Notices
Aviation The Teamspeed Aviation Forum.

Drive by bombing -- Say hello to the Scorpion glide bomb

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Drive by bombing -- Say hello to the Scorpion glide bomb

Here's a nice little gem from Lockheed Martin. As the article suggests, it is intended for retrofit to various aircraft, but I can't help but feel like it has other applications, ala Grand Theft Auto. (prolly don't want to pace the bomb at the same speed though )

This Is What a Drive-By Bombing Looks Like - Scorpion glide bombs - Gizmodo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI14X...layer_embedded

Or rather, what it would look like: Lockheed Martin's Scorpion glide bombs, seen here floating toward their targets mesmerizing slow-mo from the bay of a high-speed ground sled, will drop from the skies, not the carpool lane.

The Scorpion is designed as a possible replacement for the current, heavier munitions on Predator drones, or, in concert with a "Gunslinger" deployment pod (not unlike a plane-mountable version of the aerodynamic ejection pod seen above) as a way retrofit heavier larger, typically less-armed planes with laser-guided bombing capabilities. Despite being years into the development process (these internal videos date back to 2006), Lockheed hasn't secured any buyers yet. And yeah, as far as weapons technology goes, the Scorpion is a relatively minor upgrade. But what isn't at all minor in the number of times I've watched these videos today, each time expecting an explosion, and never, ever getting it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4mln...layer_embedded

Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
OMG OMG OMG How can I get that installed on my SUV down here in Colombia. I want one soooooo bad. Don't ask me why, I just do. I'm sure that with a little black market research I can get one in the future.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hernando
OMG OMG OMG How can I get that installed on my SUV down here in Colombia. I want one soooooo bad. Don't ask me why, I just do. I'm sure that with a little black market research I can get one in the future.
LOL! Go figure the Colombian is the one to realize the potential!

Old 12-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gobbles
LOL! Go figure the Colombian is the one to realize the potential!
Of course I do. I would have so much fun with one of those things. Imagine all the cows you could obliterate.

J/K

Although it would be cool to have.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Full of Win.
I was just sitting here wondering whether I could adapt one of these to a Cessna Grand Caravan.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:21 PM
I was just sitting here wondering whether I could adapt one of these to a Cessna Grand Caravan.
I can guarantee you that it would be possible. Just remove the underside storage and it will fit there, or against the fuselage on the right side.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Finally! A complete, end to end solution for speed traps.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Full of Win.
Originally Posted by Hernando
I can guarantee you that it would be possible. Just remove the underside storage and it will fit there, or against the fuselage on the right side.
Yeah I could definitely make it work with the cargo pod area, but I was wondering more whether to bother with that or just alter the fuselage to accept weapons rails along the wings.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Yeah I could definitely make it work with the cargo pod area, but I was wondering more whether to bother with that or just alter the fuselage to accept weapons rails along the wings.
Shit, while we are at it let's just add both. As well as rocket pods, and a gun pod.

I would love to be able to actually do that.