Notices
Aston Martin | Jaguar | Lotus Vanquish, Vantage, Rapide, DBS, DB9, XKR, Exige, Elise, Esprit, & More Discussion Forum.

So I had a lot of fun today.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009 | 05:36 PM
|
Teamspeed Member
F1GTRUeno will become famous soon enoughF1GTRUeno will become famous soon enoughF1GTRUeno will become famous soon enoughF1GTRUeno will become famous soon enoughF1GTRUeno will become famous soon enoughF1GTRUeno will become famous soon enoughF1GTRUeno will become famous soon enoughF1GTRUeno will become famous soon enough
So I had a lot of fun today.

Just a little bit of backstory.

I got into cars when I was given a model of an 850CSi by my gran when I was 2 or 3. I was born in 1990 so that would be 92/93 and obviously around that time, Aston brought out the DB7. That became my favourite car (only reinforced by it being featured in the original Gran Turismo).

The DB7 was of course replaced by the DB9, which replaced it's predecessor as my favourite car, and now the DBS is out it's my new favourite.

Now last summer I got taken around an airfield track by a professional driver in a 360 Modena and thought it was one of the best experiences of my life, unfortunately at the time it was booked (about 8 months prior to it) I hadn't passed my test. So I vowed one day once I'd passed I'd have a go myself.

My sister got me a driving experience for Christmas, and as it turns out, I got to drive the DBS

Here's just a few photos of today's events.

(this was taken by a trackside photographer)

(obligatory ugly bastard pic there )

There were allsorts of cars there, including an LP640, Challenge Stradale and 599 and you could pay to have extra laps in those cars but I figured I'm in love with the DBS and wouldn't want any of the other cars to take the shine of it for now.

Old 09-19-2009 | 06:56 PM
Official Bowel Mover
TommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond repute
my sister got me an umbrella for Christmas.

Old 09-19-2009 | 07:24 PM
|
Teamspeed Member
F1GTRUeno will become famous soon enoughF1GTRUeno will become famous soon enoughF1GTRUeno will become famous soon enoughF1GTRUeno will become famous soon enoughF1GTRUeno will become famous soon enoughF1GTRUeno will become famous soon enoughF1GTRUeno will become famous soon enoughF1GTRUeno will become famous soon enough
Was it a nice Umbrella?

Old 09-19-2009 | 10:13 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
nice, sounds like fun! Btw, you look like the Cigcrazy of the UK.

Old 09-19-2009 | 10:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Originally Posted by ATL
nice, sounds like fun! Btw, you look like the Cigcrazy of the UK.
Hadn't noticed that 'til now.

Old 09-20-2009 | 12:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a fun experience! I can't believe you passed up the opportunity to drive all those other cars though.

Old 09-20-2009 | 02:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Bronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond repute
Damn, you are lucky you got such a nice sister!

Old 09-21-2009 | 04:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Sounds like a fun experience! I can't believe you passed up the opportunity to drive all those other cars though.
In all honesty, I can. The DBS is my favorite car by far, only the Zonda comes very close. I think I'd head straight for the DBS and only get out again once it runs out of the last drop of petrol.

To the OP, it always seems like the last ~20 pages of Top Gear/Car/etc. are full of ads for companies which offer driving days like the one you went on. I always wonder how much actual seat time you get because the prices quoted usually seem awfully low. Especially when compared with similar services here in Holland.

So if you'd please be so kind to enlighten me in return for this digital cookie I'd be eternally grateful.

Old 09-27-2009 | 10:12 AM
|
Teamspeed Member
The package was a demonstration lap in an M3 CSL/Impreza STi to take you around the track and explain about braking points, turn in points, etc.

The an outlap. three fast laps and an inlap in the DBS.

Then a fast lap being driven around in the CSL/Subaru by a professional driver (which was incredible).

In reality, based on track size, you're only in the DBS for 8-10 minutes, but honestly it doesn't matter to me because I doubt I'll ever have the money to afford one, and any amount of time even sat in the car is a dream for me (hell I'dve been happy if I just got taken to an Aston dealership and be able to look through the windows at the cars).

What sort of packages can you get over there?