Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

X-47B conducts first flight at Edwards

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Eventually, those planes could also be controlled by manned aircraft or Helo's for a human situational awareness. Even Marines or Soldiers on the field.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
That is super cool. I just hope that they don't eventually phase out great fighter pilots and fun airplanes to be in.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Eventually, those planes could also be controlled by manned aircraft or Helo's for a human situational awareness. Even Marines or Soldiers on the field.
I'd remain more than slightly skeptical of that-- had UAVs evolved to their original concept, like the backpack types that are in service, sure. But the new gen stuff is hugely complex with a LOT of gear required to talk to them. That's not something that's going to get lugged around in the field, and they need a pilot to fly.

Something like this is really not very useful for CAS or any other close-in environment-- doesn't carry any useful weapons and the situational awareness sucks compared to a pair of eyeballs in the sky. All they're really good for is blowing stuff up from afar when we really don't want an aircraft there and the environment is too chaotic for a cruise missile.

I'd rather they blew the money on new A-10s.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
They will be far more capable then we can imagine at the moment. But they are working on manned warplanes having the ability to take it over, even partially.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
They will be far more capable then we can imagine at the moment. But they are working on manned warplanes having the ability to take it over, even partially.
I suppose, though I don't know that I'd want to have the workload of flying two aircraft at the same time, especially when one presumably has the potential to crash into me if it all goes pear shaped.

I dunno, it just smokes of a solution looking for a problem. The only way I could see controlling one from the air working, would be to feed it GPS/nav waypoints and tell it to go here and look at this-- but how useful is that, really, with awacs, satellites, existing drones and suchlike.

I just don't see UAVs displacing eyeballs in warplanes in any practical sense, any more than missiles replaced guns or multi-role F/A aircraft replaced the A-10, F-14, etc.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Well as someone who has spent a lot time flying in war zones, I wouldn't mind one bit if a UAV took the risks instead of me. Of course it's not "sexy", but it's lots better than getting killed.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
So badass it's crazy!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know about the "flying" it from another aircraft aspect as much as they are designed to pipe their intel feeds to multiple locations. So it is very probable a manned aircraft in theater could get the feed from the onboard sensor package from one of these.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Insman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the rough
The gear is retractable Blane.
My bad...

Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Do tell? I think it's quite the opposite...
It's kind of like a GT3 with PDK I guess.

Quick Reply: X-47B conducts first flight at Edwards