Notices
AMG The Mercedes AMG Performance Model Only Discussion Forum.

SLS on/off carbon ceramic brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
yimn is an unknown quantity at this point
SLS on/off carbon ceramic brake

I got a 2010 SLS with Carbon Ceramic Brake. I am having problem modulating the brake as after the initial few mm of pedal travel, the brake just hits very hard, making it very difficult to have smooth braking. Anyone share the same problem and any solution? Thx

Old 03-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Maxtheone You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
well i can`t tell exactly about the sls ceramic brake, but in general this is quite normal for a ceramic brake. they just don't work that well when they are cold, try to brake them really hot, the pedal feel and also the power gets much better...

Old 03-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Teamspeed Member
sunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant futuresunset has a brilliant future
I don't have the CC brakes on my SLS but even the standard brakes are very hard to modulate. I have also noted the same thing in other cars with the CC brakes. Seems to be less of a problem during "normal" driving but more difficult when parking, etc.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
My CC brake on Ferrari and Porsche don't have such a problem while Lambo's seems to suffer the same problem. Any potential solution will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Mercedes-Benz ceramics have always had this complaint since inception on their first road cars equipped with them(SLR).

When I drove the SLS, it was not as bad as the SLR - but it was definitely still over sensitive. You just get used to it after a while.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Does it make a difference when the brake is probably warmed up? How about changing the pad to one that is less grippy?

Old 03-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
tem07 is infamous around these partstem07 is infamous around these parts
I agree with Mike S, with first time driving the SLR my initial reaction was "WTF?!" as you have to hit them pretty hard and reach down... so no smooth braking!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Buzz will become famous soon enoughBuzz will become famous soon enoughBuzz will become famous soon enoughBuzz will become famous soon enoughBuzz will become famous soon enoughBuzz will become famous soon enoughBuzz will become famous soon enough
I have ceramics on the SLS and the R8V10, the R8 is very sensitive...the SLS is much better, but once these are hot you can never beat the braking power.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Fuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond repute
Wow all these SLS/SLR owners/members I've never heard of... You guys need to get to posting more pictures of your Rides!!

Old 03-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Buzz will become famous soon enoughBuzz will become famous soon enoughBuzz will become famous soon enoughBuzz will become famous soon enoughBuzz will become famous soon enoughBuzz will become famous soon enoughBuzz will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Fuel&Fire
Wow all these SLS/SLR owners/members I've never heard of... You guys need to get to posting more pictures of your Rides!!
Already did...

https://teamspeed.com/forums/amg/524...-2011-sls.html

Buzz

Quick Reply: SLS on/off carbon ceramic brake