Notices
AMG The Mercedes AMG Performance Model Only Discussion Forum.

Left Lane Review 2011 M-B G55

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post Left Lane Review 2011 M-B G55

Left Lane News gets behind the wheel of the 2011 G55, enjoy:
The apocalypse, if you’re a member of the Mayan Book-a-Month Club, is only about two years away. That doesn’t give you much time to start packing away necessary items to ward off zombies and the like, but you should still be able to spend a few minutes researching the right vehicle in which to ride out the world’s impending doom.

A Ford F-150 SVT Raptor comes to mind, as does a fleet of more utilitarian Volvo 240s or Mercedes-Benz 240Ds, but the Monster Energy Drink crowd might have fetched all the Raptors and you’ll spend half of a decade scraping hipster bumper stickers off of those 30-year-old European hoopties.

How about something with a little more class – and enough scoot to leave virtually anything in your dust, aside from maybe Will Smith’s Ford Shelby GT500?

Enter the Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG, the six-figure Swiss Army Knife on wheels that seems to tick off just about every box in our list of “items we want in our dream car.”

What is it?
Take a hand-built, 500-horsepower supercharged V8, add infour exhaust pipes exiting in pairs ahead of the rear wheels, slap on a simple squared-off body riding on a separate ladder-type chassis, toss in three locking differentials and two robust solid axles and then wrap the interior interior in leather.

There, you have it. The Mercedes-Benz G55 AMG. It’s the most absurd vehicle on the market, but its ever-lasting appeal still manages to find plenty of buyers across the globe. Mercedes-Benz intended to kill off its rugged G-Class – the name stems from Geländewagen, which is German for “over-land vehicle” – about a decade ago, but military contracts and well-heeled shoppers couldn’t get enough of them, so production will continue for at least five more years.

The G was introduced all the way back in 1979 as a civilian model, although it didn’t officially come to America until 2002 despite a plethora of gray market imports. Along the way, Mercedes has seen fit to equip it with a number of advanced features, but there’s no denying that this is an old vehicle at its core. Measuring just 184.5 inches from head to toe, it is five inches shorter than a Jeep Grand Cherokee – already among the trimmest midsize ‘utes.

It was designed initially for military use and most civilized and uncivilized nations still place orders for specially-equipped models. Those military-spec Gs are built right alongside luxurious civilian models, although German production precision probably means you won’t find a machine gun “accidentally” installed on a G55 AMG.

Built under contract in Austria by Magna-Steyr, the G-Wagen comes in two flavors for American buyers – the fairly tame G500 and the positively manic G55 AMG. Guess which one would sit in our apocalyptic garage?

What’s it up against?
We can’t think of any high-performance tanks (aside from this one), so it’s hard to come up with rivals. You might want to look at a Porsche Cayenne Turbo or a Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged, but neither matches the G55′s outlandish nature.

Imagine if Ferrari made a station wagon, Lamborghini decided to get into the minivan class or Aston Martin introduced a city car (oh, wait). Those might top the G55 in terms of craziness.

Any breakthroughs?
Look beyond the acres of fragrant cow hide, wood trim and fancy audio equipment and you’ll find a simple four-wheel-drive vehicle designed back before the words “sport” and “utility” were ever nestled together.

As such, it’s hard not to be pleased with the G55′s off road features in this era where Jeep and Land Rover both offer all-wheel-drive cars with lift kits. Three locking differentials – actuated by a trio of dashboard-mounted buttons – and solid front and rear axles mean the G55 is matched only by the Jeep Wrangler and heavy duty pickups for off road cred.

How does it look?
We kept pulling at the fenders to see if our G55 was still in the proverbial “box it came in,” but these creases and sharp angles are the real deal. The antithesis of the shapely Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, the G-Class seems to have been designed with a straight edge and a German sense of purpose. That’s because it was.

Unlike virtually anything else on the market, the G55 eschews curves in favor of upright doors and a nearly vertical windshield. The AMG treatment added special 19-inch alloy wheels, chrome running boards and chrome brush guards, making this undoubtedly the only AMG product ever equipped with off road-oriented features. We bet the AMG team felt more at home designing the exhaust, which exits the vehicle just ahead of each rear wheel with two chromed pipes per side. Yeah, baby!

Over the years, Mercedes-Benz saw fit to update its basic shape with a slightly more rounded fascia, HID headlamps and more aerodynamic mirrors, but most of the design is pure ’70s utility, all the way down to the “stick your finger in” panel gaps.

And on the inside?
Updated with Mercedes-Benz’s newest switchgear, a version of its COMAND infotainment and navigation system and plenty of leather, the G55 nonetheless shows its age inside even more than it does outside.

Fancy features can’t hide its awkward proportions, like limited passenger space – especially in the three-seat second row – and its narrow cabin. The front seats are chair-like, mounted high off the floor and boasting inflatable air bladders for more adjustability, as well as built-in heating and air conditioning. They are firm and Germanic in every sense of the word.

Ahead of the driver sits an upright dashboard swathed in rich burl wood. The radio controls are down near the driver’s knees, while the climate controls are just slightly above his ankles. Ergonomics are not the modus operandi here, unless you’re reaching for the differential locks.

A massive and heavy swing-out tailgate reveals a boxy but capacious cargo area. Earlier Gs featured a pair of jump seats for sixth and seventh passengers, but they’re now a thing of the past.

As its price and its three-pointed star would suggest, materials and assembly are generally top notch unless their inherent age suggests otherwise. A pair of speakers mounted to the D-pillars in the cargo area look like they came from AutoZone and the basketball net-style single front cupholder is laughable....
For the full article head over to -> Left Lane News

Attached Images       
Old 01-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
silversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond repute
Good review and pretty much exactly how I felt about the 07 G55 I owned for all of 4 months. Too much power, too top heavy, too twitchy, too much of a contradiction for a daily driver...but it makes me sad to think so.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!asg612 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by silversurfer
Good review and pretty much exactly how I felt about the 07 G55 I owned for all of 4 months. Too much power, too top heavy, too twitchy, too much of a contradiction for a daily driver...but it makes me sad to think so.
Been driving the G55 daily for about 1 year. Its great on the highways - Eat drinks gas like its water. AS my kids are getting bigger, the room in the back seat is tight.

What did you replace your DD G55 with back in 07?

I'm thinking either RR Supercharged or Cayenne Turbo -

I also had a thought of the ML63 AMG - Saw one - looked really nice. Probably handles much better than the G. But is it too "mommy-ish"?

Best,

asg

Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Ced
Official CED
Ced has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond repute
I'd go with a RR.
So majestic!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
I like the RR, would rather own two but If I had to choose one it would be the G55.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:40 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Dktran31 is on a distinguished roadDktran31 is on a distinguished roadDktran31 is on a distinguished roadDktran31 is on a distinguished roadDktran31 is on a distinguished roadDktran31 is on a distinguished road
The G is a classic SUV. But I would rather buy a RR supercharged

Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
silversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond reputesilversurfer has a reputation beyond repute
A friend just bought an Autobiography RR and loves it.

I, myself, went straight into a V10 Touareg and haven't looked back.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
djantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond reputedjantlive has a reputation beyond repute
Er, the G has two engines now - 550 and 55. The review is for 2011?

Old 01-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Teamspeed Member
nyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of lightnyc123 is a glorious beacon of light
I also had only a short time keeping my 2010 g55, only a few months or so. I loved the feel of being inside the truck, loved the looks, the vault like feel, but the ride was just way too harsh on my back and the very small backseat was difficult with kids and car seats. I ended up going with a 2011 RR supercharged which I love, and getting I am 1997 Defender 90 Wagon next week for short trips, for that more truck like feeling. I think that combo will serve me better. That being said, I still miss the G55 every time I see one on the road. Nothing else has the same feeling as being inside a G55, but that great feeling always turned into a back pain after more than 15 minutes on the rd

Old 01-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Vincent@CEC is a splendid one to beholdVincent@CEC is a splendid one to beholdVincent@CEC is a splendid one to beholdVincent@CEC is a splendid one to beholdVincent@CEC is a splendid one to beholdVincent@CEC is a splendid one to beholdVincent@CEC is a splendid one to beholdVincent@CEC is a splendid one to beholdVincent@CEC is a splendid one to beholdVincent@CEC is a splendid one to beholdVincent@CEC is a splendid one to behold
I like the G55 because it never gets old but RR's are much more comfortable as a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Left Lane Review 2011 M-B G55