Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

Edwards AFB 2009

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 09:37 AM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Edwards AFB 2009

Being an aviation buff, I love airshows.
I've been able to participate in them since 1994, starting with the Confederate Air Force, now knows as the Commemorative Air Force; and also with the Army Aviation Heritage Association.

I've been able to fly some incredible aircraft, the pinnacle being spending 30 days as a crew member on Fifi, the last remaining, flyable B29 in the world. However, my role at the airshows has been setting up the pyrotechnics. This job... Truly is a blast... It takes roughly two days to set up all the pyro, and it is absolutely exhausting and filthy.

Much of this stuff is the ultimate "roll your own". Meaning, some of the charges are a mixture of certain powders, crazy det cord which is a charge unto itself, TNT, coke bottles and electrical tape. Oh... and jet fuel.

That said, I found some shots of the show at Edwards Air Base from 2009, and in them you can see some of my handiwork with the boom boom.

Too many pics to post, so here is the link.
2009 Edwards AFB Open House

This is a Kate, that started life as an AT6 Texan. It is owned by a friend my father and I. That torpedo actually contains luggage...

This is my favorite part of any show... It is so hot when I press that button!

Old 08-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome pictures my man. I had no idea you were part of the CAF, until you mentioned in another thread for the first time a little while ago.

I'm a HUGE fan of what they do. My goal is to one day have a nice collection of warbirds, and be part of the CAF. I've been thinking of starting off with a T-28 or a Navion with warbird paint (great airplane btw), nothing rare but it's nice and affordable (to a degree).

Old 08-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeDEEPBLUE has a reputation beyond repute
That's really cool, always wondered how to get involved in that when I was younger, still would but my travel /deployment makes it tough.

I've never been in a 29, heard it was a monumental jump over the earlier B's.