Notices
Aston Martin | Jaguar | Lotus Vanquish, Vantage, Rapide, DBS, DB9, XKR, Exige, Elise, Esprit, & More Discussion Forum.

In the Teamspeed Garage: The V8 Vantage Roadster

Old 06-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Teamspeed Contributing Editor
Auto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond repute
Post In the Teamspeed Garage: The V8 Vantage Roadster

Aston Martin 90210
By Stuart Schwartzapfel,

Post Date: 5/28/08
  • Base MSRP: $124,300
  • Engine: 4.3L V8
  • Power: 380HP, 302 foot-lbs of torque
  • Transmission: 6-Speed MT
  • Drive Type: RWD
  • Curb Weight: 3770 lbs.
  • EPA Fuel Economy Estimates [City/Highway]: 12/19 MPG
  • Final Assembly Point: Gaydon, Warwickshire, UK

Fast Fact:
The V8 Vantage Roadster’s fully automated soft top lowers in just 18 seconds at speeds up to 30 MPH

Hey Speed Freaks,

Just got back from the left coast, where I was testing the 2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster. I was in town for a wedding but figured that I might as well roll in style while my tuxedo was on. I stayed at the Avalon Hotel, a trendy spot with exposed stairwells, translucent lobby chairs and lots of poolside cabanas. AMC's Golden Globe winning show Mad Men had just finished shooting some sort of vintage Playboy-themed scene in the hotel and a very hot bunny stood next to me at the valet as we waited for our cars one Saturday afternoon. Just as she began walking towards her Prius, she caught a glimpse of the sexy Brit that was pulling up the driveway. "Hot car" she said, as those big beautiful eyes headed straight for me. "Are you in entertainment?” "No” I said, “but this car is really fun to drive." I was assured that had she not had somewhere pressing to be that her well-toned bottom would have been in the passenger seat to keep me company. You gotta love LA!

The Vantage Roadster felt right at home in Beverly Hills, where only "car people" bothered to pause their cell phone conversations long enough to sneak a peak as I drove by. To locals, it was just another expensive toy amongst the others that cluttered rodeo drive. Despite the Aston’s beauty, can you really blame them? I have never seen so many exotics in one place at one time short of a high-end dealership. Sadly, the weather in LA was wet and grey for most of the weekend so blasting out to Malibu seemed a logical choice when it came time to stretch out the Vantage’s legs a bit. And just like that, grey clouds turned to beautiful blue skies along Pacific Coast Highway just outside of Santa Monica. Whoever first conceived the concept of open-air motoring must have had the California coast in mind.

I have spent some time behind the wheel of the larger, more expensive DB9 [both on the street and the track] and it is certainly a GT car worthy of your respect. But like Bentley’s Continental GT line, the big 2+2 is more lush and muscular than it is nimble and involving. Precisely is the thought behind sportier V8 Vantage and its convertible variant. Take the DB9’s already impressive bonded aluminum VH structure and shorten things up a bit [The V8 Vantage is some 13 inches shorter than the DB9]. In fact, the V8 Vantage is a couple of inches shorter than the 911 that was used as a benchmark during development. The result is razor sharp handling and a much more engaging driver experience. Steering, however electronically assisted, is delightfully tight. All of this became apparent while tearing up the twisties on Malibu Canyon Road at speed. At 380 HP, the front engine V8 Vantage does not have the staggering power levels of other sports cars on the road today. Hell, the new Mustang GT500 KR has 540HP! But spec sheets really don’t tell the whole story here. From the 7500 RPM red line to that addictive exhaust that positively screams under acceleration, this 911-fighter is all about personality. And like the 911 Carrera S, the baby Aston is an incredibly well balanced sports car.

I don’t have many bad things to say about the V8 Vantage Roadster. It shines in all the areas that matter most for a pure sports car. But as long as we are on the subject, here are a few notable quibbles I observed inside. First off, my tester reported an error with the power operated soft top every time I opened or closed it. But there was never anything wrong. And while that finicky top is down, the sun’s glare makes it almost impossible to read the audio data on the instrument panel or the information being depicted on the flip up Navigation screen. Speaking of the Navigation system, I found it to be almost unusable. No matter what address I entered, the system reported some sort of malfunction in calculating the route. And even if the GPS worked properly, the little knob that operates most of the major functions was very difficult and slow to use. I expect more at a base price near $125,000. I also expect more standard features. Optional equipment includes heated seats [$450], cruise control [$450], Bluetooth [$750], and navigation [$2,655]. Aston even charges $450 to paint the brake calipers red.

Until next time

-Stuart

Attached Images    
Old 06-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Dave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond reputeDave S has a reputation beyond repute
Nice write-up, Stu.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:19 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Stu great write-up as always. Bummer that your camera got stolen and you lost all the original pics man!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DJ
Stu great write-up as always. Bummer that your camera got stolen and you lost all the original pics man!
Damn that sucks, sorry to hear.

So...if it was your money, 911S or Vantage?

Old 06-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Auto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond repute
V8 Vantage versus 911 Carrera S

Originally Posted by 4Wheels
Damn that sucks, sorry to hear.

So...if it was your money, 911S or Vantage?
I need more wheel time in that Porsche to make a decision. But the Porsche is a lot less money to start [starts around $90k for a Carrera S Cabrio]. And it is certainly the more sensible choice. I say looks, better sounds and sex appeal go to the Aston with slightly more dynamic performance going toward the Porsche. I feel like I am splitting hairs though. Life is full of tough decisions I guess

Old 06-03-2008, 05:57 AM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Auto Purveyor
I need more wheel time in that Porsche to make a decision. But the Porsche is a lot less money to start [starts around $90k for a Carrera S Cabrio]. And it is certainly the more sensible choice. I say looks, better sounds and sex appeal go to the Aston with slightly more dynamic performance going toward the Porsche. I feel like I am splitting hairs though. Life is full of tough decisions I guess
Haha yes it's one of those problems I wouldn't mind having, thank you for offering your insight.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Driver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond reputeDriver007 has a reputation beyond repute
Stuart I really enjoy your articles! When are you doing another one for TS?
I know you are busy at Businessweek but another one would be great!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:49 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
I think Stu has a Lp560 blurb for us soon, I will email him now

Old 10-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
Nice car!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute86blackwidow has a reputation beyond repute
The yellow vantage roadster looks amazing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In the Teamspeed Garage: The V8 Vantage Roadster