Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

SuperAWOS -- these things are awesome

Old 09-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow SuperAWOS -- these things are awesome

The SuperAWOS was invented here at our airport by the owner. We have one here and it is GREAT for doing radio checks during pre-flight (with read back and signal strength) plus the ability to get the actual weather conditions on Unicom while several miles out can't be beat.

They also qualify for FAA grant funding which pays for something like 95% of the costs so if you think your airport management might be interested in something like this, let me know and I'll point you to the right people.

YouTube - SuperAWOS is for Pilots

Old 09-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
That's pretty interesting. I wonder if it would be worth it to have this system at a private club. I fly into Ocean Reef (07FA) often, and it could be useful. It's a private strip, but lot's of small planes and private jets land there. Especially during the winter months and big holidays.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hernando
That's pretty interesting. I wonder if it would be worth it to have this system at a private club. I fly into Ocean Reef (07FA) often, and it could be useful. It's a private strip, but lot's of small planes and private jets land there. Especially during the winter months and big holidays.
It absolutely would. If you know someone there that might want more info on it, let me know. Our airport is inside the FRZ so less traffic than we would otherwise have, but I can routinely check the actual conditions from several miles out so I know exactly which runway to use, what the winds are, and if there is any possibility of wind shear (or a significant change in wind speed or direction on gusty days) it comes back up on frequency and just announces it so you aren't caught by surprise. Saves time in not having to over fly the airport if there is no one there to give a runway/weather advisory, etc.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gobbles
It absolutely would. If you know someone there that might want more info on it, let me know. Our airport is inside the FRZ so less traffic than we would otherwise have, but I can routinely check the actual conditions from several miles out so I know exactly which runway to use, what the winds are, and if there is any possibility of wind shear (or a significant change in wind speed or direction on gusty days) it comes back up on frequency and just announces it so you aren't caught by surprise. Saves time in not having to over fly the airport if there is no one there to give a runway/weather advisory, etc.
Sounds good. I will bring it up to them.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Insman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the rough
I like it and hope to see more of it in the future.