Notices
Bentley | Rolls Royce | Land Rover Continental GT, GTC, Flying Spur, Arnage, Azure, Brooklands, Phantom & Land Rover Discussion Forum.

I just returned from the Bentley factory.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Teamspeed Member
Brandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond reputeBrandi has a reputation beyond repute
I just returned from the Bentley factory.

I have just returned from the Bentley factory and was able to check out the new Supersports and get a sneak peak at the new 2011 Bentley code named “Project Kimberley” or BY 831. This will be the replacement for the Arnage.

During the unveiling of “Project Kimberley” we met the designers but weren’t allowed to take any photos. This car is a secret until Pebble Beach (August) when it will be unveiled to the world. This will mark the first time any new car is unveiled on the lawn of the Concours. “Kimberley” is about as far removed from the current Arnage as the 2004 Continental GT was from the earlier Continental T. This is the first all-new big Bentley since the 8-litre in 1931. “Kimberley” features an all new V8. Lighter, cleaner, and with cylinder deactivation; plus an all new ZF 8 speed transmission and E85 capable. With standard 21 inch wheels, the tire height is exactly ½ the height of the car; makes for a great visual. It’s 6 inches longer than a current Arnage and much lower/wider. To achieve weight reductions and a distinctive ‘machined from solid’ look, “Project Kimberley” makes extensive use of superformed aluminium components rather than conventional steel. The process is common in the aircraft industry, but very new to automotive manufacturing. Superforming enables Bentley to create complex 3D parts from sheet aluminum.

Clearly this car has as much “presence” as a Phantom without being locomotive looking like the Rolls. It is modern and sleek. The interior is new with lots of influence from the older Bentley heritage.

We also saw the new Continental Supersports. Very striking visually, it’s a GT Speed with attitude. The car features a “Quick Shift” ZF transmission which has truly 50% faster shift times. It is so fast that, even through the engine management system cuts fuel flow and spark to reduce torque shock on up shifts, the Supersports momentum keeps it accelerating right through the change. It will also rev closer to redline before up shifts.

242 pounds lighter, 621hp, 0-60 in 3.7 with 2 people & full tanks & ballast to simulate luggage; they say it should do 3.5 in lighter trim. Impressive numbers for a car that weighs 4,938 pounds. They say this car will run with a 599. The interior actually has some 599 influence. The Supersports have a 2 inch wider rear track than the GT and have a 40/60 front/rear torque split balance.

I had amazing luck and won a ride in the Supersports at the factory. I think I’m the second person in North America to have a ride in the Supersports. I was the envy of about 50 other people. I can’t say I knew what I was expecting….but it did exceed whatever expectations those might have been. I thought the GT Speed was incredible, but this goes beyond that. The power and the shift times were truly impressive. The handling was more race car like. The seats were actually comfortable. I have driven many different exotic cars, but this lives up to the Supercar label. That ride through the back country roads at the factory is something I will never forget.

Our store will get three 2010 Supersports in 2009. The car will have a $267k base, but finally includes Carbon Ceramic brakes standard. The first 200 Supersports will be gasoline and after that they will all be flex fuel cars. By 2012 all Bentley’s will be flex fuel.

The Supersport s will be available in 2 satin paint colors (a $32,360 option). Bentley expects to do only 20 cars in this satin paint worldwide. The satin paint trend may be fading, but as I looked at the painted fender samples in comparison, the shadows it created did show off the lines in a different way.

I stayed at Crewe Hall...an 18th century mansion.

YouTube - Bentley Continental Supersports

Attached Images           

Last edited by Brandi; 05-23-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up thanks for sharing I'm looking forward to the Arnage replacement

Old 05-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Russ has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Brandi
During the unveiling of “Project Kimberley” we met the designers but weren’t allowed to take any photos. This car is a secret until Pebble Beach (August) when it will be unveiled to the world. This will mark the first time any new car is unveiled on the lawn of the Concours.
Wasn't the Veyron Roadster unveiled last year at Concours?

Old 05-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the writeup and pics, Brandi! Sounds like an awesome trip!

$32K for matte paint?!?! Who are they kidding?!

Last edited by Alzilla; 05-23-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, I seriously envy you! It is always fun to read stories like this right before I head to bed, allows me to continue dreaming.

Has Bentley been able to maintain the 'Gentleman's Car' image of the current Arnage in the all new Kimberley? Around here it's mostly old money that drives around in an Arnage while the Nouveau Riche tend to only drive the Continental Series.

By the way, which animal/mammal comes to mind when you look a the front of the Supersports?

Old 05-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
-Centurion is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for sharing Brandi but I would appreciate it if you could further elaborate on the design of the Arnage replacement. Is the design evolutionary and carries over the "sleek brick" shape of the current Arnage, or is the design a bit more round and voluptuous like the Continental GT or Veyron?

I've anticipated this car for a few years now and have very high hopes.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond reputeMiniRup has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by -Centurion
Thanks for sharing Brandi but I would appreciate it if you could further elaborate on the design of the Arnage replacement. Is the design evolutionary and carries over the "sleek brick" shape of the current Arnage, or is the design a bit more round and voluptuous like the Continental GT or Veyron?

I've anticipated this car for a few years now and have very high hopes.
+1.
Thanks for posting Brandi, cool about the ride in the Supersports. Sounds like quite a nice job you've got
Although, the 8-speed gearbox sounds a bit like overkill. Bentley's aren't excactly known for being light in the loafers when it comes to torque, and the 8-speed unit in the Lexus IS-F isn't exactly universally loved.

ETA: Oh yeah, cylinder deactivation - about time! Also, Brandi; will "Kimberley" (Oh God...) be RWD or AWD?
ETA - Part Deaux: I read on another website that Bentley will push up-market with this car, making it more of a Phantom rival. Can you confirm or deny this?

Last edited by MiniRup; 05-24-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:24 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
umm,......wow!

wow at the cars and wow at....you know it

Old 05-24-2009, 03:34 AM
TS Official Automotive Enthusiast
D55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up and . I am looking forward to see Arnage replacment. Seems to be truly awesome car. Brandi, you was truly lucky to get such an awesome ride in GT Supersports. I am waiting hard now for first dealer demo cars to appear in autumn

Old 05-24-2009, 10:23 AM
TS Official Automotive Enthusiast
D55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Russ
Wasn't the Veyron Roadster unveiled last year at Concours?
Yes, Bugatti did it. But Veyron Grand Sport IMO is not all new model, just a new version of "regular" Veyron.

Quick Reply: I just returned from the Bentley factory.