Notices
Aventador | Huracán | Murcielago | Gallardo Aventador, Huracán, Murcielago, Gallardo, Superleggera, Coupe & Roadster Discussion Forum.

Lamborghini Performante review by Auto Express!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:31 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Lamborghini Performante review by Auto Express!

"It's the supercabrio that’s shed the kilos to punch above its weight! Lamborghini wowed crowds at the Paris Motor Show last month with its stunning Sesto Elemento concept, which tipped the scales at only 999kg.

Its influence is already being felt on the Gallardo LP 570-4 Spyder – and Auto Express was first behind the wheel, taking the newcomer from its Los Angeles Motor Show stand on to the road!

Called the Performante, the newcomer is essentially the drop-top version of the firm’s Gallardo Superleggera – which stands for ‘superlight’ – coupé.

The open-roofed car gets the same two-fold recipe of reducing weight and upping power. Thanks to an aluminium spaceframe chassis, the standard Spyder weighs in at 1,550kg, which isn’t particularly heavy in the first place for a car with such performance. However, thanks to the use of carbon fibre for the side skirts, rear wing and diffuser, underbody cover and even the wing mirror housings, the Performante’s weight has been trimmed by 65kg, taking it down to 1,485kg.

The new look adds even more menace to the Spyder’s chiselled body, giving it a lower and more aggressive stance.

The Performante is supplied with a small rear wing – but should you buy one, you can opt for a larger version.

Yet while the car has been lightened, it’s still not short of luxuries, including hand-stitched leather on the dash and swathes of Alcantara throughout the interior. Air-con and electric windows are also standard kit. And complementing the loss of weight is a useful hike in power for the 5.2-litre V10. Mirroring the Superleggera coupé version, the engine now puts out 562bhp instead of 552bhp, while drive is still to all four wheels.

Lambo’s e-gear automated manual gearbox is standard, although you can opt for the six-speed manual at no extra cost.

With the top down, the V10 barks into life and seems even louder than the Superleggera. Given its looks, the Performante isn’t the type of car you buy if you’re shy and retiring. But the engine is surprisingly unwilling at under 2,500rpm, encouraging you to use higher revs. The V10 really comes alive above 3,500rpm, when the valve in the exhaust opens to give you maximum power and a glorious racecar soundtrack.

The Performante’s claimed 3.9 seconds for the 0-62mph sprint seems entirely believable. The steering is surprisingly light at low speeds, but once the road opens, the 30:70 front-to-rear power split comes into its own to give a razor-sharp drive, while the four-wheel-drive chassis serves up extremely high levels of grip.

If you’re lucky enough to take the Performante on a track, the top speed of 201mph is achievable with the lightweight canvas top down, as well as up.

But, like all good things, Lambo’s latest car has a downside. The price is set to start from £190,000, which makes it a treat only a lucky few will ever get to savour."

Source of pics & text and to read more: Lamborghini Performante review | First Drives | Auto Express

Old 11-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Teamspeed Member
Spadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the roughSpadge1976 is a jewel in the rough
As much as I love the Gallardo, lets hope this is the swansong. Time for a replacement.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:37 PM
TS Official Automotive Enthusiast
D55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond reputeD55L has a reputation beyond repute
I like the looks, but really don't like the idea of building all that amount of special editions, with the Bicolore coming I have already lost the count. Again and again, I want to see the replacement.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:45 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I saw a Red LP560-4 Spyder, looked amazing so I guess this is going to look even better if you can get it in red.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
holy smokes did NOT notices that even front lip is painted same color as the body...that is a GREAT look...wow...gotta see it in more colors now...NOW!!!

edit...id also do a SPOILER delete...im no fan of them on convertibles...

Last edited by McRae; 11-26-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute670-SV has a reputation beyond repute
I want to see one in Verde Ithaca NOW!!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Valkarth is on a distinguished roadValkarth is on a distinguished roadValkarth is on a distinguished roadValkarth is on a distinguished roadValkarth is on a distinguished roadValkarth is on a distinguished road
Me too !
or in Arancio Atlas with orange caliper too

Old 11-27-2010, 02:28 PM
XTO
Teamspeed Member
XTO is on a distinguished roadXTO is on a distinguished roadXTO is on a distinguished roadXTO is on a distinguished roadXTO is on a distinguished roadXTO is on a distinguished road
Odd question but is that a flip cover for the satnav? Or is there no sat nav (weight reduction etc...?)

Gonna hold judgement till I hear some comparisons to the current lp spyder.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Originally Posted by 670-sv
i want to see one in verde ithaca now!!
yes yes yes!!!

Old 11-27-2010, 02:57 PM
contract neg repper for hire
mafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond reputemafishman1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by McRae
holy smokes did NOT notices that even front lip is painted same color as the body...that is a GREAT look...wow...gotta see it in more colors now...NOW!!!

edit...id also do a SPOILER delete...im no fan of them on convertibles...
I agree with everything you said there. I still say that I would much rather just buy the SuperLeggera, but I'm not a fan of convertibles at all. But it does look great. Better without the spoiler though.

Quick Reply: Lamborghini Performante review by Auto Express!