

Quick Reply: Disco Series II Reliability