Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

Charter flights

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
kes7u is an unknown quantity at this point
Charter flights

Thank you in advance for any help!!

I currently live just outside Orlando, FL. My wife and I plan to spend 6 or 7 weeks each summer in Minneapolis for the forseeable future. We have a small, 40 pound dog that also needs to come with us! We don't feel at all comfortable flying him on the airlines.

Soooo, last week we just completed our first trip to MN, driving 12 hours on each of 2 consecutive days. Brutal. I really would prefer not to do that every summer and have started to consider a charter.

Does this sound like a reasonable situation to look into a charter? I've never done anything like this before, but is it possible to get a general idea of total roundtrip costs? (I was thinking it might be around 10-15k, but I'm strictly guessing at this point.)

We've already driven up and plan to drive home to get our car back, so I'm really preliminarily looking into this for next summer and the subsequent years.

Thank you!

Kevin

Old 08-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Going to cost you alot more then 10-15k round trip as well you will need to do 2 round trips as it is really a one way each time. I can help if you want to PM me not a charter guy but own 2 aircraft and I am a broker. The other thing is rates vary alot at various times as fuel prices change.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Thank you for the heads up. I think if we're talking twice those numbers, it may be out of my league. May have to look into renting a luxobarge for a more comfortable driving trip!!

Kevin

Old 08-25-2010, 02:25 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
easy fix : drive 4 hours down south - Miami area = win

Old 08-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
NEA Jets is a name known to allNEA Jets is a name known to allNEA Jets is a name known to allNEA Jets is a name known to allNEA Jets is a name known to allNEA Jets is a name known to allNEA Jets is a name known to allNEA Jets is a name known to allNEA Jets is a name known to allNEA Jets is a name known to allNEA Jets is a name known to all
Kevin,
Flying charter is certainly more convenient and enjoyable than driving and using the airlines. Although for your request, we would have to fly as two round trips (drop off in Minneapolis, then the pickup several weeks later). In a typical mid-cabin jet which can fly non-stop, the pricing would be roughly in the neighborhood of $45K, give or take. A large cabin aircraft could run about double that price, and a light jet would likely be in the mid $30K's. If you need additional information, please feel free to let us know.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe buy a small plane and learn how to fly?

Gobbles, how does the Stuka economics compute?

Old 08-25-2010, 04:11 PM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
Maybe buy a small plane and learn how to fly?

Gobbles, how does the Stuka economics compute?

Old 08-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond reputeMythic has a reputation beyond repute
no offense, but he i just a dog. he will be fine.

no way i am spending 45k because my dog doesn't feel like flying commercial.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Not that I'm an expert on charter rates, but I'm sure you can find something much cheaper than that. Especially out of Orlando. You don't need a midsize or large jet, you would do just fine with a Light jet like a Citation Ultra/Bravo/Encore or CJ2, you could look at a Lear 35, or even a King Air.

It's about 1,140 miles from Orlando to Minneapolis. So you could get there with one fuel stop in a King Air 200 or non stop in a King Air 300 or 350. You could also do that hop in many light jets like the Lear 35 or Citation Ultra. A King Air would be more economical because it's a turbo prop.

However, it might be interesting for you to call a fractional company like Plane Sense or Avant air which have the Pilatus PC-12 and Piaggio Avanti to offer. The Piaggio is a turbo prop with a huge cabin, is as fast as a light jet, and can cruise at 40,000 feet, the best thing is it's fairly cheap to operate.

With AvantAir you can buy prepaid time blocks, and they are located in Palm Beach. Really a great option that I recommend you look into.
Avantair, Inc. - Home

Plane Sense: planesense.com PlaneSense Fractional Aircraft Sales

I hope I was helpful. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes in the charter industry.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
ndiran1,

I see and understand your point of view. This has nothing to do with his comfort, but about avoiding his death! I realize we're over the top, but we don't have kids and he is our kid.

Hernando,
I appreciate your input. I'm going to start looking into all my options.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Charter flights