Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

The Future of Passenger Planes

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute_CEO_ has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
Can somebody tell me why in 2010, passenger airliner are still so slow?
Fuel consumption. When I fly private we beat commercial flights to the same destination sometimes by 20-30 minutes per hour. Typically due to throttle down flying I presume.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by _CEO_
Fuel consumption. When I fly private we beat commercial flights to the same destination sometimes by 20-30 minutes per hour. Typically due to throttle down flying I presume.
I'm not sure what you are traveling on while flying, but you are likely beating commercial flights due to differences in routing, and flying direct to destination instead of major airports. You also aren't dealing with TSA, security, baggage claim, so door to door is almost always faster.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Teamspeed Member
Turbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to beholdTurbo Al is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
uh, is that just one monsterous turbo-fan? and would it really work with all the thrust at the very end of the plane like that??!
Why not? It works in the 911.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
OK, let me rephrase my question.

It would seem like if we have the same progress as we have made on passenger cars, that we would have relatively affordable supersonic passenger airliners, as well as private planes that can fly supersonic.

That airliner died a few years back, and no replacement is coming to my knowledge.

Private supersonic jets?

I just don't understand why there has been such little progress in civilian aviation, and why it still cost so much, and it still takes about a day to get from LA to BKK.

I mean, in 1995 you could pay 100K and have a safe and reliable car capable of traveling at 185mph on the autobahn.

16 years later in 2011, it still takes about a day to fly anywhere in SE Asia, in planes that are such old design (747's).

I just don't get it.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:44 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
OK, let me rephrase my question.

It would seem like if we have the same progress as we have made on passenger cars, that we would have relatively affordable supersonic passenger airliners, as well as private planes that can fly supersonic.

That airliner died a few years back, and no replacement is coming to my knowledge.

Private supersonic jets?

I just don't understand why there has been such little progress in civilian aviation, and why it still cost so much, and it still takes about a day to get from LA to BKK.

I mean, in 1995 you could pay 100K and have a safe and reliable car capable of traveling at 185mph on the autobahn.

16 years later in 2011, it still takes about a day to fly anywhere in SE Asia, in planes that are such old design (747's).

I just don't get it.
One word. Liability.

The development costs involved in aviation versus the automobile industry are absurd because the standards for production, acceptance, tolerances, etc. are all much higher.

The alternator belt on my 1972 Piper Arrow costs $7 at the auto parts store, except I can't buy it there. I have to buy a PMA'd or STC'd belt from an authorized supplier, and that same belt is $78. And I mean same belt - down to the part number silk screened on it.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:52 AM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gobbles
One word. Liability.

The development costs involved in aviation versus the automobile industry are absurd because the standards for production, acceptance, tolerances, etc. are all much higher.

The alternator belt on my 1972 Piper Arrow costs $7 at the auto parts store, except I can't buy it there. I have to buy a PMA'd or STC'd belt from an authorized supplier, and that same belt is $78. And I mean same belt - down to the part number silk screened on it.
I have no idea if this is true of not. But I did hear my client tell me that if you go with one of those experimental planes you are then exempt? But if that's the case, why aren't more people doing it?

Last edited by stuka; 01-20-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Go ahead Gobbles. Blame the lawyers.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
I have no idea if this is true of not. But I did hear my client tell me the same thing about the same parts costing crazy amount simply because of this PMA'd or STC'd thingie.
So it's government's fault? Ohh wait is that political?

Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
All We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond reputeAll We'll Drive has a reputation beyond repute
I have no idea if this is true of not. But I did hear my client tell me that if you go with one of those experimental planes you are then exempt? But if that's the case, why aren't more people doing it?
Are experimental planes safe?

Old 01-20-2011, 11:38 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Bodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud ofBodhii has much to be proud of

Quick Reply: The Future of Passenger Planes