Notices
Aston Martin | Jaguar | Lotus Vanquish, Vantage, Rapide, DBS, DB9, XKR, Exige, Elise, Esprit, & More Discussion Forum.

Jaguar XFR fastest cat ever at 225 mph!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:40 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Jaguar XFR fastest cat ever at 225 mph!

This record run was done at the legendary Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah where an XFR prototype recorded a stunning top speed of 225.675mph (363.188km/h). It is even faster than the XJ220, which managed 217.1mph (349.4 km/h) in 1992.

XFR prototype was powered by the all-new AJ-V8 Gen III engine, that has 510 hp. Don’t get confused by the look of this record breaking XFR, as these aerodynamic modifications were done to meet the safety requirements. Engineers played around with the ECU, air intakes and exhaust system and supercharger settings. These changes boosted the power to around 600 hp. The transmission and the tires were stock. Would be interesting to know what would have been the top speed if the engine had been left 100 % stock.

YouTube - Jaguar Bonneville Speed Record

Old 01-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Now that they can make cars, they need to hire someone who can make videos. That one gave me a headache.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
daedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond repute
Good god.

Its great to finally see Jag developing a new engine. let the old 4.2 suprecharged die already! Give us something new with more powahhhh!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
I liked the vid!!!!
I still can't see how they reached 225mph with that brick and only 600hp

Old 01-14-2009, 12:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
That was a great video! Glad to see Jag is getting things right again. They really do have a 200+ mph super saloon on their hands now.

I've been a long-time fan of Jaguar and I always thought they built exceptionally beautiful cars. When they switched to using aluminum for the XJ chassis, I was delighted and knew they were back on track, but the X-Type really tarnished their image for a long time. The S-Type didn't do much to help the brand either. I must say though that I am thoroughly impressed with the new XFR as well as the XKR and I hope this little rebirth for Jaguar will carry on for a long time to come.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:19 PM
ljg
Teamspeed Pro
ljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond reputeljg has a reputation beyond repute
I agree - its about time Jag got their sh*t together. The new XF and XK are definitely strides in the right direction.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ritesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond repute
I wish they would show us a REAL pic of the car so that We could see all the Aero details.

I don't understand how a 4200 Lb. car with 600 HP and STOCK tranny can do 225 MPH!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ritesh
I wish they would show us a REAL pic of the car so that We could see all the Aero details.

I don't understand how a 4200 Lb. car with 600 HP and STOCK tranny can do 225 MPH!
Aerodynamics, tall gearing and a loooooong stretch of salt. Weight doesn't play a major role in top speed runs.

EDIT:

Forget the part about those taller gears, according to the press release they didn't tinker with the gearbox.

“Running with minor aerodynamic and safety modifications to meet the requirements for a Bonneville run, the 225mph top speed was achieved with additional horsepower liberated by a remapped ECU, a modified air intake and exhaust system and revised supercharger settings. No internal engine components were changed and the six-speed automatic transmission was standard, including the gear ratios.”

Last edited by 4Wheels; 01-18-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
h-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond reputeh-bo has a reputation beyond repute
thinner tires? decreased downforce? stuff which makes it more difficult to handle. at 510 hp, with normal aero, 200-210 tops.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Teamspeed Pro
daedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond reputedaedalus has a reputation beyond repute
thats damn impressive that the standard car could hit 200mph most likely... What other 4 door can do that? Bentley Flying Spur and a W12 Phaeton with no limiter (essentially the same car as the Bentley) are the only two that come to mind.

Quick Reply: Jaguar XFR fastest cat ever at 225 mph!