Notices
Aston Martin | Jaguar | Lotus Vanquish, Vantage, Rapide, DBS, DB9, XKR, Exige, Elise, Esprit, & More Discussion Forum.

Driving Jaguars at the Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Teamspeed Contributing Editor
Oversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond repute
Driving Jaguars at the Nurburgring

So, as some of you may know, my job is a half-decent way of earning a living. As a motoring journalist, you get to experience some of the finer things automotively speaking.

So when the email appeared in my inbox inviting me to test drive the R cars at the Nordschleife, I could hardly turn it down.

We were flown to Germany, where we first got acquainted with the Veritas RSIII. Now I've driven the original prototype - the one they had on Top Gear - but the actual production car with the V10 is far, far better. They finally fixed the steering so it's less likely to kill you while you drive it, which is nice.

Some pics:

Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Oversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond reputeOversteer Overlord has a reputation beyond repute
Next up was the Jags.

I started out in the XFR and began with the traction control set to track mode, meaning a little bit of play.

We began with sighting laps with Sascha Bert, a race instructor and driver in the Nurburgring 24hr, and they progressively got quicker and quicker. By the end, I switched off the DSC completely and got a few sideways moments happening.

What gets to you is how much difference in elevation there is along the length of the track. In the Jaguars we drove, it wasn't as bumpy as I expected, and what's amazing is (if you have the right instructor) there are so many corners you don't actually have to move the wheel for.

There are three quick lefts where you don't change steering angle at all, and there's a couple of rights at fairly high speed that you just hold and when you come out of the second on you are ready for the next corner.

There's a couple of blind corners you have to know the exact line for, but on the whole it was a lot easier than I thought, although having someone in front to follow does make it a darn sight easier.

If we were left to our own devices, I can imagine ending up in a big mess, because you don't set yourself up ready for the next corner.

It's quite a technical track, but once you learn the lines, it all makes sense. Watching some YouTube videos and how they have to fight the wheel is surprising except you realise that that's on the seven minute laps.

We were lucky to do 10:40 on our sighting laps, but when we sped up we just got under the tens. Not bad for a first timer I must say.

I tried the XJ SuperSport as well, and it surprisingly felt more planted than the XFR.

Next was the XKR-S, which is still a development mule. I'm not allowed to say anything about it until June 1, but take it from me, you'd rather buy one of them than an Aston Martin Vantage S.

My car first up:

All in all, a lot of fun.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:44 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the TEAM mate, glad to have you here. If you have interest in freelancing for us please shoot me a PM!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:46 AM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
They finally fixed the steering so it's less likely to kill you while you drive it, which is nice.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by DJ
Welcome to the TEAM mate, glad to have you here. If you have interest in freelancing for us please shoot me a PM!
PM sent!

Cheers!

Old 05-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a great experience! I hadn't realized Jaguar had a test center at the 'Ring. I'll be looking forward to June when you can tell us more about the XKR-S.

Nice shots of the Veritas, btw. It looks like a freaking shark!