Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   AMG (https://teamspeed.com/forums/amg/)
-   -   My SLS woes... what should I do? (https://teamspeed.com/forums/amg/67071-my-sls-woes-what-should-i-do.html)

Bisan 11-28-2011 05:07 PM

My SLS woes... what should I do?

I'll try to keep it simple...

We purchased a 2012 SLS on November 7th 2011 it arrived to the dealership a few days before. Picked it up with 36 miles. Over the course of the first week it had about 400 miles on it.

On Wednesday November 16th the car locked its transmission in park with the ebrake on and wouldnt let it disengage. After speaking to the dealership they had to send a tech to my house to put a hub-bearing on the wheel to get the car to roll. We had to push it down my drive (since the design of my garage wouldn't let a tow truck get to it.

They stated this has happened to a few people from 2011 model year; cars called for a new transmission, I wasn't happy about this, then they came back and said the control unit was bad and replaced it. Picked up the car on November 18th everything seemed fine.

Fast forward a week car was driven once since its trip to the dealership. I noticed the front grill had been pushed in and the tow hook cover kept coming lose. ZIP TIED it in place and drove to the dealership today the 28th.

November 28th drove to the dealership, they fixed the clips on the grill and sent me on my way. When I got home I noticed smoke bellowing out of the passenger side front end. Oil leak was hitting oil cooler and burning off.

Also noticed both headlights were flooded with water, (very heavy condensation). I am driving the car back to the dealership tomorrow.

Now here is my issue the dealership is 65 miles away from my house. In the first 3 weeks of ownership the car has had to be returned to the dealership 3 times. So out of the 700 miles on my car now 260 of them have been spent driving it to the dealership.

I know the car is not considered a lemon since they are different issues, but put yourself in my shoes. What would you do?

A) Ask for compensation for the hassle?
B) Ask them to find you a new car?
C) Demand they take the car back and go buy something more reliable?

I understand its a low production car, but most of these bugs should have been handled in the 2011 models.

I'm keeping my cool but just want some feedback on what you guys think its fair. Great site by the way, sadly this might be my first thread and its not a positive one!!!

TeutonicCarFan 11-28-2011 05:10 PM

Kill it with fire

STOPPIE 11-28-2011 05:16 PM

If you're in the US- go directly to MBUSA.

997carrerasblk06 11-28-2011 05:21 PM

I would be absurdly pissed...if they handle all the issues different story but it doesn't speak much for QA...

DJ 11-28-2011 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by STOPPIE (Post 1166644)
If you're in the US- go directly to MBUSA.

^^What he said and btw welcome to TEAMSPEED! :welcome:

burnzie 11-28-2011 05:29 PM

All of the above.

997carrerasblk06 11-28-2011 05:30 PM

and even if this car screams at you and leaves an oil slick that BP would be proud of, lets see some pics!!! :respekt:

Bisan 11-28-2011 05:48 PM

Should I wait to see what they tell me tomorrow, will they come back and offer me compensation on their own? Or being the bad guy is the only way I get compensation?

Plus I've bought 5 cars from this dealership and have an amazing relationship with them. And they have been great in all of this, I don't want to ruin that... Since they really do roll out the red carpet for me. But NEED compensation for the hassle.

Thanks for the quick info guys!

Fuel&Fire 11-28-2011 06:27 PM

Talk to your SA, and put a call into MBUSA... I'm sure the dealer won't fork up the cash but you can prob get something out MB. A letter from an attorney always helps to speed things up. Good luck.

wtdoom 11-28-2011 06:45 PM

Go direct to the source , MB USA or AMG Affalterbach . I must admit my sls has been absolutely bombproof . I use it as my daily driver and it gets death 24/7 .
Im sure they will put it right , it depends if you still want the car . Personally id let them sort it , it is a fantastic car .
Think you should get the matching AMG Luggage or racing shoes etc as a thank you for being such a cool customer though .

Harris@LamborghiniMiami 11-29-2011 11:39 AM

Andrew! Good to have you on board. Call me after you talk to MB

MeanMachine 11-29-2011 12:23 PM

I've driven the SLS on the track for 5 hours and bashed it with no problems its bulletproof, the same car has been going on a daily basis on the track for 14 days for the Middle East/GCC.

I am sure its an easy fix.

nrz 11-29-2011 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bisan (Post 1166633)
I noticed the front grill had been pushed in and the tow hook cover kept coming lose.

I don't like this part. No car with 400 miles should have the clips broken and the grill pushed in. I also wouldn't bother driving it back and fourth and request they pick up the car on their flatbed to avoid the miles on any future issues (may as well have them drop off a loaner at the same time). While your service advisor is probably handling the issue very well I would ask to deal with the manager for the remainder of the ordeal and put a call in to your sales rep/manager and ask for a owner to call so he knows what's going on. Keep your cool though and if push comes to shove reach out to MBUSA and then raise holy hell.

SATURN_rob 11-29-2011 01:54 PM

Welcome to the Team

I'd go with option C. I'm sorry about the problems with your SLS; don't get me started on all the problems I have with my Saturn.

I forgot to say, welcome to TS! :welcome:

You think you could post some pics of your SLS?

SirSpeedy7 11-29-2011 02:35 PM

Sorry about your issues and I hope they make good on the SLS!

Axxlrod 11-29-2011 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by SATURN_rob (Post 1167566)
I'd go with option C. I'm sorry about the problems with your SLS; don't get me started on all the problems I have with my Saturn.

I forgot to say, welcome to TS! :welcome:

You think you could post some pics of your SLS?

This guy just cannot be real...

samuel.g 11-29-2011 02:55 PM

:lol::lol:

slord 11-29-2011 03:27 PM

#WhiteGirlProblems

Bisan 11-29-2011 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Harris@LamborghiniMiami (Post 1167432)
Andrew! Good to have you on board. Call me after you talk to MB

Should have got a Lambo...

The tech noticed today that my front windshield was completely pitted. Mentioned that it looked like it had a 100,000 miles on it.

WTF! I think that was the straw that broke the camels back!

smokinghot4cars 11-29-2011 08:52 PM

I would drive that car another mile. Take it back demand your money back ASAP. Bring the local press.

Full Tilt Rally 11-29-2011 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by nrz (Post 1167553)
I also wouldn't bother driving it back and fourth and request they pick up the car on their flatbed to avoid the miles on any future issues (may as well have them drop off a loaner at the same time). While your service advisor is probably handling the issue very well I would ask to deal with the manager for the remainder of the ordeal and put a call in to your sales rep/manager and ask for a owner to call so he knows what's going on. Keep your cool though and if push comes to shove reach out to MBUSA and then raise holy hell.

I think this has been the best advice so far. There's no reason you should be driving back and forth to the dealer. My MB dealer will come and pick up my car if need be and I don't have a 200k SLS. Demand better service from the dealer.

Bisan 11-29-2011 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Full Tilt Rally (Post 1168114)
I think this has been the best advice so far. There's no reason you should be driving back and forth to the dealer. My MB dealer will come and pick up my car if need be and I don't have a 200k SLS. Demand better service from the dealer.

What dealer to you use?

Problem is last time they flat bedded it, it was brutal watching them struggle to put the car up the truck. Not the dealers fault but still... didn't want the risk of them damaging the car in case I am stuck with it!

Fuel&Fire 11-30-2011 12:06 AM

Did you call MBUSA yet? They will send a "inspector" to the dealer (unbiased) to check out the car - If I were in your shoes I would do that sooner then later

nrz 11-30-2011 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bisan (Post 1168335)
What dealer to you use?

Problem is last time they flat bedded it, it was brutal watching them struggle to put the car up the truck. Not the dealers fault but still... didn't want the risk of them damaging the car in case I am stuck with it!

Then that right there should indicate another problem. A dealer sellling $200k cars should know how to properly and promptly toe a vehicle, or have a company on hand that does. I do understand it lows and wide and all that but so are Ferrari's, Porsche's and Corvette's.

wtdoom 11-30-2011 11:35 AM

I think the first thing you should do is change dealers , sounds horrific !

Bisan 11-30-2011 08:12 PM

Small update. You guys and ts are my place to vent and at this point who knows when the venting will end.

Spoke to my SA today, he mentioned that Charlie H. a regional service advisor stated that smoking from the passenger brake duct was normal. Since it was just some water splashing up and steaming off of the oil cooler. Here is a picture... of what I saw after 1.5 hours driving!

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...p/22e337db.jpg

I have spoken to MB USA today they are forwarding me to rep tomorrow. The car is getting a new windshield because of the pitting (at 700 miles) and supposedly there is a bulletin on the headlights.

Then they came and took my sweet E class loaner and gave me a C class. lol I took my 08 Cayenne to a new dealership that I've never been too nor did I purchase the car from them and they gave me a 2011 Cayman as a loaner.

I know you guys are telling me to keep my cool, and I am (trying to) but I've kind of had it, I am going to see what MB USA and the AMG rep have to say. If I don't get some hella compensation for the troubles. I dont know what I am going to do.

Lemon law in Florida is 30 days in service within 2 years. I'm at 6 days in 3 weeks! Going to count down the days...

997carrerasblk06 11-30-2011 08:21 PM

This is like a nightmare every time I read it, I'm sorry man I think everyone here has been hosed one way or the other by a dealer. I hope everything turns out well in the end and hold in there!

ajindfw 11-30-2011 08:35 PM

Sounds like the car has had the front end repaired. Have an independent body shop check the paint/other tell tale signs of damage.

New car or refund.

cstroked 11-30-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by smokinghot4cars (Post 1168093)
I would drive that car another mile. Take it back demand your money back ASAP. Bring the local press.

Don't do this. That's the absolute wrong way to get anywhere with your dealer at this point - bring the press. Give me a break.

Take the car back and tell them you want MB to exchange it for a new one. I can't imagine that'd be a problem for them. See what they say when you go that route. You may need to discuss this with MBUSA.

SATURN_rob 11-30-2011 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by 997carrerasblk06 (Post 1169366)
This is like a nightmare every time I read it, I'm sorry man I think everyone here has been hosed one way or the other by a dealer. I hope everything turns out well in the end and hold in there!

I completely agree. Hopefully your car will get fixed sooner than later.

Bisan 11-30-2011 09:15 PM

I found these on my phone. About 30 minutes after I got home, decided to take some pictures of the headlight condensation as well. Might I add the car was never parked in the rain, it was driven from the house to the dealership. Then started raining on me on the way home from the dealership.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...p/95e32f53.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...p/3323837d.jpg

997carrerasblk06 11-30-2011 09:21 PM

[QUOTE=Bisan;1169441]I found these on my phone. About 30 minutes after I got home, decided to take some pictures of the headlight condensation as well. Might I add the car was never parked in the rain, it was driven from the house to the dealership. Then started raining on me on the way home from the dealership.[QUOTE=Bisan;1169441]

Uggggg

ErikD 11-30-2011 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by cstroked (Post 1169408)
Don't do this. That's the absolute wrong way to get anywhere with your dealer at this point - bring the press. Give me a break.

Take the car back and tell them you want MB to exchange it for a new one. I can't imagine that'd be a problem for them. See what they say when you go that route. You may need to discuss this with MBUSA.

exactly. ask for a brand new one. this car seems to be a car that just isnt what it is supposed to be. if your having these troubles now, who knows what is going to happen later. ask for a brand new sls, clearly you like it otherwise you wouldnt have picked that car. dont get another type of car altogether.

nrz 12-01-2011 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by ajindfw (Post 1169382)
Sounds like the car has had the front end repaired. Have an independent body shop check the paint/other tell tale signs of damage.

New car or refund.

I would do this.

waybomb 12-01-2011 01:08 PM

There's is some history to this vehicle not being shared with you. I think someone said it above - inspect VERY closely for past front half impact damage.

cstroked 12-01-2011 01:17 PM

Sounds like one of their lot techs or someone ran into it with something or ran into something in the car. I would ask for a refund or swap it for a new one. Take it to an independent body shop and ask them to have a look to see what they think. It'll be easy for them to spot paint work/damage repair. Are you near any board sponsors?

Axxlrod 12-02-2011 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by smokinghot4cars (Post 1168093)

Don't go to the media.

How much sympathy do you think he'll get with a story that reads "Man with $250K car having problems"...

TeutonicCarFan 12-02-2011 12:33 PM

Occupy AMG

Shutter Speed 12-02-2011 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by TeutonicCarFan (Post 1171154)
Occupy AMG

LOL

Seriously though, this is outrageous. I'd bring is back to MB and demand a new one. Way too many issues with it.

911Boy 12-02-2011 07:33 PM

There was a continuously returning proble with my mum's c-class the handbrake warning beep wouldn't stop so my mum asked them to service her car someone annoyed my mum my uncle works for Mercedes the lady that annoyed my mum now needs a new job but whenever I go with my mum to the MB dealership the service is always superb .
Bad to hear about your troubles my uncle took me for a drive in the sls prototype and the ride was perfect we were belting down the freeway with people yelling at us telling us to quieter down since it was midnight welcome to ts by the way :welcome: