Notices
AMG The Mercedes AMG Performance Model Only Discussion Forum.

Mercedes-Benz Developing SLC Sport Coupe To Take on Porsche 911

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011 | 05:24 PM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
great styling in that render

Old 05-24-2011 | 05:30 PM
Teamspeed Member
speedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nicespeedsters is just really nice
Soon enough, the 911 wont have a manual either so the points about Mercedes not having a proper transmission in this car is rather absurd... As much as it pains me, the manual gearbox is soon to be forgotten in all but the most hardcore enthusiast cars. At least when it comes to the big brands.

Old 05-24-2011 | 06:06 PM
Teamspeed Member
NAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the roughNAPO is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Majki
I agree their new cars looks absolutely fantastic, but proper sports cars? I would rather say "autobahn bombers" For me, sports car need manual transmision, rwd, over 7000 rpm, and N/A engines...

I didn't like MB before new E coupe, SLS AMG, now new C- coupe and this one SLC. But this are some realy nice cars. But I stil dont like stupid big tachos and big steering wheel.
The SLS AMG has all of the qualities that you listed, aside from having a manual transmission, although that would have definitely been an option that I would have wanted as well. The SLS is not an "Autobahn bomber" like all of the other high-horsepower cars Mercedes has released, with huge engines and automatic transmissions. It is their first actual sports car and I think they have done a phenomenal job on it. It does have a dual-clutch gearbox, but you must keep in mind that all of the new super sports cars have gone this route. Weighing in at around 3,600 lbs, it is heavy compared to some of the cars that it competes with, but I think Mercedes did a wonderful job on it considering that this is their first step into the sports car arena. I am not saying that the SLS is the ultimate track weapon by any means, but it is a true sports car (with GT qualities), and it does deserve some respect. I also think that this new SLC model will be yet another step in the right direction on behalf of Mercedes.

(I know the SLR is considered a supercar, although I have a hard time categorizing it as such because it is quite heavy and has an automatic transmission. These are two attributes that a supercar should obviously not have.)

Last edited by NAPO; 05-24-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2011 | 06:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
SL to a 911? not any day. The SL is a VERY heavy car. If anything this new SLC will be much lighter, probably sub 4000lbs to compete with the 911.

SL, SLC are two different cars. idk how anyone can sit there and say 'more upscale'? The SL550/63 are VERRRRRY nice cars.
STOPPIE- do you have any insight as to why MB does not offer the manual at all?

I know it is a dying breed. But there are those, including myself, who will only drive a manual.

Old 05-27-2011 | 02:23 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the roughSRatha is a jewel in the rough
I will be looking forward to the car. As MB are usually very heavy cars. I hope MB makes a very competitive with less weight to at least give Porsche a little push.

Last edited by SRatha; 05-27-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-27-2011 | 02:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
Gorgeous!

But they need to realize most 911-types won't even look at it unless it offers a manual. I also think this would help them snatch up a lot of bored BMW customers.
Unfortunately not the case. My guess is the VAST majority of new 997.2 turbos going out the door these days opt for PDK although a 6 speed is available if one so chooses.

Originally Posted by Majki
I agree their new cars looks absolutely fantastic, but proper sports cars? I would rather say "autobahn bombers" For me, sports car need manual transmision, rwd, over 7000 rpm, and N/A engines....
Interesting you say this but your avatar is a PDK equipped Porsche

And aside from the transmission issue, how is this a competitor to the 911? When was the last time Mercedes made a relevant 'sports car'?

Last edited by bonehead; 05-27-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2011 | 02:42 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!D.Liu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
as fast a porsche, as comfortable and luxurious as a mercedes?

Old 05-27-2011 | 06:45 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
STOPPIE- do you have any insight as to why MB does not offer the manual at all?

I know it is a dying breed. But there are those, including myself, who will only drive a manual.
Lack of demand overall. However pretty soon, most cars will have versions of a double-clutch transmission. Best of both worlds, for 98% of the MB buyers.

Old 05-27-2011 | 10:23 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
sk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond reputesk8boy has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone remember the old SLC concept from a few year ago? I thought that was pretty cool looking..

Mercedes-Benz SLC - Car News - RoadandTrack.com

There have been rumors for quite some time of a McLaren/Mercedes-Benz split from building high-end road cars. In fact, after the ambitious but not-very-successful Mercedes SLR McLaren, shared plans for a smaller (and more affordable) super-sports model were abandoned.

Instead, Mercedes' DTM partner — HWA — has been chosen to develop and build the baby SLR. This new SLC will be based on the next-generation SL (code-named R231, scheduled for 2011), a front/mid-engine car with rear-wheel drive, in contrast to earlier speculation of a smaller mid-engine Mercedes-McLaren. A show car is under construction and will be displayed at Geneva next spring.

You might be familiar with AMG, Mercedes' tuning division, but what is HWA? Actually, it's very similar. The letters stand for Hans-Werner Aufrecht, a former Mercedes engineer and co-founder of AMG in 1967, which itself stands for Aufrecht, Melcher (a business partner with Aufrecht, who later resigned) and Grossaspach (the village name of AMG's first headquarters near Stuttgart).

Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2011 | 06:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
But they need to realize most 911-types won't even look at it unless it offers a manual.
Why? PDK sales trump those from 6MT cars.