Notices
Aston Martin | Jaguar | Lotus Vanquish, Vantage, Rapide, DBS, DB9, XKR, Exige, Elise, Esprit, & More Discussion Forum.

Test drove the V12 Vantage

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:50 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Test drove the V12 Vantage

The V12 Vantage and DBS Volante was launched for the first time in the world by a dealer on Thursday evening at a function in Sandton.

I was itching to drive the new V12, so I popped by the dealer to get my few minutes motoring bliss behind the wheel. Take note, South Africa (out of all places) has the first dealer demo in world!

I must say in person this car really has a presence, it is probably the wildest Aston Martin to be released for the road in our time. The bonnet in itself is a work of art. The giant buldge, those carbon fibre vents - just absolutely beautiful. The other cosmetic changes such as the extended lip on the bootlid (CSL style), front and rear bumpers made basically out of carbon fibre. I wasn't particularly fond of the wheels when I saw them in the photographs from the media, but I must say in person, I have changed my mind, they are magnificent!

The new updated interior looks great, the center console (as busy as it is) really looks the part for me. This model had the lightweight seats which looks great, they also hold you firming in place behind the wheel.

Now for the actual drive! I think one of the best moments it just before the engine is about to start, the anticipation of the sounds that are just about to be released - it does not disappoint! It has a truely angry and menacing growl. I must say it has one of the loudest startups from a OEM exhaust system out there. The visibility is good in general, but the cabin does feel a little small albeit the Vantage is not a very large car to begin with.

Onto the road. The car's suspension is ultra stiff, but it does absorb most of the bumps moderately. With the lightweight seats on our roads I think this could become quite painful to your back and rear end over long distances, or durations in the car. The clutch engages very clean and smooth - the pedal itself is very light, so the car is quite easy to drive. The thick alcantara steering wheel tempts you want to throw the car around turns even more. Feedback from the steering wheel is excellent! The carbon ceramic brakes took a little while to warm up, but after the first 15 minutes they worked like a charm. Now to feel the power at your disposal... The torque is gut wrenching, I wish I could feel what this car must go like at the coast! The traction control lights are flickering away and I was not even at the redline. I think due to the car with it's rather short wheelbase and the RWD setup, the car feels far more verocious than other vehicles in the similar category. The last car to make me that nervous behind the wheel was my old Noble. The V12 wailing and echoing off the building facades in Sandton was fantastic!

All in all, I think the V12 has filled all the checkboxes the V8 was missing for me. Aston Martin have truely outdone themselves with this latest edition to their line up. Well done!

Hope you enjoyed the read, now for the photos.

Old 07-19-2009, 04:07 AM
Banned
STLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond reputeSTLG has a reputation beyond repute
Let me just say that i'm so beyond jealous i don't even have a word for it.

nice write-up. think you'll be picking one up in the coming weeks/months?
did you get any pics of the interior?

Old 07-19-2009, 04:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Nice review Mike.

Did you pick up the latest copy of EVO? I was shocked by the V12's poor acceleration in gear compared to the other cars it was up against.

Glad you enjoyed the car - the V12 really does sound amazing.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:50 AM
ECB
Teamspeed Pro
ECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond reputeECB has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the great write up!
I really enjoyed reading it!

Did they tell you anything about the pricing on the car and/or options?

How did they manage to balance the car properly and "hide" they massive weight of the V12 on the front axle?Did you notice any understeer?

again,thanks for sharing your experience with us...it contributed to a hopefully nice Sunday

Old 07-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Great write-up, Mike! I'm guessing that this fueled the desire for your own car to arrive even more! What's the ETA on your white beauty?

Old 07-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
Nice review Mike.

Did you pick up the latest copy of EVO? I was shocked by the V12's poor acceleration in gear compared to the other cars it was up against.

Glad you enjoyed the car - the V12 really does sound amazing.
Hi LABrit, I knew the car was still not going to be the fastest despite the larger engine. I always like the Vantage, but the V8 wasn't enough for me. This has now filled all the spots the V8 was lacking. Having put that aside, trust me - this car might not be the fastest on paper, but behind the wheel it feels insane with the short wheel base.

Originally Posted by STLG
Let me just say that i'm so beyond jealous i don't even have a word for it.

nice write-up. think you'll be picking one up in the coming weeks/months?
did you get any pics of the interior?
I've had mine on order months ago

Old 07-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Great write-up, Mike! I'm guessing that this fueled the desire for your own car to arrive even more! What's the ETA on your white beauty?
Thanks Alz, you have no idea - my car is due to arrive in 2-3 months time. It will be the first customer car in my country.

Originally Posted by ECB
Thanks for the great write up!
I really enjoyed reading it!

Did they tell you anything about the pricing on the car and/or options?

How did they manage to balance the car properly and "hide" they massive weight of the V12 on the front axle?Did you notice any understeer?

again,thanks for sharing your experience with us...it contributed to a hopefully nice Sunday
They have, but it's nothing out of the ordinary with regards to options.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Chris888 has a brilliant futureChris888 has a brilliant futureChris888 has a brilliant futureChris888 has a brilliant futureChris888 has a brilliant futureChris888 has a brilliant futureChris888 has a brilliant futureChris888 has a brilliant futureChris888 has a brilliant futureChris888 has a brilliant futureChris888 has a brilliant future
Hey Mike, great wright up. Bet you cant wait to take delivery now.
Are the carbon ceramic brakes standard or optional? Probably optional, did you order them?
I love the vents on the bonnet, looks so mean. You getting a white one right? the vents are going to contrast really well then, going to look awesome!

Old 07-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
S-Fource is an unknown quantity at this point
Great review. Now I want one even more. Enjoy

Old 07-20-2009, 03:33 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
great review Mike, thanks !

Quick Reply: Test drove the V12 Vantage