Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

TFR in Miami is BULLSHIT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
TFR in Miami is BULLSHIT!

Just had to vent! There is a TFR over Miami from Sunday at 3pm through monday at 4:59 pm. It has a 30 mile radius, and extends from the surface to 17,999 MSL. WTF!?! The stadium is at least 15 miles from the airport I use.

Is it really necessary to place a TFR over the whole damned city!?! I mean come on, 30 miles! It's not like I'm going to crash a plane into the stadium when I'm flying over Key Biscayne (it's 25 miles away from the stadium).

Thoughts on this, IMO, ridiculously over paranoid act are welcome.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
==> IMPACTED AIRPORTS <==

North Perry, HWO
Opa- Locka Executive, OPF
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International, FLL
Downtown Fort Lauderdale Heliport, DT1
Miami International, MIA
Miami SPB, X44
Fort Lauderdale Executive, FXE
Pompano Beach Airpark, PMP
Kendall-Tamiami Executive, TMB
Boca Raton, BCT

Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
You can still transit the TFR (I think). There is an inner 10 mile ring that is a GA no fly zone for the duration. Let me double check it.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Insman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the rough
Seems a little excessively large, we had one here in CA for multiple days around Pasadena for the Rose Parade, Rose Bowl, Parachuting and some other activities...

What are you flying Hernando ?

Old 02-04-2010, 11:42 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe it has something to do with response time, i.e. How long it would take them to scramble jets in time to get up to your wing and encourage you to change course before shooting you down.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, here is a better explanation:

FAA Preps For Crowded Skies For Super Bowl Sunday

February 3, 2010

FAA Preps For Crowded Skies For Super Bowl Sunday
Email this article |Print this article
By Mary Grady, Contributing editor

The Super Bowl, coming up this Sunday, is not only a big event for football teams, TV advertisers, and pizza delivery drivers, it's a big deal for general aviation, with lots of extra traffic expected for south Florida and special flight rules in place. The FAA will establish a TFR around Dolphin Stadium effective two hours before the Super Bowl begins until one hour after the game ends, approximately 4 p.m. to midnight local time. The TFR consists of two rings of protected airspace, 10 nautical miles and 30 nautical miles in diameter, from the ground up to 18,000 feet surrounding the stadium. The only flights permitted within the 10-mile ring will be public safety, military, and commercial passenger, cargo, and private charters operating under a TSA-approved security program. Flights by media, banner towers, blimps, general aviation, or any other flight activities, are prohibited. The 10-mile ring includes Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, Opa-Locka Executive Airport and North Perry Airport. GA aircraft at those three airports will not be able to arrive or depart while the TFR is in effect.

Flights will not be permitted at North Perry Airport while the TFR is active, but authorized flights will be permitted at Ft. Lauderdale and Opa-Locka. Within the 10- to 30-mile ring, general aviation pilots must tune their transponders to a discreet beacon code assigned by ATC, and pilots must communicate with air traffic controllers. FAA Flight Standards aviation safety inspectors will conduct intensive airfield surveillance at many South Florida airports this Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Inspectors will be at Hollywood, Opa-Locka, Ft. Lauderdale International, Ft. Lauderdale Executive, Homestead General, Tamiami, Pompano Beach and Boca Raton airports daily. During the game, FAA aviation safety inspectors will be stationed in Dolphin Stadium with the Miami-Dade Police Dept. and other law enforcement organizations to conduct surveillance of potential TFR violators, and to be available immediately to law enforcement if necessary. The FAA did make one exception -- it issued a waiver to allow a USAF B-2 Stealth Bomber to overfly Dolphin Stadium before the Super Bowl begins.

Sooo....just use flight following and you'll be fine.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:50 PM
I was waiting for Gobbles to chime in. Yes, I was aware of that. However, they are just not renting planes to anyone after 3 pm. And the people at Opa Locka is very close, if not inside the 10 mile ring.

I just think it's a bit excessive.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Full of Win.
Originally Posted by Hernando
I was waiting for Gobbles to chime in. Yes, I was aware of that. However, they are just not renting planes to anyone after 3 pm. And the people at Opa Locka is very close, if not inside the 10 mile ring.

I just think it's a bit excessive.
Unfortunate for the FBO to take that stance, but frankly with the myriad numbers of FAA people lurking in the region it isn't worth the hassle of getting ramp checked as an FBO, pilots getting ramp checked, etc.

We were ramp checked 2 weeks ago by the FAA by the very guy who came out to conduct a proficiency flight with one of our renters. What a complete PITA.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Full of Win.
And to your point, I agree it is excessive. It's essentially what we deal with here daily with the FRZ/SFRA around DC.