Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

Space Shuttle 2: Even better!

Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Registered Member
DrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond reputeDrgnTmr has a reputation beyond repute
It's politics that determined the final "homes" for the orbiters.
Cape Kennedy is a natural, as is DC.
As it is, LA will get one and the final in New York.
Houston should have gotten one, but that's the political game.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
texanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond reputetexanphotography has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DrgnTmr
It's politics that determined the final "homes" for the orbiters.
Cape Kennedy is a natural, as is DC.
As it is, LA will get one and the final in New York.
Houston should have gotten one, but that's the political game.
If Obama can make it political, he will

Old 04-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
st00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond reputest00ge has a reputation beyond repute
Great shots, bummed I never quiet get over for a launch was something I wanted to do

Old 04-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
slavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond reputeslavik has a reputation beyond repute
Seriously awesome photos indeed! Must spread rep!!!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Teamspeed Member
Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Ksears You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I'm speechless. I honestly had NO idea just how huge the shuttles were until I saw these pictures! It's threads like these that make me so damn glad I'm a member of Teamspeed.
Thank you!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the comment, and bumping this thread. I hadn't revisited these pics in a while and it was great to see them again!

When we were initially at the airport waiting to get through final security on the landing day, the 747 and shuttle made a dramatic, VERY low flyby right over our heads. It was one of the most spectacular things I've ever seen, and when I realized just how huge it was.

And on the second day when I got to go up to the shuttle with the astronauts (the pics in this thread), I was almost walking around in a daze. The thing is massive and beautiful, and up close it's amazing to see the details. Sure I got reprimanded for touching it, but who wouldn't??

If you're ever in DC (Northern VA, actually) you really ought to go to the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space annex @ Dulles. They have this and an SR-71 Blackbird as well, among other historic planes. It's so cool to see such icons in person, and it was even more incredible that I got to get so close.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Firstly, thank you for sharing this... really.. It's stuff like this that makes me feel like a kid again, as we say back east- 'wicked exciting!'

wow. man do I love this stuff. I totally would have wanted to touch that bird also, I wouldn't be able to resist!

Curious- the INSIDE of what looked lke the landing gear door- it looks like it's a panel with glass or something?

When I watch what Nasa has accomplished, and what we as a species can put its energy into- I believe in humanity again. I wish we put more energy into Space Exploration then we did in wars. I wish it was that easy.

Great thread!! Thanks Steve!!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
The inside coating of the landing gear door looked like it was some type of metallic coating. Heat shielding no doubt. I can imagine the rubber of the wheels is pretty heavy duty but re-entry temps could do havoc.

To add to what you're saying, it's amazing to see these things, and watch programs on History/Discovery channel talking about the space programs. What's especially incredible is that they are largely venturing into the unknown. I mean, who knows what's going to happen on the moon until you actually get there. The men (and later women) who strapped themselves into these machines, trusting everyone else involved, have balls of platinum.

A real eye-opening comment I head from several astronauts as they were walking around the shuttle, examining it and no doubt relishing the memories was "I've never actually seen it like this" or "I never knew what this part looked like". Meaning they'd only really seen it from the cockpit or from afar while arriving for liftoff. Or the lucky few who got to go on space walks. They just strapped themselves in, trusted the engineers, and let their skills, training and creativity do the rest.

Just opening this thread back up and typing this, I'm kind of reliving those amazing couple of days. Like you, it made me say to myself: Man can be pretty amazing when he chooses!

Last edited by Pure Evo; 06-20-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GreenLantern You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Firstly, thank you for sharing this... really.. It's stuff like this that makes me feel like a kid again, as we say back east- 'wicked exciting!'

wow. man do I love this stuff. I totally would have wanted to touch that bird also, I wouldn't be able to resist!
+1

This seriously is an incredible thread / write-up / set of pictures. It's been amazing going through it all.

Many thanks for sharing.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Official Teamspeed Duck's Fan
BuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond repute
Wow Steve, I misses this thread the first time around. What an incredible experience for you and great images you captured! Thank you for sharing.