Notices
Aston Martin | Jaguar | Lotus Vanquish, Vantage, Rapide, DBS, DB9, XKR, Exige, Elise, Esprit, & More Discussion Forum.

In The TeamSpeed Garage: The 2009 Lotus Exige S 260 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009 | 06:29 PM
|
Teamspeed Contributing Editor
Auto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond reputeAuto Purveyor has a reputation beyond repute
Post In The TeamSpeed Garage: The 2009 Lotus Exige S 260 Sport

Less is more in the 2009 Lotus Exige S 260 Sport
by Stuart Schwartzapfel, Teamspeed Contributing Editor
Sept 22, 2009

Fast Facts:
  • Price: $76,120 (including destination)
  • Engine: mid mounted 1.8 liter supercharged inline-4
  • Max Power: 257 hp @ 8,000 RPM
  • Max Torque: 174 ft-lbs @ 6000 rpm
  • Transmission: · 6-Speed Close Ratio with Uprated Clutch Plate and Cover
  • Drive Type: RWD
  • Top Speed: 150 mph
  • 0-60 MPH: 4 seconds (0-100 MPH: 10 seconds)
  • Curb weight: 2,020 pounds
  • EPA Fuel Economy Estimates: 20 mpg / 26 mpg / 22 mpg (city/highway/combined)
  • Final Assembly Point: Hethel in Norfolk U.K.
A flock of film students packing equipment into a van would not stop staring at me as I pulled up to the curb on Water Street in DUMBO. And it wasn’t because I lacked the requisite hipster mustache or flannel checkered button-down. They were gawking at the hyper exotic Lotus Exige S 260 Sport I was driving, which looks like the bastard child of an F1 car and one of those creatures from Ridley Scott’s 1979 classic Alien. And thanks to the Burnt Orange finish, a $3,300 metallic that you can see from space, the Lotus is about as inconspicuous as a Ninja wearing a florescent jump suit. Considering the downtrodden economy, a rush of paranoia came over me as I sat in the aluminum-laden cockpit of this utterly indulgent toy. But as it turns out, regardless of whether they knew what the hell it was, people were more than a little intrigued by the limited edition Lotus (only 50 will be sold in North America). One guy even asked if he could sketch his children posed in front of it.

The 2009 Exige S 260 Sport ($76,120 including destination charges) has no power steering, will send shock waves through your spine and is harder to get into than a no broker-fee apartment in Manhattan. It also represents the most fun a person can have on 4 wheels short commuting to work via Indy car. If you can manage to squeeze into the scooped out carbon fiber racing seats, the view is nothing more than exposed aluminum frame joints, racing pedals that are spaced mere inches apart and a sparse instrument panel consisting of 3 knobs. Creature comforts include A/C, power windows and an Alpine stereo that did not get used once during my glorious weekend with this British-born road rocket. If you need more in the way of coddling and creature comforts, don’t buy a Lotus.

Many of today’s sports cars rely on power to increase performance, which inevitably adds weight and complexity to the equation. Lotus, on the other hand, has stood their minimalist ground, seeking to add grins by way of lightweight design. And in the case of S 260, a limited-edition and more track-happy version of the company’s best selling Elise roadster, Lotus “added” performance by putting its predecessor (Exige S 240) on an 57 pound diet consisting of carbon fiber and light weight racing components like a motorsports battery and lighter flywheel. Oh yeah, and they squeezed another 17 hp out of the Toyota-sourced four-cylinder. Thanks to the mid engine placement and aggressive suspension set-up, handling and steering feel is still the most razor sharp in the business - only now corners come up faster.

Pictures don’t do justice to this car’s pint-sized dimensions the same way standing next to one can – the roofline is probably somewhere near your belly button. All told, the little Lotus (3.8 ft tall), with its aluminum chassis (155 pounds) and composite fiberglass body, weighs in at a bantamweight 2,020 pounds. Not a bad weight class to be in when your’re packing a high revving (8,000 RPM) engine that sends 257 supercharged ponies to sticky Yokohama 17s in the rear. The result of such a favorable power to weight is a blast to 100 mph in about 10 seconds (60 MPH in 4 seconds). For reference, Lambo’s 10-cylinder, 552 HP Gallardo LP560-4 weighs about 3,300 pounds and only has 3 tenths of a second on the little Lotus to 60 mph.

When you’re not throwing the S 260 around a tight corner or rocketing down a quick straight, it is actually quite difficult to live with. For starters, it has no rearview mirror. And who needs one anyway? The massive intercooler bolted to the engine behind your head blocks rear access anyway. The interior is hot, the engine is loud and the ride quality will put your chiropractor’s kids through college. Despite all this, the Exige S 260 exudes a level of pure driving pleasure that becomes more and more addictive with each time behind the Alcantara racing wheel.

Old 09-22-2009 | 06:46 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Great article buddy and thanks for bringing it out to my house in the hamptons last month! That thing was a blast!

Old 09-22-2009 | 06:48 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
Very good article. Thanks!

Old 09-22-2009 | 07:10 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Bonus points for not using the term "go-kart" anywhere in your article.

Oh, incidentally, it'll spin to 8,500 rpm for brief periods.

Old 09-23-2009 | 06:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Did you get to drive it in the wet? Must be quite an experience on those tires.

Love the car, just loose the stickers and it's perfect.

Old 09-23-2009 | 09:24 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
4wheels, ask Stuart the smile on my face as I drove it, simply awesome.

Old 10-01-2009 | 02:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
That looks AMAZING. Good write up

Old 03-19-2010 | 06:11 AM
Teamspeed Member
kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!kevin@parkplace You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
hands down THE most fun you can have sitting down - without someone in your lap....

I have one set up for the track and I never tire of it - 300hp and screaming loud! Pound for pound - dollar for dollar - da best...

I routinely lap cars 4 times the price... its a Toyota!

Attached Images  

Last edited by kevin@parkplace; 03-19-2010 at 06:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2011 | 01:25 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
El Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura aboutEl Wehbi has a spectacular aura about
Great article man and very insightful. I am considering purchasing one soon and every time I doubt myself, an article like this pops up which raves about the Lotus' abilities. Cheers!

Old 04-14-2011 | 01:00 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
travisman is an unknown quantity at this point
This must be the best article that i have read in here so far. That must have the best auto parts, since it has a great engine. I like the color orange that makes it more unique.

Last edited by travisman; 04-14-2011 at 01:01 AM.